How Do I change/set Screensaver

Post by ali » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi.

I'm running Red Hat 5.0 and using fvwm.
I installed the screensaver package but I don't know how to set (or
change) the screensaver that I want.

Can any help please ???

Thanks
ali

Post by Brian How » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hi.

> I'm running Red Hat 5.0 and using fvwm.
> I installed the screensaver package but I don't know how to set (or
> change) the screensaver that I want.

> Can any help please ???

> Thanks
> ali

Add a line to your .xinitrc file before the line that starts your window manager
that looks like this: exec xscreenasver &
This will start the screen saver automagically on boot of X. While X is booting,
You will see a splash screen for Xscreensaver and you can click on the prefs
button and set it there.

Alternatively just type 'man xscreensaver' in an xterm and figure it out from
there.
--
Brian Howe

Unix geek in training.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over
and over and expecting different results."

How Do I change/set Screensaver

Post by Peter Cedermar » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Here's what I did.

The name of the executable is "xlock". If you type "man xlock" you will get a
list of all the available screensavers. To use one, type "xlock -mode <name>"
where <name> is the name of the screensaver. To get a random saver, use "random"
as the name.

Put an alias/shortcut somewhere convenient, for example in $HOME/.bashrc:
alias lock="xlock -mode <name>"

Hope this helps / Pete

> Hi.

> I'm running Red Hat 5.0 and using fvwm.
> I installed the screensaver package but I don't know how to set (or
> change) the screensaver that I want.

> Can any help please ???

> Thanks
> ali

1. Screensaver - Changing Default

I have spent hours searching through Google for posts about this, and I
searched through the KDE website too, but no answer...

I am using KDE 2.2.1 and Mandrake 8.1.

I really love a few of the screensavers that I can get in Gnome. But for
various reasons, I don't want to use Gnome. I want to use KDE.

Is there a way to get the Gnome screensavers to work in KDE? So I can
select one of them and have it be my default screensaver?

That would be lovely.

Thanks,
Jason

2. logging out

3. Cannot Change GNOME screensaver

4. can't get there from here: KMail in Beta3

5. Changing timeout period on Default Screensaver

6. More probs: Logitech Mouse in xf86config

7. How to change xdm login screen and to run screensaver automatically when idle?

8. host names not working- ping vs telnet

9. SparcStation10/Solaris2.6: changing screensaver crashes login session

10. Changing Screensaver in X

11. How do I change the solaris screensavers?

12. Changing the Screensaver

13. auto screensaver set-up?