X session switching and mouse

Post by David Fal » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to run a couple of X sessions on my machine, but when I switch
from one to another, the mouse fails to respond for a few seconds.  If I
have the machine heavily loaded (e.g. running POVRay) the server crashes
with a message of "can't get mouse ; Device busy" or something like that.
The temporary* is annoying, but the crashes HAVE to stop!  If the
delay is unavoidable, is there at least a way to tell the server to give it
more time to aquire the mouse before giving up?
Oh yeah, if it matters: RH 4.0 ; fvwm 2.0.43 ; linux 2.0.18 ; XF86 3.2

- dave f.

Post by Yeechang L » Fri, 17 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> I'm trying to run a couple of X sessions on my machine, but when I
> switch from one to another, the mouse fails to respond for a few
> seconds.  If I have the machine heavily loaded (e.g. running POVRay)
> the server crashes with a message of "can't get mouse ; Device busy"
> or something like that.  The temporary* is annoying, but the
> crashes HAVE to stop!  If the delay is unavoidable, is there at
> least a way to tell the server to give it more time to aquire the
> mouse before giving up?  Oh yeah, if it matters: RH 4.0 ; fvwm
> 2.0.43 ; linux 2.0.18 ; XF86 3.2

I see similar probs sometimes when switching between a virtual console
(running gpm) and X; sometimes it crashes, sometimes it just 'dies'
for a few seconds before reviving, most of the time it's all right.
(Maybe the load matters as you mentioned.)  I too am using XFree86 3.2
(and an earlier version of fvwm)--did not experience such probs with
Metro-X or XFree86 3.1.2.
--
http://www.veryComputer.com/~ylee/