x-windows in solaris 8 for x86

Post by Ni » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 02:16:22

Hi,

In a used PII machine with intel740 chip in graphic cards and Daeoo monitor,

1)when I tried to install redhat7.1, I can not start x-windows,and I do
  not know the exact reason. The edition of XFree86 for redhat7.1 is 4.0.3

2)Install redhat7.3, x-windows works. The edition of XFree86 for redhat7.3
  is 4.2.0

3)Install solaris 8 for x86, can not detect graphic cards, and can
  not start X. And I do not know the exact edition of x-windows.

I remember in linux it's x-windows, not os, deals with graphics cards. Now
if I upgrade x-windows in Solaris to a later edition, e.g. 4.2.0, can
I also start up x-windows in Solaris?

Thanks a lot for help!

x-windows in solaris 8 for x86

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 04:02:57

Quote:>2)Install redhat7.3, x-windows works. The edition of XFree86 for redhat7.3
>  is 4.2.0

>3)Install solaris 8 for x86, can not detect graphic cards, and can
>  not start X. And I do not know the exact edition of x-windows.

so go install xfree 4.2.0 on solaris.

solaris does not use xfree normally.

Now go read the solaris x86 FAQ at
http://sun.drydog.com/faq/

http://www.spamlaws.com/state/ca1.html

x-windows in solaris 8 for x86

Post by Ni » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 01:47:27

Quote:

> solaris does not use xfree normally.

So except xfree, what kind of windows system solaris use?

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 01:53:20

|> solaris does not use xfree normally.
|
|So except xfree, what kind of windows system solaris use?

Solaris provides it's own implementation of X.  Both Xsun & XFree86 are
forks off the original X.org X Window System, with a whole lot in
common, but a number of areas where they've gone in different
directions.  (And we're slowly bringing them back closer together - for
instance, you can download from Sun's web site a porting kit to allow
XFree86 video card modules to run with Solaris Xsun for cards Solaris
doesn't support directly.)

x-windows in solaris 8 for x86

Post by Ni » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 03:36:05

Quote:> so go install xfree 4.2.0 on solaris.

> solaris does not use xfree normally.

I just installed Solaris 8 in my intel machine, but can not start
x-windows. What is the default x-windows system in Solaris 8, Xsun?
if I want to install xfree, where I can find it? I have to download
from www.xfree86.org?

Thanks a lot!

Hello!

I have 3 questions about X-windows:

Is there a good graphical bases typewriter (not editor) in which
i can write and layout text in x-windows, without using a bunch
of codes as in e.g. latech.

Is it possible to make a telnet like connection in a MS windows
based PC to a unix machine which is capable to run the X-windows
system. So i could use for example Xmaple when I am sitting home
where i dont have unix, but I do have a fast pc and internet.

Is there a special X-windows newsgroup?

Please e-mail me because i cant read the newsgroups so often.

thanks

Sander Zboray
http://gene.wins.uva.nl/~zboray

2. Miro 12 SD PCI and XFree

3. Setting up X-Windows in Solaris 7 (x86)

4. vmtune

5. keyboard problems with X-windows apps in Solaris 2.1 x86

6. MkLinux Flaky Boot Problem

7. X-Windows comes up, when I bring up an Xterm, X-Windows quits

8. Removing a line, & the one before

9. After Install X-windows comes up I run Xterm, X-windows quits

10. x86, x-windows

11. Help in Installing X-Windows in x86

12. X-Windows windows, dem dam windows!

13. File Server for Windows clients (was: Window NT vs x86 solaris vs SCO?)