bug/conflict in XFree86 3.3.5 on RH6?

Post by Randall J. Par » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I think there may be a very bad bug and/or conflict in XFree86 3.3.5
installed from the rpm's on RedHat 6.0.

Does anyone know if that is true?

I have RedHat 6.0 installed on one machine and had applied the updates
available as of the as of the end of Aug from updates.redhat.com PLUS I
had installed XFree86 3.3.4 from rawhide.redhat.com so I could use a
Matrox G400. That machine is running just fine. It is using Adaptec
2940U2W controllers, IBM 18G drives, and an HP DAT.

I then installed RedHat 6.0 on a 2nd machine also with 2940U2W
controllers, IBM 18G drives and the same HP DAT and an older Matrox
Millenium video board. Everything was fine. I then installed the the
updates available as of Sept 20th or so from updates.redhat.com. These
now included XFree86 3.3.5 (which I installed).

I immediately noticed that it went from a couple of seconds to 30 to 120
seconds for the X server / gdm login to come up at the end of the boot.
It also took 15 to 60 seconds for the gdm login to reappear when logging
out. I put up with it and tried to finish the configuration and find out
what was taking it so long.

At about this same time I started having sever problems with the SCSI
drives and controllers. I kept getting into SCSI time out loops which
could only be broken by powering down the machine (with the attendent
file checks, loss of files, etc.).

I also noticed that this machine took a couple of minutes or more to
pass the NFS mountd but I thought it was just that it had half a dozen
large file systems to export.

When I finally tracked this all down I found a BUNCH of different
variations on filesystem/access timeouts where at the root of all these
problems.

I found the NFS mount was* at the rpc.rquotad phase.

I also found Oracle was consistently failing to find message files
during boot up but was fine when run manually.

I spent several days trying to figure out what was wrong with the SCSI
system and or drivers.

I finally realized that the scsi timeout loops most often occured when I
was logging in and especially if I had a failed login. In the
/var/log/messages I found that the scsi timeouts loops where
consistently starting right after gdm would fail to create :0.xauth
file/link. The scsi problems lessened if I used xdm instead of gdm. They
were also better if I slowed the SCSI buss down; disconnected the DAT,
etc.

Ah, hah, says I, (it's getting late). I updated the system forcing use
of the original XFree86 3.3.3 rpms from the install CD. All of my login,
SCSI timeout problems, NFS mount problems magically and immediately went
away. X server / gdm (or xdm) pop up in a second or two (with no error
messages in /var/log/messages). NFS mount phase flies right by (and
works). I pushed the SCSI speed back up, reattached the DAT drive, etc.
and haven't had a single hick-up in about 24 hours.

THUS, I think there is a bug and/or bad conflict in the XFree86 3.3.5
rpms that I installed from updates.redhat.com

R.Parr
Temp*Arts

1. bugs/conflicts with XFree86 3.3.5

I posted this message half a dozen places attached to X and SCSI issues.
Your's is the first response of any kind that I have gotten.

Nor have I seen any other responses which address these SCSI issues.

This greatly concerns me. I'm very concerned that an XFree86 update caused
such major SCSI problems. That seems to indicate a fragility of the
SCSI/file system that is truly scary. I have some pressing X related
performance issues but feel it would be very dangerous to upgrade my
XFree86 and/or upgrade to RH6.1.

If you hear of anything related to these SCSI and/or X problems please
post it and/or let me know.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

R.Parr

P.S. Every notice how some posts you throw out there just never get a
response from anyone? I expected something on this one even if only
"you're full of beans". Go figure.

2. Linux Newbie: How to boot with Windows 98?

3. xfree86 bug? (or java bug?)

4. command line switches for nwadmin?

5. Apache conflicts: mod_rewrite, mod_dbm_auth, ndbm.h on RH6.0

6. Help with ppp

7. Conflict between modem and soundcard on RH6

8. user and password on Netscape Enterprise Server 2

9. Kernel bug - conflict with C-250 Jumbo Tape drive and Bus Mouse

10. Cache-attribute conflict bug in the kernel exposed on newer A MD Athlon CPUs

11. Cache-attribute conflict bug in the kernel exposed on newer . ..

12. Cache-attribute conflict bug in the kernel exposed on newer AMD A thlon processors [1]

13. VC keys and XFree86 conflict?