Netscape & Quake2

Post by Bobste » Sun, 24 May 1998 04:00:00

    Before, I was using Slackware Linux 3.2.  Got Netscape and even Quake2
to run fine under it.

    I've just changed over to Red Hat 5.0 and nothing works.  I've gunzip
and tar the archive files of Netscape and Quake2 to their appropriate
directories and it seems there are no "execution" file that works, although
they are the same execution file that exists under Slackware, namely
"netscape" and "quake2".

    I get this error everytime.  "bash netscape: command not found" when I
type netscape or quake2 under X-windows.  Under Slackware, they would load
up the appropriate programs.

    What is wrong with my Red Hat 5.0?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Netscape & Quake2

Post by Artur Kedziersk » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

        RedHat uses libc6 library, while Slackware uses libc5. The files
that you have tarred are linked to the libc5.
        The solution to your problem is to download new netscape and
Quake2 that are linked with libc6.

University of California, Riverside   Computer Science Department
Live long, learn Linux, and prosper.

>     Before, I was using Slackware Linux 3.2.  Got Netscape and even Quake2
> to run fine under it.

>     I've just changed over to Red Hat 5.0 and nothing works.  I've gunzip
> and tar the archive files of Netscape and Quake2 to their appropriate
> directories and it seems there are no "execution" file that works, although
> they are the same execution file that exists under Slackware, namely
> "netscape" and "quake2".

>     I get this error everytime.  "bash netscape: command not found" when I
> type netscape or quake2 under X-windows.  Under Slackware, they would load
> up the appropriate programs.

>     What is wrong with my Red Hat 5.0?

> Thanks in advance.

> Bob

Netscape & Quake2

Post by Ian MacArth » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

In his posting, Artur Kedzierski said...

Quote:

>        RedHat uses libc6 library, while Slackware uses libc5. The files
>that you have tarred are linked to the libc5.
>        The solution to your problem is to download new netscape and
>Quake2 that are linked with libc6.

This is an overly simplistic assesment, perhaps? I now have RH5.0, and as far
as I can tell, my old libc5 stuff still seems to work - there appear to be
links in my system that point to libc5 as well as libc6 ?

Of course, I could be talking nonsense here...

FWIW, both the Netscape tar and Quake(1) seem to work OK anyway. Dodgy
paths might be a simpler explanation for the original poster problem?
The current directory "." isn't in the path by default on my system.
--
                         Ian MacArthur

Opinions expressed here are (probably) my own.
They were when I typed them.
They are not necessarily the company or anyone else's.

Netscape & Quake2

Post by Chris Do » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

Well,

You might first want to make sure your path is correct, with
references to where your programs are installed.  Also, if you are
running them from the directory the programs are in, try
./netscape...or you could edit the path to include "."

Chris

Quote:>    Before, I was using Slackware Linux 3.2.  Got Netscape and even Quake2
>to run fine under it.

>    I've just changed over to Red Hat 5.0 and nothing works.  I've gunzip
>and tar the archive files of Netscape and Quake2 to their appropriate
>directories and it seems there are no "execution" file that works, although
>they are the same execution file that exists under Slackware, namely
>"netscape" and "quake2".

>    I get this error everytime.  "bash netscape: command not found" when I
>type netscape or quake2 under X-windows.  Under Slackware, they would load
>up the appropriate programs.

>    What is wrong with my Red Hat 5.0?

>Thanks in advance.

>Bob

Netscape & Quake2

Post by Brian Fahrlande » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

> Well,

> You might first want to make sure your path is correct, with
> references to where your programs are installed.  Also, if you are
> running them from the directory the programs are in, try
> ./netscape...or you could edit the path to include "."

> Chris

> >    Before, I was using Slackware Linux 3.2.  Got Netscape and even Quake2
> >to run fine under it.

> >    I've just changed over to Red Hat 5.0 and nothing works.  I've gunzip
> >and tar the archive files of Netscape and Quake2 to their appropriate
> >directories and it seems there are no "execution" file that works, although
> >they are the same execution file that exists under Slackware, namely
> >"netscape" and "quake2".

> >    I get this error everytime.  "bash netscape: command not found" when I
> >type netscape or quake2 under X-windows.  Under Slackware, they would load
> >up the appropriate programs.

> >    What is wrong with my Red Hat 5.0?

    One more hint: make symbolic links from 'odd' pathnames to
/usr/local/bin so that you don't have to make changes to the usual
paths.  It is, of course, a good idea to put programs that aren't part
of the normal distribution or in an RPM in /usr/local/bin, too.

    Did you install Netscape from a package or an RPM?  An RPM will
automatically put things in a regular path and take care of the
problem.  One more hint; under no circumstances should you FORCE an RPM
into place.  Right out of the box, the RPMS are installed only when they
have everything they need to run.  Forcing a package can load things
without, say, library support...and not only will they not run, they'll
act as a resource for later packages that believe whatever RPM tells
them is there.  RPM is a good standard; it knows better than anyone what
is and is not there.  If it can't load something, and you have a recent
version of RPM, there's something else wrong.

    Brian

Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
Linux-head
Evansville, IN
ICQ:5119262
http://dy*.net/users/kilroy
  Treason? "It's not wether it happened, but the seriousness of the
charge."
                                                         -- Right, Mr.
Gingrich?

Netscape & Quake2

Post by ├╝berhun » Mon, 01 Jun 1998 04:00:00

BINGO!  Yes, some distributions (RH included) don't include the current
directory './' in the search path, for security reasons.  You simply
have to put the path in along with the command.  If you're in the
directory where the install file is, just type
   ./netscape
No sense in making symbolic links, since you'll only run this program
once.

Once it's installed, though, I'm not sure if the actual netscape
executable is in the command path.  Might want to make a symbolic link
to THAT in your /usr/bin.

-berhund

> Well,

> You might first want to make sure your path is correct, with
> references to where your programs are installed.  Also, if you are
> running them from the directory the programs are in, try
> ./netscape...or you could edit the path to include "."

> Chris

> >    Before, I was using Slackware Linux 3.2.  Got Netscape and even Quake2
> >to run fine under it.

> >    I've just changed over to Red Hat 5.0 and nothing works.  I've gunzip
> >and tar the archive files of Netscape and Quake2 to their appropriate
> >directories and it seems there are no "execution" file that works, although
> >they are the same execution file that exists under Slackware, namely
> >"netscape" and "quake2".

> >    I get this error everytime.  "bash netscape: command not found" when I
> >type netscape or quake2 under X-windows.  Under Slackware, they would load
> >up the appropriate programs.

> >    What is wrong with my Red Hat 5.0?

> >Thanks in advance.

> >Bob

1. Non Netscape Proxy between Netscape Commerce Server & Netscape Browser

When trying to access http://www.internet.net/ we received the following
error within Netscape:

Error 400
Invalid request "CONNECT www.internet.net:443 HTTP/1.0" (unknown method)

When accessing the page through Mosaic we get the page without any errors!

Looking further into this, we realized that the http site was using a Netsite-Commerce/1.0 server.  Another note is internally we access the outside
world using a proxy server(CERN). On further investigation, we realized
that our environment variable in Netscape, Security Proxy, was set to our
proxy server.  Yet our proxy server (CERN) does not offer any of the
security methods.

How can we enable the CERN Proxy server to be able to pass through Netscapes security queries?  Any information would be helpful!

                        Thanks,
                        Vicki.

2. Linux Mail Server backup easy? ...

3. Quake2 and Netscape

4. Help with ftape

5. QUAKE2 & mouse handling

6. NMAP fails on -sF/-sX/-sN scans

7. awe 64 isapnp and quake2&3

8. Gay germs?

9. Quake2 & IP Masq. Performance

10. Eth0: transmit timed out & Quake2

11. oss & quake2 problem

12. ref_soft.so and ref_softx.so & quake2

13. Quake & Quake2 problem in Linux