How to disable virtual screen size but keep res change?

How to disable virtual screen size but keep res change?

Post by George Farr » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

One nice feature that we have in our labs at the local college is
being able to change the resolution of the Win95 screen from
800x600 to 1024x768.  While this can be done with XFree86, XFfree86
also adds the virtual screen size which is a big pain in the neck.

I'm setting up a student lab and want the students to be able to
switch resolutions without the virtual screen size.  This will be
running under Linux and XFree86 SVGA server.

Does anyone know of a patch to X that in my opinion fixes this
rather silly configuration option?  Virtual can be good, having
a choice to turn it off is better.  If Windows95 can do it surely
to god XFree can do it.

Post by koen Gadey » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>One nice feature that we have in our labs at the local college is
>being able to change the resolution of the Win95 screen from
>800x600 to 1024x768.  While this can be done with XFree86, XFfree86
>also adds the virtual screen size which is a big pain in the neck.

>I'm setting up a student lab and want the students to be able to
>switch resolutions without the virtual screen size.  This will be
>running under Linux and XFree86 SVGA server.

>Does anyone know of a patch to X that in my opinion fixes this
>rather silly configuration option?  Virtual can be good, having
>a choice to turn it off is better.  If Windows95 can do it surely
>to god XFree can do it.

Silly? Not!

What you want is impossible without changing the X protocol spec, and that
would make XFree86 "non-X". It would not be a compliant Xserver anymore. If
you want this to change at all, you';ll have to take it up with the Open
Group, because those are the people laying down the specs (and I'm pretty sure
they will not want to change _that_).

The only thing you can do about that is (1) restart the server each time you
want the resolution to change (and make it use a different XF86Config each
time) or (2) have several different servers running at the same time.

K.

Any oppinions expressed are my personal ones, and not those of my employer.

When replying, please remove all the numbers from the E-mail address.
This inconvenience is brought to you by Spamford and his E-mail vultures.

How to disable virtual screen size but keep res change?

Post by David Mado » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I was about to answer that.  You are quite right, the X protocol does
not allow a change of screen size.  Even Xnest (a more obvious
example, really) doesn't do it.

However, I didn't answer that because I am not sure whether that is
exactly what George wanted.  Another possibility, wherewith XFree
would remain X compliant, is to have a virtual screen but disallow
scrolling on that screen.  Probably not very pleasant, but maybe
acceptable - and even desirable - in some circumstances.

I too find virtual screens such as the one XFree has very unpleasant
(however I don't have the problem George has because I decided once
and for all that 1024*768 was _the_ optimal resolution and I won't
change even though my card can do 1280*1024 or 800*600 - or 1117*791
for that matter).  It would be nice to have other possibilities for
scrolling.  A scroll bar on the side of the screen might be nice, but
that would be hard to manage.  Or simply an ordinary X client (thus,
one whose window would move along with the others wrt the physical
screen) which would direct the server as to what portion of the screen
to display via a special protocol extension.  (Naturally, if you lose
that client outside your screen, you're in trouble...)

--
     David A. Madore

     http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/)

How to disable virtual screen size but keep res change?

Post by Jeff Edward » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

It takes a little hack to your XF86Config file, but I think that should do
it.  (If I'm understanding your problem correctly.)

Find the Section for the graphics card down at the bottom of the XF86Config
file (which is in /etc/X11, btw) and find the line Virtual # # inside the
SubSections for the resolutions that you use.  Just change those two
numbers after the Virtual keyword to the actual resolution that you want
and you should be set.  I don't think there's a way to change it while
running X though, if that's what your asking.

Jeff

Post by Sasha Agrano » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> One nice feature that we have in our labs at the local college is
> being able to change the resolution of the Win95 screen from
> 800x600 to 1024x768.  While this can be done with XFree86, XFfree86
> also adds the virtual screen size which is a big pain in the neck.

> I'm setting up a student lab and want the students to be able to
> switch resolutions without the virtual screen size.  This will be
> running under Linux and XFree86 SVGA server.

> Does anyone know of a patch to X that in my opinion fixes this
> rather silly configuration option?  Virtual can be good, having
> a choice to turn it off is better.  If Windows95 can do it surely
> to god XFree can do it.

George!

If you'll find how to fix it - please send the fix to me.
I've been trying to find this out for 2 months though with
no success yet...

Best regards,
               Sasha

--
BTW: Sasha is a short form of Alexander. You knew it, didn't you?
--

|  (   )    0ooo.      (972) 8 9131187        |
+---\ (-----(   )-----------------------------+

How to disable virtual screen size but keep res change?

Post by Martin R » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I feel your pain because I had the same problem but
the solution is pretty easy actually. Here it comes:
If you run xf86config it asks you a number of questions about
your keyboard mouse monitor and video card.
After the video card is chosen you are shown (at least I am!)
a list of video modes your card and monitor are capable of. Right ?
Here you have the option to change the modes for every bit depth.
When you say The modes are OK, continue you will not get a chance
to disable the virtual screen.
So you HAVE TO say: Change the modes...etc
On the next prompt you type in the modes you want to be able to
switch between (via Ctrl-Alt-Num+/Ctrl-Alt-Num-, you know?)
and after hitting Enter you will be asked if you want to have
virtual resolution higher than physical res. Thats the point
where you say NO, which I hope solves your problem.
You can repeat the operation for every bit depth.
Thats it basically.
If you still have problems, feel free to mail me.
Im a Linux newbie myself, but if I can help.....
Good luck,
M.

> One nice feature that we have in our labs at the local college is
> being able to change the resolution of the Win95 screen from
> 800x600 to 1024x768.  While this can be done with XFree86, XFfree86
> also adds the virtual screen size which is a big pain in the neck.

> I'm setting up a student lab and want the students to be able to
> switch resolutions without the virtual screen size.  This will be
> running under Linux and XFree86 SVGA server.

> Does anyone know of a patch to X that in my opinion fixes this
> rather silly configuration option?  Virtual can be good, having
> a choice to turn it off is better.  If Windows95 can do it surely
> to god XFree can do it.

> --

1. Cannot change virtual screen size

Hello,
    I'm running Linux RedHat 5.2 on my laptop and would like to change
between a virtual
X-screen (a screen bigger than my display) and the 'real' size of my
display.  In my
\etc\X11\XF86Config  file, I have the following subsections:

   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "800x600" "640x480"
      ViewPort     0 0
      Virtual      800 600
   EndSubSection

and

   SubSection "Display"
      Depth       8
      Modes       "800x600" "640x480"
      ViewPort    0 0
      Virtual     1024 768
   EndSubSection

Both of them work (more or less) to my satisfaction but, I can not
switch between
them.  Depending on which SubSection appears first in the 'XF86Config'
file, I have
a 'real' or a 'virtual' screen, but I can't change it once X is
running.  (I can change
between the resolutions within each SubSection with ctrl-alt-plus, but
not between
the SubSections.)

Is this just the way Linux works or is there some trick that I can
pull?  Any input is
welcome.

Thanks,
    Bernhard

| Bernhard Rau                                                      |
| Helsinki University of Technology   tel. -358-9-4513203           |
| Department of Engineering Physics   fax. -358-9-4513195           |
| and Mathematics                                                   |

| FIN-02015 HUT, Finland                                            |

2. Interesting Installation Problem

3. Virtual screen size and screen resolution

4. MASQ: failed TCP/UDP checksum from

5. XF86Config and Virtual screen res. - getting rid of

6. Please sugest Form development tool

7. Mercury: virtual X res > max physical X res?

8. cracking program needed

9. How to Change Screen Res.

10. Selecting screen resolution with GDM/changing res NICELY in GNOME

11. Changing screen res. on Sparc II

12. Xconfigurator vs. RH Install - Screen Res Change

13. Please....: How do I change the Screen Res..?