2.4 kernel messages

Post by Christopher C. Stum » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:31:56

Greetings,

I recently installed the 2.4 kernel on my Red Hat 6.2  machine.  The
kernel seems to boot fine, but there are a few bugs I need to work out.
Here is a sampling of error messages greped from /var/log/messages  that

occur during system boot up...these concern me.

The third line I find curious.  It is as if a map to the modules isn't
loaded...

Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Loaded 15012 symbols from
/boot/System.map-2.4.0.
Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.4.0.
Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: No module symbols loaded.

Obviously, the error lines are disturbing...

Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: error: 'net.ipv4.ip_always_defrag' is an
unknown key
Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: error: 'kernel.sysrq' is an unknown key

All of these lines concern me. What is nls and why is there no devpts?

Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module devpts
Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos mount: mount: fs type devpts not supported by
kernel
Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
nls_iso8859-1
Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
nls_iso8859-1

Hhhmmm...

Jan 13 18:49:45 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
char-major-14

I've recompiled the kernel, checking my configuration to see if there
are an crucial options I missed which may relate to any of these
errors.   But my configuration seems decent...

I've also tried to figure out how devpts relates to the 2.4 kernel, but
I had trouble finding documentation related to this issue.  What is
different in 2.4 with devpts? I had no problem with my previous
2.2.14-5.0 kernel...

For some reason, modprobe can't find necessary modules.  Is this related

to the  "No module symbols loaded." error in the first sample of
output?  My modules make & install seemed to go fine during the kernel
build.

Any insight into these errors would be helpful.  This is my first kernel

compilation, so please bear with me :)

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

2.4 kernel messages

Post by Jerry Peter » Tue, 16 Jan 2001 05:23:51

Quote:> Greetings,
> I recently installed the 2.4 kernel on my Red Hat 6.2  machine.  The
> kernel seems to boot fine, but there are a few bugs I need to work out.
> Here is a sampling of error messages greped from /var/log/messages  that
> occur during system boot up...these concern me.
> The third line I find curious.  It is as if a map to the modules isn't
> loaded...
> Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Loaded 15012 symbols from
> /boot/System.map-2.4.0.
> Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.4.0.
> Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: No module symbols loaded.

This is klogd telling you it didn't load any module symbols, not
really important.

Quote:> Obviously, the error lines are disturbing...
> Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
> Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
> Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: error: 'net.ipv4.ip_always_defrag' is an
> unknown key
> Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: error: 'kernel.sysrq' is an unknown key
> All of these lines concern me. What is nls and why is there no devpts?
> Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module devpts
> Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos mount: mount: fs type devpts not supported by
> kernel
> Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> nls_iso8859-1
> Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> nls_iso8859-1

What's in modules.conf? What modules are you loading?

Quote:> Hhhmmm...
> Jan 13 18:49:45 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
> char-major-14
> I've recompiled the kernel, checking my configuration to see if there
> are an crucial options I missed which may relate to any of these
> errors.   But my configuration seems decent...
> I've also tried to figure out how devpts relates to the 2.4 kernel, but
> I had trouble finding documentation related to this issue.  What is
> different in 2.4 with devpts? I had no problem with my previous
> 2.2.14-5.0 kernel...
> For some reason, modprobe can't find necessary modules.  Is this related
> to the  "No module symbols loaded." error in the first sample of
> output?  My modules make & install seemed to go fine during the kernel
> build.
> Any insight into these errors would be helpful.  This is my first kernel
> compilation, so please bear with me :)
> Thanks in advance to all who reply.

What modules do you _need_? Figure this out then see if they've been
loaded (lsmod).

        Jerry

2.4 kernel messages

Post by Christer Olofsso » Tue, 16 Jan 2001 18:49:27

Hi Chris,

The messages printed tells you that no modules were loaded.
I suggest you take a look at what is in the /etc/modules.conf. I noticed
the structure of the modules directory /lib/modules/2.4.0/ has changed
a bit between the 2.2 release and 2.4.
The default behaviour (paths etc) of modprobe and depmod made it
neccessary for me to add these paths by hand in modules.conf to get
tings working again.
This can also be done conditionally depending on what kernel you are
running so you can keep the same modules.conf file even if you have an
old kernel installed on your system and run it sometimes.

HTH,

/Christer Olofsson

Quote:

> I recently installed the 2.4 kernel on my Red Hat 6.2  machine.  The
> kernel seems to boot fine, but there are a few bugs I need to work out.
> Here is a sampling of error messages greped from /var/log/messages  that
> occur during system boot up...these concern me.

snip
Quote:> Any insight into these errors would be helpful.  This is my first kernel

Post by Daren Russe » Tue, 16 Jan 2001 06:05:28

>Greetings,

>I recently installed the 2.4 kernel on my Red Hat 6.2  machine.  The
>kernel seems to boot fine, but there are a few bugs I need to work out.
>Here is a sampling of error messages greped from /var/log/messages  that

>occur during system boot up...these concern me.

>The third line I find curious.  It is as if a map to the modules isn't
>loaded...

>Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Loaded 15012 symbols from
>/boot/System.map-2.4.0.
>Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: Symbols match kernel version 2.4.0.
>Jan 13 18:49:42 Taltos kernel: No module symbols loaded.

>Obviously, the error lines are disturbing...

>Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
>Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
>Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: error: 'net.ipv4.ip_always_defrag' is an
>unknown key
>Jan 13 18:49:09 Taltos sysctl: error: 'kernel.sysrq' is an unknown key

>All of these lines concern me. What is nls and why is there no devpts?

>Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module devpts
>Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos mount: mount: fs type devpts not supported by
>kernel
>Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
>nls_iso8859-1
>Jan 13 18:49:10 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
>nls_iso8859-1

>Hhhmmm...

>Jan 13 18:49:45 Taltos modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
>char-major-14

>I've recompiled the kernel, checking my configuration to see if there
>are an crucial options I missed which may relate to any of these
>errors.   But my configuration seems decent...

>I've also tried to figure out how devpts relates to the 2.4 kernel, but
>I had trouble finding documentation related to this issue.  What is
>different in 2.4 with devpts? I had no problem with my previous
>2.2.14-5.0 kernel...

>For some reason, modprobe can't find necessary modules.  Is this related

>to the  "No module symbols loaded." error in the first sample of
>output?  My modules make & install seemed to go fine during the kernel
>build.

>Any insight into these errors would be helpful.  This is my first kernel

>compilation, so please bear with me :)

>Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Hi

The first and most obvious thing is: Did you upgrade your modutils etc before
installing?  I'm 100% sure about your specific errors as I am still getting
my head around things as well, but it is possible this would cause these.

Read the Documents/Changes file to make sure you are completely up to date,
especially if your coming from a 2.2 kernel.

HTH
Daren

1. 2.4 kernel messages

[...]

2. EDO memoyr in 43P-100?

3. ifdown ppp0 problem

4. Multicast Message under kernel 2.4

5. Linux Install Problems: Abit KR7A-RAID, Dual boot, Init problems

6. Afio and BAckupscript

7. Why does the 2.4 kernel log messages out of order?

8. 2.4 kernel 2.4 ppp cannot connect

9. does 2.4 kernel need 2.4 initrd?

10. PROBLEM: my Aviator Webgear 2.4 doesn't work with kernel version 2.4.x

11. IPv6 module of Kernel 2.4.x & Kernel 2.6.x