stb veloctiy 128 (nvidia riva 128) (frozen black screen)

stb veloctiy 128 (nvidia riva 128) (frozen black screen)

Post by Brian Fernal » Mon, 27 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I installed Redhat Linux 5.1 and select the stb velocity 128 as the video
card. Upon running startx,  I get a frozen black screen.

The unaccelerated Xsuse server worked fine???

any ideas?

Brian Fernald

Post by Reid D Rivenburg » Mon, 27 Jul 1998 04:00:00

 >> Brian Fernald writes:

 > I installed Redhat Linux 5.1 and select the stb velocity 128 as the
 > video card. Upon running startx, I get a frozen black screen.
 > The unaccelerated Xsuse server worked fine???
 > any ideas?

Yes, it sounds like an IRQ conflict.  Check that the card isn't
conflicting with something else.  The following might help: if you run
Windows, checking settings there; check your kernel configuration;
check bootup messages; "cat /proc/interrupts"; allow your BIOS to
assign an IRQ to the card; and physically move cards around.  I didn't
have to do most of these things myself, but I've heard they work.

Good luck,
Reid

stb veloctiy 128 (nvidia riva 128) (frozen black screen)

Post by Brian Fernal » Mon, 27 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I don't see an IRQ assigned in the /proc/interupts. I am assuming this has
to do with the card being AGP.  I will try your other suggestions.

Thanks for the advice!

Brian

> >> Brian Fernald writes:

> > I installed Redhat Linux 5.1 and select the stb velocity 128 as the
> > video card. Upon running startx, I get a frozen black screen.
> > The unaccelerated Xsuse server worked fine???
> > any ideas?

>Yes, it sounds like an IRQ conflict.  Check that the card isn't
>conflicting with something else.  The following might help: if you run
>Windows, checking settings there; check your kernel configuration;
>check bootup messages; "cat /proc/interrupts"; allow your BIOS to
>assign an IRQ to the card; and physically move cards around.  I didn't
>have to do most of these things myself, but I've heard they work.

>Good luck,
>Reid

1. STB Velocity 128 (nVidia Riva 128) support

Does anyone know if the STB Velocity 128 (nVidia Riva 128) supported
under Linux or where I may be able to find register level tech docs to
write the driver?  nVidia, the company the makes the chipset and STB
refuse both refuse by request for the information.

I currently have Win95 and WinNT on my PII system and would like to give
Linux and the BeOS(www.be.com) a try.  What does it mean in Linux for a
card to be unsupported?  For example, in 95 & NT, if you don't have the
driver installed, you usually still get 640x480 16 colors and in the
BeOS, you get nothing(just a blank screen).

Thanks,
Jin Yu
--
BeDev ID: 6731

http://www.coresi.com/yuweb/

--
BeDev ID: 6731

http://www.coresi.com/yuweb/

2. Solaris Desktop Extensions 1.0 and Hummingbird Exceed

3. STB Velocity 128 (nVidia Riva 128) support?

4. synchronization problem of files on vfat

5. Accton EN2242

6. Need Driver for nVidia RIVA 128 (STB Velocity 128)

7. Lockups with KDE 1.1.2 and Nvidia graphics card

8. STB velocity 128 Nvidia Riva 128 chipset

9. looking for driver for STB velocity 128 w/ Nvidia Riva 128 chipset

10. STB Velocity 128 (nVidia Riva 128) support?

11. STB Velocity 128 NVidia Riva

12. STB Velocty 128 nvidia riva