KDE "$HOME/.kde/share/config/*" ???

Post by Eric Burn » Sun, 28 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have been using KDE and enjoy it, but I have a question.  In the
directory "$HOME/.kde/share/config/" there are a bunch of config
files.  Someone told me how to modify "krootwmrc" in order to
make a left click bring up a menu, but I would like to make other
changes to my interface.  Could somebody please direct me to
some documentation to the syntax of these files, and how I can
make changes?  I've been looking through the FAQ and some other
docs on kde.org, but I haven't yet found anything.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Eric

KDE "$HOME/.kde/share/config/*" ???

Post by Roope Anttine » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I have been using KDE and enjoy it, but I have a question.  In the
> directory "$HOME/.kde/share/config/" there are a bunch of config
> files.  Someone told me how to modify "krootwmrc" in order to
> make a left click bring up a menu, but I would like to make other
> changes to my interface.  Could somebody please direct me to
> some documentation to the syntax of these files, and how I can
> make changes?  I've been looking through the FAQ and some other
> docs on kde.org, but I haven't yet found anything.

Argh.. why there's K-menu->Settings available? Why every KDE app has Options
menu item? Because you don't need to dig into those configuration files by
hand. There's nothing (well almost) that you can't configure with the
former.

Roope

--
MicroSoft? is that some kind of a toilet paper?
PS: Look for address here, not from headers. And remove NOSPAM's

        +358 9 812 7567  /  +358 500 445 565  /  +358 49 445 565
                http://myy.helia.fi/~anttiner/index.html
   Helsinki Business Polytechnic - Institute of information technology

KDE "$HOME/.kde/share/config/*" ???

Post by Artur Swietanowsk » Tue, 30 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > I have been using KDE and enjoy it, but I have a question.  In the
> > directory "$HOME/.kde/share/config/" there are a bunch of config
> > files.  (...)

> Argh.. why there's K-menu->Settings available? Why every KDE app has Options
> menu item? Because you don't need to dig into those configuration files by
> hand. There's nothing (well almost) that you can't configure with the
> former.

You're kidding, aren't you? I'd say I hardly ever found things
that I *could* configure with the 'Options'. I like KDE very much,
but precisely the poor configurability of some of the programs
makes me less than ecstatic.

Regards,

Institut fuer Statistik,  Operations Research und Computerverfahren,
Universitaet Wien,    Universitaetsstr. 5,    A-1010 Wien,   Austria
tel. +43 (1) 427 738 620                    fax  +43 (1) 427 738 629

KDE "$HOME/.kde/share/config/*" ???

Post by Mik » Wed, 31 Mar 1999 04:00:00

But what if you want to? My biggest complaint so far about kde is that
it seems to separate you from the underlying structure of things. I
realize that's what it was designed to do, but this being linux and
all sometimes you just gotta mess with stuff, ya know?
mike

>Argh.. why there's K-menu->Settings available? Why every KDE app has Options
>menu item? Because you don't need to dig into those configuration files by
>hand. There's nothing (well almost) that you can't configure with the
>former.

>Roope

>--
>MicroSoft? is that some kind of a toilet paper?
>PS: Look for address here, not from headers. And remove NOSPAM's

>    +358 9 812 7567  /  +358 500 445 565  /  +358 49 445 565
>            http://myy.helia.fi/~anttiner/index.html
>   Helsinki Business Polytechnic - Institute of information technology

KDE "$HOME/.kde/share/config/*" ???

Post by Eric Burn » Thu, 01 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > I have been using KDE and enjoy it, but I have a question.  In the
> > directory "$HOME/.kde/share/config/" there are a bunch of config
> > files.  Someone told me how to modify "krootwmrc" in order to
> > make a left click bring up a menu, but I would like to make other
> > changes to my interface.  Could somebody please direct me to
> > some documentation to the syntax of these files, and how I can
> > make changes?  I've been looking through the FAQ and some other
> > docs on kde.org, but I haven't yet found anything.

> Argh.. why there's K-menu->Settings available? Why every KDE app has Options
> menu item? Because you don't need to dig into those configuration files by
> hand. There's nothing (well almost) that you can't configure with the
> former.

> Roope

The two most important words you just said are "well almost".  I think you've
just answered your own question.

Now, will somebody please answer mine (assuming that there is an answer)?

-Eric

KDE "$HOME/.kde/share/config/*" ???

Post by Gordon Tayl » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>But what if you want to? My biggest complaint so far about kde is that
>it seems to separate you from the underlying structure of things. I
>realize that's what it was designed to do, but this being linux and
>all sometimes you just gotta mess with stuff, ya know?

I do. Its a battle. On one hand we have a GUI which does many things
well eg kppp is brilliant, but on the other hand when something does
not go right with the mouse we have this desire to get right down to
ASCII text and make adjustments.

--

1. "mounted cd-rom" and "mounted samba share" icons on KDE 3.1 desktop

I have just installed Mandrake 9.1/KDE 3.1 on my machine. I noticed
that I now have a set of icons coresponding to automounted
directories. For example, I have both a "Mounted CD-ROM" and a
"Mounted Samba (Windows)"-type icon. While I think this is a nice
trick, I would like to remove these icons from my desktop (I prefer
the command line for such things). However, I could not find any way
to achieve this; right-clicking on the icons does not offer a "delete"
choice. I would greatly appreciate if somebody would enlighten me as
to what KDE option or configuration file do I have to modify.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Gerd

2. how to create a subsystem?

3. "Autoraise" behavior changed form KDE 1.0 to KDE 1.1

4. WD7193

5. KDE 2.2.2 can't use "smbclient" or "su"

6. database

7. "advice" to KDE authors from a kde newbie

8. Installing FreeBSD with SB16 CD-ROM

10. Konqueror "Home" fails under KDE 2.2.1 and RH 7.1

12. how to: "Windows" key -> KDE's "K" menu..

13. $KDEHOME/share/config/kde-configrc and KDE 3.0.3