USB/PS2/Serial mouses? Mouse performance?

USB/PS2/Serial mouses? Mouse performance?

Post by Maarten Afma » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I don't like my serial mouse under X. It seems to have a very low
sample frequency that results in poor performance of sliding and
scrolling windows. The worst part of it is of course the aiming and
turning in Quake! The aiming is performed at a much lower display
frequency than my CPU actually provides. For example if my mouse
samples at 20 positions per second, the 40 fps quake.x11 calculates
are a 50% waste of CPU cycles.

I think the serial port is to blame. Although it is configured for a
maximum speed of 115 kbit/s XFree uses the thing at a much lower
bitrate. I tried to specify the higher ones (9600 bits/second!), but
my mouse will bluntly refuse service then. Overclocked? ;-)

My question is: what should I do about this? Should I go find a PS/2
Mouse, or does a USB mouse work well?

If you compare the iMac and Windows systems at a computer shop, you
can see that the USB mouse used works a lot smoother than the ordinary
serial mouses used in the Windows systems. My present mouse is a
Logitech Pilot Mouse (serial version).

Thanks!
--
 ((    Maarten Afman                         ))

 ((    homepage: http://delft.dyndns.org     ))
  ))
 ((    6:20pm  up 4 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.25, 0.22, 0.10

1. ps2 mouse and serial mouse on laptop

Is there any way to get both a ps2 mouse and an external serial mouse to
work simultaneously in X?  I have a laptop, and would like to be able to
plug in an external mouse for it when I'm at home without having to change
the XF86Setup file every time I run.  Being able to use either the
external mouse or the built-in ps2 mouse would be ideal.

-Jim

http://jubjub.physics.wisc.edu/truittj/resume.html
Research Assistant, Dynamo Group
University of Wisconsin, Madison

2. Console Server Solution Tips

3. HELP : PS2 mouse - HP Vectra VL series 3 5/90 mouse wont work.

4. Kernel Releases

5. Mouse System PS2 mouse jerky in X

6. your problem w/ Ultrastor 34f

7. 2port KVM Switch Keyboard/Video/Mouse PS2 In USB Out

8. Unix touch command problem..

9. Problems with a USB keyboard and a PS2 mouse chained to the keyboard

10. How to change mouse from PS2 to serial?

11. Gateway 2k-P5-60, STB W32P Video Board & PS2 Serial Mouse

12. How to change mouse type from serial to PS2 ?

13. Using serial mice on PS2 port?