Success/Failure with newest nvidia drivers?

Success/Failure with newest nvidia drivers?

Post by Michael Per » Mon, 21 May 2001 04:55:09

I have a pretty nicely working system right now with 0-9.769 drivers.  What
will the newer drivers give me?  I am using them on a diamond viper 770d and
a GeForce 2mx card.  Any issues I should be aware of with these drivers?  I
read about an issue with acrobat reader and the new drivers.  Any other
issues or problems besides the font one?

--
Michael Perry

--------------------

Post by Ron Nicholl » Mon, 21 May 2001 13:21:22

> I have a pretty nicely working system right now with 0-9.769 drivers.  What
> will the newer drivers give me?  I am using them on a diamond viper 770d and
> a GeForce 2mx card.  Any issues I should be aware of with these drivers?  I
> read about an issue with acrobat reader and the new drivers.  Any other
> issues or problems besides the font one?

> --
> Michael Perry

> --------------------

A couple of posts I've read cause me to wonder
about new driver.

Unless nvidia release the hardware details so decent
drivers can be written, the next card purchase wont be
geforce.

--
-
-

Post by Andy Walke » Tue, 22 May 2001 02:01:51

>A couple of posts I've read cause me to wonder
>about new driver.

>Unless nvidia release the hardware details so decent
>drivers can be written, the next card purchase wont be
>geforce.

>--
>-
>-
>-
>Regards RonN

I echo these sentiments, perhaps if everyone e-mails NVidia with complaints
they will change their ways. The software should be part of XFree86 and not
a poorly written bolt on extra that crashes your machine after spending the
best part of a week getting it to work!

Post by Michael Per » Wed, 23 May 2001 23:24:55

> Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Ron Nicholls;

>>> I have a pretty nicely working system right now with 0-9.769 drivers.  What
>>> will the newer drivers give me?  I am using them on a diamond viper 770d
>>> and a GeForce 2mx card.  Any issues I should be aware of with these
>>> drivers?  I read about an issue with acrobat reader and the new drivers.
>>> Any other issues or problems besides the font one?

>>> --
>>> Michael Perry

>>> --------------------

>>A couple of posts I've read cause me to wonder
>>about new driver.

>>Unless nvidia release the hardware details so decent
>>drivers can be written, the next card purchase wont be
>>geforce.

> They at least are trying, in that they released a newer set of drivers
> a couple of days ago, the announcement was on LinuxToday at the time.

> Cheers, Gene
> --

>    email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

I would tend to agree on both counts actually.  It appears that nvidia is
trying and I think they should open things up and let some others in to
assist.  I understand that the drivers are a complementary effort between
SGI, VA, and Nvidia?

Some of the issues I have seen raised about the new drivers include the
failure of acrobat reader to run correctly, some video corruption at times,
fonts defaulting to a larger size initially.  Any others people are aware
of?

--
Michael Perry