Don't want window to clear when exiting manpage

Don't want window to clear when exiting manpage

Post by Aaron J. Ki » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi everyone,

I have a user in our lab who wishes that, after viewing a manpage, the
text of the page he was just reading would stay in the window.  Ofcourse
the easy way around this is to just use two windows, but he doesn't want
it the easy way.  How can I keep the window from clearing?  I guess
FreeBSD has it set up like this, but the linux stuff in our lab all clear
the screen.  Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Don't want window to clear when exiting manpage

Post by Kevin Vaj » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

This is a featue of ncurses, I guess.  It restores your screen to its
original state when the application quits.  I like it, personally.
However, if you don't, then I think the easiest thing is not to use
ncurses.

When viewing a manpage, the pager used is less, by default.
On Redhat 4.2:
$ ldd `which less`
        libncurses.so.3.0 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.3.0
        libtermcap.so.2 => /lib/libtermcap.so.2.0.8
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.3.12
$ ldd `which
more`                                                            ~
        libtermcap.so.2 => /lib/libtermcap.so.2.0.8
        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5.3.12

So, if I do "export PAGER=more" then my pager does not use ncurses, as
you wanted.  However, this more command might lack some of less'
features.

Whatever.  Good luck!

--

- Kevin Vajk