Garbled display after leaving X

Post by johny_icela » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 04:58:36

So I'm booting Redhat 8.0 to runlevel 3.  Then I fire up X to try out
various new Window Managers (current favorite = Fluxbox).  All is well
in X and my video card (ATI All-in-wonder Radeon 32MB) seems to
perform flawlessly.

However when I leave X, it terminates and leaves me with a hopelessly
garbled display (colors, random text, all kindsa junk).  I can type in
commands, but I can't see what I'm typing (usually "shutdown -r now").
 This seems to happen with several different Window Managers.
Needless to say this is a pain.  Can anyone help this newbster out?

Post by Allen Cride » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 22:08:51

> So I'm booting Redhat 8.0 to runlevel 3.  Then I fire up X to try out
> various new Window Managers (current favorite = Fluxbox).  All is well
> in X and my video card (ATI All-in-wonder Radeon 32MB) seems to
> perform flawlessly.

> However when I leave X, it terminates and leaves me with a hopelessly
> garbled display (colors, random text, all kindsa junk).  I can type in
> commands, but I can't see what I'm typing (usually "shutdown -r now").
>  This seems to happen with several different Window Managers.
> Needless to say this is a pain.  Can anyone help this newbster out?

Are you also running framebuffer for your linux console? I used to, and it
sucked. So now I use plain console without the fb driver.

Post by user » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:30:41

> However when I leave X, it terminates and leaves me with a hopelessly
> garbled display (colors, random text, all kindsa junk).  I can type in
> commands, but I can't see what I'm typing (usually "shutdown -r now").

If necessary, you should be able to fix this by hand whenever you
switch to text-mode by using the restoretextmode utility.
(But you won't be able to see what you're typing.)

Post by Norman Levi » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:40:49

| > However when I leave X, it terminates and leaves me with a hopelessly
| > garbled display (colors, random text, all kindsa junk).  I can type in
| > commands, but I can't see what I'm typing (usually "shutdown -r now").
|
| If necessary, you should be able to fix this by hand whenever you
| switch to text-mode by using the restoretextmode utility.
| (But you won't be able to see what you're typing.)

Try keying blind, "tput reset"
norm

Garbled display after leaving X

Post by Fredderi » Sun, 08 Dec 2002 13:13:07

Quote:> However when I leave X, it terminates and leaves me with a
> hopelessly garbled display (colors, random text, all kindsa junk).  I
> can type in commands, but I can't see what I'm typing (usually
> "shutdown -r now").

Last time I had this problem, I believe it was because my video card memory
settings were wrong, and X was using console font-memory space and other, to
store part of its screen data.  At any rate, when I reduced the amount of
memory I was telling X was avaliable, the problem went away.  You could try
doing that.

1. Installation from rh 7 cd has partially garbled display...then linux gui is totally garbled display

Hello
A full install from a rh 7 cd on the second hard drive of my kid's ibm with
Athlon 700 mHz, SR9 video card (16mb ram), 384MB RAM.  The install was using
the gui interface.  This cd has been used successfully on two previous
installs on older  machines (dual boot).  The install begins with normal
display, but becomes partially garbled early in the installation (during
set-up stage).  It required some persistence to make all the choices, etc.
The installation itself went smoothly (a full install).  Upon first boot,
lilo was as expected and we booted to linux (the command line).  Login...ok.
Startx came up totally garbled (appeared to be a kaleidoscope of overlapping
screens...would have been an interesting screen saver).  The gnome footprint
was visible so we logged out and tried again...same results.
As root, at the command line, the ls command gave no results at all.
During install, there was no network setup screen offered.  The machine has
a linksys 10/100 lan card installed (works fine with a windows lan).
We used Xconfigurator to customize the display (after the second boot).
The sound card configuration page never came up during installation.
We plan to re-install tonight using text mode.
Any assistance or suggestions would be much appreciated!
Dave

2. ipchains log

3. Trident 9680 + X leaving me garbled!

4. vi tabs

5. Screen characters garbled after leaving XFree86

6. listen/accept vs fork

7. Left vs. Ctl-Left vs. Alt-Left

8. Help with making a DOS partition Read-only please

9. Long displays are getting garbled!

10. display garbled

11. Corel WP8/XF86 3.3.2/24 bit display: garbled graphics?

12. Linux Doom garbles console display - ioctl

13. X display garbled - SiS 5597/5598 - any fix?