XFree86 thinks ATI Xpert@Play has only 2 MB

Post by James G. MacKinn » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have just replaced the video card in an old PPro 200 machine with an ATI

similar (but AGP) cards with XFree86 3.3.2, this one is giving me trouble.
The server thinks it only has 2 MB of memory, and it behaves as if it
really does. If I put a VideoRam line in my XF86Config file, the result is
a disaster, with corrupted fonts and multiple copies of windows all over
the place. As a 2 MB card, it works fine if I stick to 8 bpp at 1280 by
1024 or 16 bpp at 1152 by 864.

Could the card itself be defective? I don't have another OS on my machine
to test it with. Here are the key messages from startx:

(--) Mach64: PCI (92) and CONFIG_CHIP_ID (124) don't agree on ChipRev,
        using PCI value
(--) Mach64: Card type: PCI
(--) Mach64: Memory type: 5
(--) Mach64: Video RAM: 2048k
(--) Mach64: Using hardware cursor

(--) Mach64: Ramdac is Internal
(--) Mach64: Ramdac speed: 230 MHz

I don't like the second line, but I don't know what to do about it.

Has anyone got any ideas?
--
James G. MacKinnon                       Department of Economics
    phone: 613 545-2293                  Queen's University

XFree86 thinks ATI Xpert@Play has only 2 MB

Post by Francis GALIEGU » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Normally the installation program has prompted you for the amount of RAM
on your video card. but as it's autoprobed the line is commented out.

Edit your XF86Config, uncomment the line

#VideoRam   8192

--
        fg

"Computers are like air conditioners - they stop working properly when
you open Windows"

XFree86 thinks ATI Xpert@Play has only 2 MB

Post by XXX_p6mata6 » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

If you have Xconfigurator you should use it end specifies the amount of
memory you have.
--
Eric Leblond

WWW  : http://www.cicrp.jussieu.fr
       http://www.cicrp.jussieu.fr/p6mata60

XFree86 thinks ATI Xpert@Play has only 2 MB

Post by R. Parente » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

MacKinnon) wroti:

>I have just replaced the video card in an old PPro 200 machine with an ATI

>(--) Mach64: PCI (92) and CONFIG_CHIP_ID (124) don't agree on ChipRev,
>        using PCI value
>I don't like the second line, but I don't know what to do about it.

>Has anyone got any ideas?

I had just installed a brand new ATI All-in-Wonder Pro 8meg before
trying Linux out. Installed RedHat 5.1 then the 3.3.2.3 upgrade and
i get the same chip rev unknown message (SuperProbe says to report the
unsupported new chip).  So, it looks like we're both out of luck until
the next revision of the Mach64 driver - unless you want to pay for a
copy of one of the commercial X-window drivers like Mode-X or
Accelerator-X.  That's supposing they support the new chip rev too.

hmmm..... I wonder what would happen if i un-installed the Mach64
driver and used the VGA16 driver only.

1. ATI Xpert@Play AGP vs. ATI Xpert@Play 98 AGP

Just wondering if anyone out there is using the either of these cards with
RedHat 5.2 or xfree86 3.3.2.  On RH's compatibility list it says the

What I would really like to know is this : is there a difference between

with RH 5.2.  Any suggestions of other relatively cheap (around $50) video
cards that are agp and work with RH 5.2 (out of the box) would be really
appreciated.
Dan Finn

2. Moving /var/spool/mail

3. Linux Xfree86 runs on LX | VP-3 AGP motherboard slot with ATI Xpert@Play | Xpert@Work

4. ATI Winturbo and font problem

5. XFree86 on ADI 6P (19") and ATI Xpert@Work (*mB)

6. Setting up a DNS server using AIX 4.3

7. XFree86 , Diamond Monster Fusion, and ATI XPERT@Play

8. Help me compile

9. Problems - ATI Xpert@Play and XFree86 3.3.3.1-1.1

10. ATI Xpert@play AGP + XFree86 ??

11. ati agp xpert98 8MB the same type as ati agp xpert@play 8MB 3D rage pro?

12. ATI Xpert 2000, ATI Radeon, Matrox G450 with XFree86

13. Dell D1025HE 17" Ultrascan Monitor and ATI Xpert 98D 8-MB Graphics Card