playing mp3s and having gnome sound effects don't mix

playing mp3s and having gnome sound effects don't mix

Post by Michael Sherma » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hey all, have a problem.  Whenever I start up a MP3
player, it won't play anything if I've done something
to trigger a Gnome sound effect.  For example, if
I slide the panel out of the way (making that little
hissing sound), it refuses to play anything.

If, however, I log in, and before doing anything else
play an MP3, I can get it to play.  But, the first time
I try to slide the panel, it locks up.

Any ideas?  Seems esd has conflicts or something...

RH 6.0, Gnome, Enlightenment.
Creative Ensoniq sound card

-Mike

--

|--- http://members.tripod.com/~msherman/ ---------|
\--- DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER! -1984, Orwell ---------/

playing mp3s and having gnome sound effects don't mix

Post by Pope Felix the Scurrilo » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I've had similar problems, for me it was playing MP3s (with xmms) and using
exmh with sound effects.  Exmh would lock up every so often after trying to
play a sound effect.  Maybe sound output on that particular channel
(i think MP3s and wavs both use the same channel) blocks?

The solution, I suppose, would be to have some sort of software mixer in
between the soundcard and the apps that could accept input from as many
different sources as one liked.  Hmm....

A question:  do you use sox to do Gnome sound FX?  'cos I use sox for
exmh's sound FX, so the problem might lie there...

Kit

:
: Hey all, have a problem.  Whenever I start up a MP3
: player, it won't play anything if I've done something
: to trigger a Gnome sound effect.  For example, if
: I slide the panel out of the way (making that little
: hissing sound), it refuses to play anything.
:
: If, however, I log in, and before doing anything else
: play an MP3, I can get it to play.  But, the first time
: I try to slide the panel, it locks up.
:

playing mp3s and having gnome sound effects don't mix

Post by Jeremi » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I've had similar problems, for me it was playing MP3s (with xmms) and using
> exmh with sound effects.  Exmh would lock up every so often after trying to
> play a sound effect.  Maybe sound output on that particular channel
> (i think MP3s and wavs both use the same channel) blocks?

        Exactly...  if you do 'fuser -v /dev/dsp' after doing a sound,
you'll see that something is using (hogging) the device.  Michael's
problem was (I believe) that he didn't have his mp3 player set up for
esound output, and that he had an incorrect flag sent to esd.  I posted
something about this to comp.os.linux.hardware.  Basically, you should
try calling esd with the '-as 2' flag instead of the (default, I believe)
'-as 30' flag.

Quote:

> The solution, I suppose, would be to have some sort of software mixer in
> between the soundcard and the apps that could accept input from as many
> different sources as one liked.  Hmm....

        There is one, at least for E... (I don't know if it works with
other WMs)  It's called 'esound'.  Not all apps natively work with it
(xmms has a plugin for esound output), but most apps can use it if you
use either: 'appfoo | esdcat' or 'esddsp appfoo'.

Brian

--
email to bmeloon1 at twcny dot rr dot com.  evilquaker is a spam collector.

1. can't play sounds, but Gnome sound effects work!

My Gnome sound effects work (sliding bar swish, etc), but
I cannot play MP3s or use xplay to play .au files.  When
I try xplay, it complains:

/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy

Any reason?  My sound card is correctly compiled in, and
like I mentioned the Gnome effects work great.  Is this
a hardware conflict or something fishy with esd?

Running RedHat 6.0, E, Gnome.
Creative Ensoniq sound card

Thanks in advance,
-Mike

--

|--- http://members.tripod.com/~msherman/ ---------|
\--- DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER! -1984, Orwell ---------/

2. lpd problem

3. gnome, esd, playing MP3's crash

4. AcceleratedX = 35+ Megs of Memory?

5. Linux and my Sound Card (playing Wave and MP3's)

6. Hard drives and Linux

7. Unable to play MP3's, sound server error, why!?!

8. mounting (accessing) a novell file system on unix box?

9. Sound Card & Serial Mouse don't mix ...

10. Playing mp3's doesn't work under Linux SuSe 7.0

11. "au-play" (plays *.au's thru speaker, no sound card needed)

12. Gnome needs E, E don't need Gnome

13. XMMS can't play MP3's on FreeBSD 4.7