XDMCP remote X login

Post by security_ind » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:09:52

Hi,
     I am new to Linux world. Please help me about remote X login
security issues. I want to setup xdm remote login on some computers on
the internet. How secure is XDMCP? How can i protect my computers if
XDMCP is not secure? Also references to some pages about X security
will be helpful.
     Thanks in advance
regards
wces

XDMCP remote X login

Post by Dave Mille » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 03:06:10

> Hi,
>      I am new to Linux world. Please help me about remote X login
> security issues. I want to setup xdm remote login on some computers on
> the internet. How secure is XDMCP? How can i protect my computers if
> XDMCP is not secure? Also references to some pages about X security
> will be helpful.
>      Thanks in advance
> regards
> wces

Wouldn't you be better using ssh and X11 forwarding? You would be able to
use either password or the more secure public/private key authentication.

If you type:

+ssh +"x11 forwarding"

(with the quotes) into google, you should find lots of HOWTOs.

HTH
Dave

1. remote login through xdmcp not working

Hi, this is a bit long so bear with me.

I'm trying to login using Linux to OpenBSD 3.1. I want to run xdm on the
obsd machine, X on linux and get a login window (which isn't happening,
or I wouldn't be taking your time...).

Here's what I've done:
1. Edited /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:
        * put '!' infront of DisplayManager.requestPort:0
        * added DisplayManager*chooser: /etc/X11/xdm/chooser
2. Edited /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess so that all clients can access           (uncommented
the '*').
3. Configured X for my video card, keyboard and mouse (starts ok
locally, using startx or X).
4. Added to Xservers the '<name of linux machine>:1 foreign'
5. Added a file /etc/X0.hosts containing the hostname of the linux
machine, and a symlinkt to it, named /etc/X1.hosts (just in case).

Now, I start up xdm as root 'xdm -config /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config'.
Then, on the linux machine I do 'X :1 -query 192.168.0.2', which starts
up a second display fine, but no login prompt appears.

I know that there is somesort of a connection between the two machines,
since when I do netstat on either I can see a session between linux
machine port 6001 and xdm on obsd.

As I said, X on linux starts with no complaint. xdm on obsd complains
about pckbc, but that's if there's no keyboard attached. The main issue
(no login prompt) isn't solved when I connect a keyboard, anyway.

Any ideas people?

TIA,
Gad

2. AWE 32 Sound drivers

3. Remote logins via xdmcp

4. "ncurses"--help needed....

5. How to login to a remote X session with XDMCP ?

6. source code for "host" command

7. remote login using XDMCP with GDM

8. FTP site mirror software

9. XDM login vs remote login (determining which one)

10. how to substitute the remote login menu for the regular login text box in CDE.

11. XDMCP - Remote CDE Question

12. Help with Remote XDMCP

13. Remote XDMCP and fonts