Behaviour of XAllocNamedColor on pseudo colour screens

Behaviour of XAllocNamedColor on pseudo colour screens

Post by Jost Boekemei » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I noticed that on pseudo color visuals XAllocNamedColor(..."green")
fails when there are no more color cells available.

Is there a function that returns the best match that is available in
the colormap?

For example a colormap has 4 color cells, allocated: black, white, blue, green
XAllocNamedColor(..."light green"...) should then return "green" instead
of reporting that "light green" could not be allocated.

Any ideas?

Jost

Post by Ken L » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Is there a function that returns the best match that is available in
>the colormap?

No.  You could write something that queries all the color cells.  I think some
of the image display programs do this.  You might have trouble, however, if
some of these cells are writable and the owner writes in to them.

-------
Ken Lee, X/Motif Consulting, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/index.shtml

1. Pseudo color - more then 8 bit color

Hi,
I need to be able view cadance tools under Linux Redhat 7.2, First the
application said that "No pseudo color, use True color instead", I
tried to understand how to work with pseudo color and I've got many
ides, but the only one that helped was to replace my Monitor card to
something better, so I tried
some AGP card ( with 8Mb or 16Mb) and I could work with Pseudo color
but only with 8 bit, and when I run the cadance application, there is
no color left to the operating system, all my windows start to blink
and so on, So in one hand I can understand it is hardware problem (
better hardware is required, when I run xdpyinfo I can see from the
start if my card support pseodo color or not) , but in second hand, I
can work with pseudo color with no problem, when I use the same
monitor card, but under windows2000 with exceed application, I tried
almost every thing,
and still it's not working as it shuld,
Thank You,

2. Help with Mach 64

3. how to change screen color on console screen??

4. (no subject)

5. Inverse screen colours on boot screen

6. What happened to my sound.

7. Pseudo Color supports in XF86 S3 server..

8. canonical name

9. Pseudo colour as default

10. which graphic card support 8bit pseudo-color?

11. how to add a pseudo color (8-bit plane)?

12. 24 and 8 bit pseudo color on Matrox MGA

13. Pseudo color graphics card not detected?