ftp & telnet for X-Windows

Post by Paolo Santangel » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi!
I'm looking for ftp and telnet for X-Windows.
Is there someone who knows where to download it?
Thanks.

ftp & telnet for X-Windows

Post by rdeemin » Fri, 18 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Hi!
> I'm looking for ftp and telnet for X-Windows.
> Is there someone who knows where to download it?
> Thanks.

ftp://coral.ocf.llnl.gov/pub/ia/llnlxdir/latest_xdir.tar.Z

This is on I just picked up the other day. Problem is I have not been
able to compile it for it is not finding my libraries.

I downloaded XpostitPlus and that compiled just fine. However
XpostitPlus does not use Motif libraries.

xfermon.o(.text+0x66b): undefined reference to `XmStringCreateSimple'
xfermon.o(.text+0x695): undefined reference to `XmStringCompare'
xfermon.o(.text+0x6a4): undefined reference to `_XmStrings'
xfermon.o(.text+0x6ba): undefined reference to `XmUpdateDisplay'

I have Moo-Tiff and the library libXm.a.  YIKES! I don't see a .so. Does
this mean I am SOL for ELF?

Sorry to turn your question into more!! Have fun.

www.westworld.com/~rdeeming

ftp & telnet for X-Windows

Post by Graham Tod » Mon, 04 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Hi!
> I'm looking for ftp and telnet for X-Windows.
> Is there someone who knows where to download it?
> Thanks.

Hmm, you can already run ftp in an xterm of course, ncftp is very good
with functions from the  readline library that make the commandline
very useful.  If you're looking for a GUI FTP client try this webpage:

http://www.llnl.gov/ia/xdir_xftp/

I prefer xdir to xftp... if I really need plain ftp instead of xdir then I use ncftp. Xdir
works best when your remote host is a Unix machine - but then everything works best
that way ;^)

What do you mean by "telnet forX-Windows"???  How can one have a
GUI telnet?  Just open up an xterm and type "telnet <sitename>" (instead of
the site domain name you can use IP addresses).  If you mean you want to run
remote X programs on your own machine you can do the following, but running X
remotely will be VERY SLOW if the remote host isn't on your "LAN".

- Get connected
- Log on to the host in an xterm (or rxvt)using telnet (or rsh).
- Find out what IP you got - normally PPP tells you or you can check
in  the routing table (using fconfig) to get the local IP address
-  Findout which remote  machine you ended up on using hostname
- Then in a window on your local machine  type xhost + [enter remote name here]
and on the remote machine issuethe command  "setenv DISPLAY yourIP:0"
where your IP is the ip you got from ifconfig.
- Now you're ready to bring up a remote client on your local display using your local X server

Good luck and I hope you have a 64k + connection!