mandrake x font server

Post by dan » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 04:17:06

i just installed mandrake linux.  my x windows system worked fine yesterday
but today it won't start, presumably due to this error:

_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

does anyone know how to resolve this problem?  it's driving me insane!

thank you very much,

dan

mandrake x font server

Post by Morel Davi » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 08:33:01

> i just installed mandrake linux.  my x windows system worked fine
> yesterday but today it won't start, presumably due to this error:

> _FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

> does anyone know how to resolve this problem?  it's driving me insane!

> thank you very much,

> dan

your xfs server isn't started. check it out in /etc/rc3.d or rc5.d

mandrake x font server

Post by dan » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:41:19

i made sure i had xfs started and i still had the same error.. anyone have
any ideas?
Quote:> > i just installed mandrake linux.  my x windows system worked fine

Post by Toby Hayne » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 03:47:29

> i made sure i had xfs started and i still had the same error.. anyone have
> any ideas?

Ah, but is it active? Probably not if your X server won't start.

What version of X are you using? If you are using 4.0.x, you might wish to
investigate letting XFree86 do its own font rendering rather than relying on a
font server.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

1. Best fonts / font config for KDE (Mandrake)?

Hi,

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 (release candidate) and using KDE 3.1.  With
anti-aliasing turned on, the fonts look pretty darn good compared to the
bad old days, but it's still not nearly as beautiful as MacOS Aqua.  At the
moment the best configuration I have found is to use "Luxi Sans" for just
about everything, and "Courier 10 Pitch" when I need a monospaced font.
Does anyone have any better suggestions for publicly available fonts, or
config tweaks I should be doing?  What makes Aqua so much nicer?

--
Andy Neitzke

2. Error code list & description?

3. mandrake x font server. please help!

4. Word Perfect filters in SO 5.1?

5. X font server crash with mandrake. HELP !

6. Post, but no answer

7. Font Server Failure - Mandrake 7.2

8. Howto boot from bootdisk/cd-rom on PowerPC (Power Mac 8100/100)?

9. Mandrake 9 as Print Server, TT font problem

10. Problems with Mandrake 8.0 starting X Font Server

11. Fonts server, bad font, why?

12. FontTastic font server font path ?

13. F3 fonts and font server