Xlib: sequence lost (0x12ddd > 0x2ddd) in reply type 0x2!

Xlib: sequence lost (0x12ddd > 0x2ddd) in reply type 0x2!

Post by James B Palme » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have been having aggrevating problems with xterms running on RedHat
5.2 whenever the xterms are opened on a Win98 Xserver.

It goes a little something like this:

1.  Start an Xterm on RedHat 5.2, and open it up on a Win98 X server.
2.  Open vi along with a big file.
3.  Start scrolling up and down rapidly.

After about 30 seconds of  scrolling (Ctrl-U - Ctrl-D) up and down, the
xterm window on Win98 freezes and I get the error message:

"Xlib: sequence lost (0x12ddd > 0x2ddd) in reply type 0x2!"

I notice that the socket is still established on Win98, and there is
still network traffic whenever I click on a key...but the xterm is
frozen.  I really don't think it is related to the Win98 XServer, as the

problem is reproducable on two (very) different XServers (Exceed 6.0.1
and MicroImages March 1997 XServer).   I have also tried to reproduce
the problem using the XServer on Linux and it DOES NOT happen when
opened on the same Linux server..combined this behaviour with
the description of the error message, this makes me suspicious about the

network interface possibly causing the problem.  I have also noticed
that the problem only occurs when there is a collision on the network
(although it does not always happen every time there is a collision).

A couple of things that may or may not matter about my hardware:

1.  I am using the via-rhine.c module for my DFE-513 TX network card
2.  I am using an AMD-K6-2 300 CPU on a FIC PA-2013 MOBO.

Anybody got any ideas?

thanks in advance,
Jamie Palmer

Xlib: sequence lost (0x12ddd > 0x2ddd) in reply type 0x2!

Post by Rich Jame » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> xterm window on Win98 freezes and I get the error message:

> "Xlib: sequence lost (0x12ddd > 0x2ddd) in reply type 0x2!"

I remember that from using Exceed 5 on win 98.
Exceed 5 ran without a quirk while using win 95, but promptly started to
die once I upgraded (?) to win 98.

Quote:> I really don't think it is related to the Win98 XServer, as the
> problem is reproducable on two (very) different XServers (Exceed 6.0.1
> and MicroImages March 1997 XServer).

I find that the upgrade to Exceed 6 solved the problem.  So far..  At
least I've not found any lost sequences.
I've also had no problems while using MI/X (though that's limited
functionality, and supports X11R5).

I've tried to reproduce the problem between Linux machines, and never
once have I had a lost sequence.
I'm currently loth to burn and rebuild my Win'98 partition, as it's
hosting quite a lot of dev tools etc.
If there's sufficient call for me to to a check against linux versions
(from RH5 -> RH5.2 in combinaiton with Win95 -> 98 and NT), with
different flavours of Xserver, I could give it a go.
I'm currently slating the problem to inconsistencies in win98 with
earlier products.
As far as I'm concerned, it's a problem with the Win software, either
the OS, or the Xserver.

Rich

1. GTK+ Error "Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0xb9)!"

Hi everybody,
I have been developping an image displaying application  using GTK+ on
Linux OS Kernel 2.4.5.
But I had an error pretty many times as below:

Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0xb9)!

Sometimes the program works fine, sometimes had errors.

I do not think the error comes from image-related widgets by itselves.
Rather, the image-related widgets conflict with gtk_main().
When I insert sleep(10) function between function including
image-related widgets
and gtk_main(), then the program works without any problem during 10
seconds.

I did not have this kind of problem with Xtool kits.
Actually, I developped the program with simple Xtool kit widgets and now
I am building the GUI with GTK+.

What should I do to get the error?

Regards,
bkna

2. Kingmax Kc 301A

3. HELP: Strange "Xlib: sequence lost" problem with remote client.

4. PPPd problem

5. Xlib: sequence lost in GL application

6. dejanews test ... sorry

7. HELP: Strange "Xlib: sequence lost" problem with remote client.

8. mmdf

9. tcpdump: unknown mac type 0x2

10. Konsole and <ins> <del> keys

11. "Xlib: unexpected async reply" error.

12. Acrobat Reader 4.0 MIME Type for Netscape plug-ins

13. Xlib: unexpected async reply ?