Netscape Small Fonts Problem

Post by Tim Jon » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 17:26:54

Hi,
I have been suffering from the small fonts problem, and have pretty
much managed to solve it by setting up ttf support. One last thing is
causing problems though. Some sites ask for 'sans serif' as the font,
and in windoze this is a .fon file, not a .ttf file so how can I set
it up so netscape displays sans serif the size I want? I'm guessing it
has something to do with setting an alias in the fonts.alias file but
I'm not sure how.
Also, what size font does the size='1' in html correspond to? so I can
increase that font size in the fonts.alias file, as these size fonts
are still a little small.

I hope someone can help.
Thanks,
Tim

Post by Robert Olofss » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 20:51:29

: Also, what size font does the size='1' in html correspond to? so I can
: increase that font size in the fonts.alias file, as these size fonts
: are still a little small.

devedge.netscape.com has some answears to these questions...

from
http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/htmlguid/tags6.htm#1288941:
-------------
SIZE="number"
defines the relative size of the font, in a range from 1 to 7, with a
default size of 3. A value of 1 results in the smallest font, and a
value of 7 results in the largest font. You can also specify the size
using a plus or minus sign in front of the number to change the size
with respect to the base font size.
-------------

So <font size=1> means a really small font. To bad many web designers
think that size=1 is the standard......

/robo

Flygk?rsv 5,1   *                      *          use the force."
183 62 T?by             * tel: 08-732 71 39    *                   /Obi-Wan-Kenobi
Sweden           * http://www.nada.kth.se/~d94-rol

Post by John Baile » Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:55:37

> : Also, what size font does the size='1' in html correspond to? so I can
> : increase that font size in the fonts.alias file, as these size fonts
> : are still a little small.

> devedge.netscape.com has some answears to these questions...

> from
> http://developer.netscape.com/docs/manuals/htmlguid/tags6.htm#1288941:
> -------------
> SIZE="number"
> defines the relative size of the font, in a range from 1 to 7, with a
> default size of 3. A value of 1 results in the smallest font, and a
> value of 7 results in the largest font. You can also specify the size
> using a plus or minus sign in front of the number to change the size
> with respect to the base font size.
> -------------

> So <font size=1> means a really small font. To bad many web designers
> think that size=1 is the standard......

In my experience in windows, size=1 correlates to an 8-point font, but I
don't know what the corresponding size looks like in X, I know it's a
LOT smaller, though.  size=2 is 10 pt in windows (appears to be about 8
to me in X), and size=3 is normally 12 point (which looks about 10 in
X).

John

Netscape Small Fonts Problem

Post by Bob Marca » Fri, 23 Nov 2001 20:14:35

My .Xdefaults (look at first line):
!
Netscape*documentFonts.sizeIncrement: 5
Netscape*toolBar.destinations.isEnabled: false
Netscape*toolBar.myshopping.isEnabled: false
Netscape*toolBar.search.isEnabled: false
Netscape*toolBar.viewSecurity.isEnabled: false
Netscape*noAboutSplash: true
!
Dtwm*maximumMaximumSize: 1220x870

--

 Aster                                tel:    +386 (1) 5894-329
 Nade Ovcakove 1                      fax:    +386 (1) 5894-201

1. Netscape small fonts problem

Hi,
I have been suffering from the small fonts problem, and have pretty
much managed to solve it by setting up ttf support. One last thing is
causing problems though. Some sites ask for 'sans serif' as the font,
and in windoze this is a .fon file, not a .ttf file so how can I set
it up so netscape displays sans serif the size I want? I'm guessing it
has something to do with setting an alias in the fonts.alias file but
I'm not sure how.
Also, what size font does the size='1' in html correspond to? so I can
increase that font size in the fonts.alias file, as these size fonts
are still a little small.

I hope someone can help.
Thanks,
Tim

2. Tru64 on ide systeme

3. Netscape small font too small question

4. fatal server error

5. Small Netscape Font!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. SuSE 8.0 and FoxPro

7. Help: fonts too small in Netscape.

8. Gnome Config Problem

9. Netscape font is too small

10. Netscape fonts too small, again ....

11. netscape: fonts too small

12. Very small font in Netscape

13. Netscape: fonts are too small