XDM driving me nuts

Post by Lorin Hochstei » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hope this hasn't been asked and answered a million times...

I upgraded from Redhat 4.x (don't remember) to RedHat 5.0. RH5.0 comes
with xdm, and it's driving me nuts. When I try to use a non-root account
to log in, it looks like it's going to log in, then returns to the login
screen again. (i.e. only logging in with root works).

When I first upgraded, I guess my old accounts weren't configured
properly for xdm, since I got a different error. It would log in, but I
wouldn't be able to bring up an xterm or anything (clicking the mouse
buttons essentially brought up no options).

When I created new accounts, logging in works. However, now it doesn't
(for non-root accounts). This started happening somewhere near the time
when I got a cable modem, so perhaps running dhcpcd has something to do
with it...?

If anyone has encountered a similar quirk? If so, what do you about it?

Oh, and one other thing... How do you quit the darn thing? I've been
using the "kill" command, since I can't figure out any other way!

Lorin Hochstein

XDM driving me nuts

Post by Loren Brooke » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hope this hasn't been asked and answered a million times...

> I upgraded from Redhat 4.x (don't remember) to RedHat 5.0. RH5.0 comes
> with xdm, and it's driving me nuts. When I try to use a non-root account
> to log in, it looks like it's going to log in, then returns to the login
> screen again. (i.e. only logging in with root works).

I had this problem...  I could login when the system was set to boot
into runlevel 3, but when booting to runlevel 5, and loging in with xdm,
/usr/local/bin was missing from my path, so /usr/local/bin/afterstep was
not available, and I was presented with the login screen again. Note, I
was not getting 'incorrect login' prompt, so I know I had logged in.
Quote:> When I first upgraded, I guess my old accounts weren't configured
> properly for xdm, since I got a different error. It would log in, but I
> wouldn't be able to bring up an xterm or anything (clicking the mouse
> buttons essentially brought up no options).

> When I created new accounts, logging in works. However, now it doesn't
> (for non-root accounts). This started happening somewhere near the time
> when I got a cable modem, so perhaps running dhcpcd has something to do
> with it...?

> If anyone has encountered a similar quirk? If so, what do you about it?

> Oh, and one other thing... How do you quit the darn thing? I've been
> using the "kill" command, since I can't figure out any other way!

> Lorin Hochstein

XDM driving me nuts

Post by John Thompso » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Oh, and one other thing... How do you quit the darn thing? I've been
> using the "kill" command, since I can't figure out any other way!

Start xdm by changing your default run level in /etc/inittab from 3 to 5.
Then you can kill xdm with CTRL-R

--

XDM driving me nuts

Post by Per A. Larse » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hope this hasn't been asked and answered a million times...

> I upgraded from Redhat 4.x (don't remember) to RedHat 5.0. RH5.0 comes
> with xdm, and it's driving me nuts. When I try to use a non-root account
> to log in, it looks like it's going to log in, then returns to the login
> screen again. (i.e. only logging in with root works).

> When I first upgraded, I guess my old accounts weren't configured
> properly for xdm, since I got a different error. It would log in, but I
> wouldn't be able to bring up an xterm or anything (clicking the mouse
> buttons essentially brought up no options).

> When I created new accounts, logging in works. However, now it doesn't
> (for non-root accounts). This started happening somewhere near the time
> when I got a cable modem, so perhaps running dhcpcd has something to do
> with it...?

> If anyone has encountered a similar quirk? If so, what do you about it?

> Oh, and one other thing... How do you quit the darn thing? I've been
> using the "kill" command, since I can't figure out any other way!

> Lorin Hochstein

May I suggest you're on the wrong track. Since XFree86 3.3.2 your Xserver
had to be started by Xwrapper for non-root accounts. It's done in your
.xserverrc
by changing X to Xwrapper. My non-root .xserverrc reads as follows:

exec Xwrapper :0 -bpp 16 dpms

This start my server in 16 bit per pixel with powersaving on. You have to
have a green
monitor for dpms to work and the server has to support it. I hopr this is
relevant to your
problem.

1. kxmlrpcd (nuts, i'm goin nuts)

Greetings all:

LM7.2, X v.4.0.1, KDE v.2.0-7mdk, very recent install.

netstat shows open tcp port, culprit responsible=kdeinit: kxmlr. From
what I can gather, this is xml-rpc daemon, and I'd like to shut it down;
don't really know if it presents any risk, but I'm pretty sure I don't
need?? this service, and at this point I'm DETERMINED to send it to a
well deserved fate in /dev/null (or worse- any suggestions?).

I've scoured the net, checked out every help site I could find, searched
Deja- no joy.
Done searches on my entire system w/ find|grep for any/all references to
the critter and all its cousins, and I can't find where it starts.
The only tangible lead so far was to move, to a safe place,
/usr/share/services/kxmlrpcd.desktop, which I did. Nada.
Also moved ~/.kxmlrpcd, re-booted, and lo-and-behold it automagically
re-appears- ain't life grand! Interestinly enough, /usr../kxmlrpcd.thingy
isn't quite as rude as his nephew, and hasn't shown up again.
I'd love to RTMFM, only there isn't a MFM. Actually saw a reference on a
Debian site as to this Bug (lack of MFM) already having been reported.

You guys seem like a swell bunch, not the types to gleefully watch a
novice tear his hair out, so please, if anyone actually Knows Something,
even if it just points me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

TIA
peace

2. setting up a shell server

3. "connection reset by peer" is driving me nuts!!!!

4. xdm question...

5. PAM is driving me nuts

6. Need driver for Permedia2 based video card

7. Warning: Frontpage tries to drive you nuts...

8. nested functions

9. dosemu drives me nuts!

10. NFS problem, driving me nuts

11. 2nd post-this is driving me nuts!

12. evil gdm error message driving me nuts!

13. Server Set up With RH 7.0 is driving me nuts!!!!