Good-looking file manager?

Post by Jay » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 07:44:20

Hello,

I'm going to show a few people that Linux can be as full of eye candy as
other OS's.
I'm looking for a nice file manager that doesn't run in KDE (I only have
Gnome and Fluxbox and can't be bothered to install KDE to show Konqueror
to people).
I'm not talking about Gentoo or Midnight Commander look-alikes but about
some Konqueror/Nautilus equivalent.
Thanks for your help!

--
Toshiba laptop - P IV 1.7 GHz - 512 Mb DDR - Debian GNU/Linux (testing)

Good-looking file manager?

Post by Jay Goldber » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:37:39

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 00:44:20 +0200, Jay opened his mouth and said:

Quote:> Hello,

> I'm going to show a few people that Linux can be as full of eye candy as
> other OS's.
> I'm looking for a nice file manager that doesn't run in KDE (I only have
> Gnome and Fluxbox and can't be bothered to install KDE to show Konqueror
> to people).
> I'm not talking about Gentoo or Midnight Commander look-alikes but about
> some Konqueror/Nautilus equivalent.
> Thanks for your help!

How about Nautilus :-). You make it sound as though you think it is a KDE
thing. Nautilus is a GNOME Filemanager. Personally, I think it's
ridiculously full of eye-candy, even moreso than Windows Explorer for XP.
If it's not what you're looking for, try a search/directory browse at
Google, or SourceForge.net, you'll probably find dozens of projects, most
of which will compile and install.
You will have spent hours getting them running and your Windows-lubbing
friends would never know in their 2 minute peek at your chosen Linux file
manager. Welcome to the Linux/UNIX world!

-Jay G.

1. Looking for a good file manager

I' m looking for a good file manager to save the work (and time) of using the
shell command line.  Just to do usual things like copy, move, rename and delete
files, allowing the user to choose the editor and the viewer he wants to use.
A good file manager must have the possiblity of select (tag) files for
posterior operations, but besides that, it must make distinction between the
same operation made in the current file, and the operation made with the tagged
files.
A great file manager is XTree Gold, for MS-DOS.  Something that resembles this
program would be marvelous !
If there is such a program i'd like to know.

Thanks in advance.

Jose Augusto.

2. FBSD 4.3 box freezing up -- help me

3. Looking for a good AddressBook/Contact Manager

4. Can't start Netscape Calendar Server 3.5

5. Looking for a good boot manager

6. OT:Microsoft Hits Downslope

7. Best window manager:low ram, good looks?

8. Linux systems- Poor security

9. File Manager's Find command causes File Manager to close - why?

10. why can't i find any good GUI file managers?

11. A good file manager

12. Could someone recommend a good file/program manager?

13. good file manager for unix