Porting a UNIX server to a LINUX PC Server

Porting a UNIX server to a LINUX PC Server

Post by David Howell » Thu, 09 Jul 1998 04:00:00

We currently have a HP UNIX based, client server system, with less than 100
clients.  We are considering porting our applications over to a PC Server
running Linux.   Does anyone have any usefull information that may influence
my decision, e.g. how does a PC server running Linux compare to a Risk Based
HP UNIX system, in speed, reliability, maintainability etc.

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer,

Thanks.

David Howells.

1. Need info on PC/NFS and Unix NFS servers, server/client ratio

Anyone using a Unix box to provide NFS service to a large number of DOS machines?
We have about 80 DOS PCs with Wollongong Pathway NFS software on them. We would
like to use a SPARCserver5 or 20 Unix box for the server. We are not sure of the
Server/Client ratio. The Dos machines will be doing light office work like
WordPerfect. The Unix box will not be loaded down.

                                    thanks,

2. ark2000pv + 8bpp problems

3. NetBIOS Linux server (Linux as a PC server)

4. zmodem

5. Extended unix server tty port using a terminal server...

6. bdflush problem

7. port win32 COM Server to linux CORBA server

8. xset under linux ?

9. connect linux to unix server via serial port

10. setup mulitple web server in one pc (Red Hat 7.2 server)

11. Net Bandwith: X-Server vs PC Client/Server

12. setup multiple web server in one pc (Red Hat 7.2 server)

13. Strange Port 113:1433 traffic from my server to my server