X login

Post by Christopher Paren » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

This a newbie question...well.I'm new just to X really.  I want to be able
to have an X window login for each new user the comes on.  and I also want
it so that the machine doesn't reboot for every new user either.  How can I
achieve this? (So x automatically loads..)

Chris

P.S. I would like to see this done using RedHat 5, and Xfree86

X login

Post by Christopher Paren » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

This a newbie question...well.I'm new just to X really.  I want to be able
to have an X window login for each new user the comes on.  and I also want
it so that the machine doesn't reboot for every new user either.  How can I
achieve this? (So x automatically loads..)

Chris

P.S. I would like to see this done using RedHat 5, and Xfree86

X login

Post by Helge Kru » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> This a newbie question...well.I'm new just to X really.  I want to be
able
> to have an X window login for each new user the comes on.  and I also
want
> it so that the machine doesn't reboot for every new user either.  How can
> achieve this? (So x automatically loads..)

Look at /etc/inittab. The initial run level should be 3 instead of 2.
init will start xdm, what gives you an X-login. I hope you have installed
xdm.

Helge

1. Login without login getting recorded into last login file

Is there anyway to login to an account 'as a normal user' without your
login getting recorded into the last login file.

I know that this is a binary file and no one could re-write it. Moreover,
I know that .hushlogin file could also be created in /etc and that would
tell the system not to record the current login, but you would have to be
GOD (root) to be able to create that file in /etc

So, I would appreciate any assistance that anyone could offer on this
matter.

**     WILLIAM GHORISHI                                           **
**     DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE, UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO      **

**     URL          :   http://www.scar.utoronto.ca/~93ghoris/    **
**     BELIEF       :   "GOD IS REAL, UNLESS CAST TO AN INTEGER!" **

2. Lilo will not boot on big hard drive

3. getting users login name after login from server

4. O_DIRECT for ext3 in 2.4.20?

5. Failed logins - login.defs

6. 2.1.122-pre2 CDROM troubles.

7. No login? Cant login.

8. FreeBSD Installation Problem

9. New Login Prompt after Login Attempt HELP!!!

10. XDM login vs remote login (determining which one)

11. how to substitute the remote login menu for the regular login text box in CDE.

12. cde login does not read .login Solaris 2.5.1

13. Pre-Login and Login Messages?