corrupted xterm while using trn

Post by Wayne Li » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

While using trn, every so often, my xterm is corrupted.  The texts in
the xterm from the previous screen are not cleared.
The texts are not cleared even after I have exitted trn and issued
a clear command.

Does anyone know what is the cause of the problem ?  I have this
problem in both Redhat 5 and Redhat 4.2 with trn 3.6.

Regards,
Wayne Ling

--
Note: Please remove DELETE_NoSpam to get my return address.

Post by T.E.Dicke » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: While using trn, every so often, my xterm is corrupted.  The texts in
: the xterm from the previous screen are not cleared.
: The texts are not cleared even after I have exitted trn and issued
: a clear command.
which version of xterm is that?

: Does anyone know what is the cause of the problem ?  I have this
: problem in both Redhat 5 and Redhat 4.2 with trn 3.6.

: Regards,
: Wayne Ling

: --
: Note: Please remove DELETE_NoSpam to get my return address.

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Wayne Li » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>: While using trn, every so often, my xterm is corrupted.  The texts in
>: the xterm from the previous screen are not cleared.
>: The texts are not cleared even after I have exitted trn and issued
>: a clear command.
>which version of xterm is that?

I have not figured out the xterm version.  There is no options with
xterm that allows display of its version.  It comes with XFree3.31
and it is in the standard Redhat 5.0 distribution.

--

Post by Wayne Li » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>>: While using trn, every so often, my xterm is corrupted.  The texts in
>>: the xterm from the previous screen are not cleared.
>>: The texts are not cleared even after I have exitted trn and issued
>>: a clear command.
>>which version of xterm is that?

I have looked up the source tree for xterm and found the following info
in the xterm main.c

#ifndef lint
static char *rid="$XConsortium: main.c,v 1.225.1.1 95/01/13 21:13:04 kaleb Exp $";
#endif /* lint */
/* $XFree86: xc/programs/xterm/main.c,v 3.14 1995/01/29 02:10:18 dawes Exp $ */

--

Post by T.E.Dicke » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

:>>: While using trn, every so often, my xterm is corrupted.  The texts in
:>>: the xterm from the previous screen are not cleared.
:>>: The texts are not cleared even after I have exitted trn and issued
:>>: a clear command.
:>>which version of xterm is that?

: I have looked up the source tree for xterm and found the following info
: in the xterm main.c
I didn't make myself clear: I want to know if this is XFree86 xterm
(versus nxterm/color_xterm or rxvt), and if it is a current version
(XFree86 3.3.1).

: #ifndef lint
: static char *rid="$XConsortium: main.c,v 1.225.1.1 95/01/13 21:13:04 kaleb Exp $";
: #endif /* lint */
: /* $XFree86: xc/programs/xterm/main.c,v 3.14 1995/01/29 02:10:18 dawes Exp $ */

: --
: Note: Please remove DELETE_NoSpam to get my return address.
takes too much time.

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

corrupted xterm while using trn

Post by Senthil Kum » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

On 9 Jan 1998 14:42:41 GMT,

> I didn't make myself clear: I want to know if this is XFree86 xterm
> (versus nxterm/color_xterm or rxvt), and if it is a current version
> (XFree86 3.3.1).

What exactly is this nxterm? I have it installed on Slackware 3.3,
but cannout find a man page for it.

Also, both xterm abn nxterm are set uid root. Is there any reason for this??

Senthil

corrupted xterm while using trn

Post by T.E.Dicke » Tue, 13 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: On 9 Jan 1998 14:42:41 GMT,

:> I didn't make myself clear: I want to know if this is XFree86 xterm
:> (versus nxterm/color_xterm or rxvt), and if it is a current version
:> (XFree86 3.3.1).
:>

: What exactly is this nxterm? I have it installed on Slackware 3.3,
: but cannout find a man page for it.
I'm told that "nxterm" is just a renamed copy of "color_xterm".  (but, unlike
XFree86 xterm, it doesn't seem to be currently maintained).  Being biased
(I'm working on XFree86 xterm), I can't recommend it (won't work properly
with a number of applications that use 'slang' library, since it only supports
terminals with the bce (back-color-erase) capability.  There's other reasons
also (a number of interesting bugs that are fixed in the XFree86 version).
The one redeeming feature of color_xterm is that (like rxvt) it always does
color, so people who don't have time to read the man-page get color right
away.

The XFree86 3.3 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
There's an faq at
        http://www.veryComputer.com/

: Also, both xterm abn nxterm are set uid root. Is there any reason for this??
that's so the program can write to the pty's (pseudo-terminals).  alternatively,
you could chmod those so they have world-writable status.  some systems also
require this to update the utmp entries (but I believe on mine it's world-
writable anyway).

: Senthil

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Wayne Li » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>:>>: While using trn, every so often, my xterm is corrupted.  The texts in
>:>>: the xterm from the previous screen are not cleared.
>:>>: The texts are not cleared even after I have exitted trn and issued
>:>>: a clear command.
>:>>which version of xterm is that?

>: I have looked up the source tree for xterm and found the following info
>: in the xterm main.c
>I didn't make myself clear: I want to know if this is XFree86 xterm
>(versus nxterm/color_xterm or rxvt), and if it is a current version
>(XFree86 3.3.1).

According to my .fvwm2rc, I am using color_xterm.  When I look around,
I cannot find color_xterm anywhere in the system.  I do have rxvt and
xterm in the search path.

Quote:

>: #ifndef lint
>: static char *rid="$XConsortium: main.c,v 1.225.1.1 95/01/13 21:13:04 kaleb Exp $";
>: #endif /* lint */
>: /* $XFree86: xc/programs/xterm/main.c,v 3.14 1995/01/29 02:10:18 dawes Exp $ */

--
Note: Please remove DELETE_NoSpam to get my return address.

corrupted xterm while using trn

Post by Wayne Li » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

It is XFree 3.3.1 xterm that I am running.  When I use ps,
xterms are the only ones I see.  Not sure if the XFree package
is the current version of 3.3.1.  All know is that it comes
with RedHat 5.0.

--

Post by T.E.Dicke » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: It is XFree 3.3.1 xterm that I am running.  When I use ps,
: xterms are the only ones I see.  Not sure if the XFree package
: is the current version of 3.3.1.  All know is that it comes
: with RedHat 5.0.
back to the original question: is this a trn bug, or xterm?  If the former,
we can determine this by recording the output of trn with 'script' (one of
my favorite tools) to see what was actually sent to xterm.  The problem may
be apparent there -- problems with xterm rendering characters are usually
reproducible by cat'ing this file in xterm (but the starting line number
is a factor, too).

I have a small utility which is useful for slowly cat'ing - helps diagnose
things (though I've noticed that it doesn't work well with rxvt since it
doesn't resync the display correctly).

: --
: Note: Please remove DELETE_NoSpam to get my return address.

sorry - I don't cut/paste email addresses.

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Wayne Li » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>back to the original question: is this a trn bug, or xterm?  If the former,
>we can determine this by recording the output of trn with 'script' (one of
>my favorite tools) to see what was actually sent to xterm.  The problem may
>be apparent there -- problems with xterm rendering characters are usually
>reproducible by cat'ing this file in xterm (but the starting line number
>is a factor, too).

>I have a small utility which is useful for slowly cat'ing - helps diagnose
>things (though I've noticed that it doesn't work well with rxvt since it
>doesn't resync the display correctly).

Sure, I'll be glad to give it a try although I have not seen the
problem in a week's time.  This problem does not show up too
frequently.  Another problem which I have also posted in one of
the linux news groups, the corruption of .newsrc while using trn,
is a lot more frequent.

>: --
>: Note: Please remove DELETE_NoSpam to get my return address.

>sorry - I don't cut/paste email addresses.

The email address I use for this post does not require cut and paste.
I do get a number of spam mails everyday, however.

--

Nortel Ltd.                 Ottawa, Canada.
My opinion does not represent my employer's.

1. Problem with xterm and trn

Hi, everyone,

        I have a problem with xterm and trn. When I use trn on a xterm
session, trn always get more entries than a xterm window can display.
And the first couple of lines of the entries will always scroll off
the window so that I have to use the xterm scrollbar to rollback to
see those lines.

        I wonder if it is a setup problem. Any help is greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

        Fred Xia

2. positional paramters

3. trn 4.0: macro language and piping articles to sendmail / trn FAQ

4. /var/log/mgetty.cuaa1 grows up

5. Press Ctrl-D whiling inputting

6. problem with rpms

7. xterm scroll area corrupted by vi/vim

8. ports used by napster.....

9. man format corrupt in xterm

10. Need help running trn using nntp

11. problem using term+tredir+trn - unknown host

12. trn using nntp

13. Using trn in shell scripts