rxvt 2.20

Post by Mark B. Turne » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I recently downloaded rxvt 2.20, compiled and installed it.  The main
reason I got it was to display xpm's in the background.  The problem is
that every time I try "rxvt -pixmap <xpm>" it gives me "unknown option"
errors for "-pixmap" and <xpm>.  The documentation only mentioned one
library that was needed and I have it.  Is there some option I missed when
compiling it?  I checked feature.h and made sure that xpm background
support was enabled.  When I type "rxvt --help" the version is 2.20.  Any
insight is greatly appreciated.
--
Mark B. Turner

*remove the "_1" in my address to reply by e-mail

rxvt 2.20

Post by Robert Mihr » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I recently downloaded rxvt 2.20, compiled and installed it.  The main
>reason I got it was to display xpm's in the background.  The problem is
>that every time I try "rxvt -pixmap <xpm>" it gives me "unknown option"
>errors for "-pixmap" and <xpm>.  The documentation only mentioned one
>library that was needed and I have it.  Is there some option I missed when
>compiling it?  I checked feature.h and made sure that xpm background
>support was enabled.  When I type "rxvt --help" the version is 2.20.  Any
>insight is greatly appreciated.
>--
>Mark B. Turner

>*remove the "_1" in my address to reply by e-mail

Hi,
rxvt 2.20 is buggy. Go to ftp.debian.org to get a bug-fixed 2.20 or go to
<http://babayaga.math.fu-berlin.de/~rxvt> to get rxvt 2.4.4.

Regards,
Rob

--

http://www.snafu.de/~rob.dm

rxvt 2.20

Post by Leiming Qi » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>>I recently downloaded rxvt 2.20, compiled and installed it.  The main
>>reason I got it was to display xpm's in the background.  The problem is
>>that every time I try "rxvt -pixmap <xpm>" it gives me "unknown option"
>>errors for "-pixmap" and <xpm>.  The documentation only mentioned one
>>library that was needed and I have it.  Is there some option I missed when
>>compiling it?  I checked feature.h and made sure that xpm background
>>support was enabled.  When I type "rxvt --help" the version is 2.20.  Any
>>insight is greatly appreciated.

Run configure --help to see all the options available before you actually
run configure itself, there is an option there defining background xpm.

HTH,

yours
Leiming

--

Digital Signal Processing Group          | Under Professor Douglas. L. Jones
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign | VI lover, Webmania, PC expert!

rxvt 2.20

Post by Robert Mihr » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>>>I recently downloaded rxvt 2.20, compiled and installed it.  The main
>>>reason I got it was to display xpm's in the background.  The problem is
>>>that every time I try "rxvt -pixmap <xpm>" it gives me "unknown option"
>>>errors for "-pixmap" and <xpm>.  The documentation only mentioned one
>>>library that was needed and I have it.  Is there some option I missed when
>>>compiling it?  I checked feature.h and made sure that xpm background
>>>support was enabled.  When I type "rxvt --help" the version is 2.20.  Any
>>>insight is greatly appreciated.

>Run configure --help to see all the options available before you actually
>run configure itself, there is an option there defining background xpm.

>HTH,

>yours
>Leiming

There are two problems:
1. If you configure --with-xpm, rxvt isn't linked against libxpm. You have to
edit either Makefile.in or Makefile.
2. 2.20 has problems with the pixmap search code. You can only load pixmaps
from the $PWD.

Regards,
Rob

--

http://www.snafu.de/~rob.dm

rxvt 2.20

Post by maca.. » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I recently downloaded rxvt 2.20, compiled and installed it.  The main
> reason I got it was to display xpm's in the background.  The problem is
> that every time I try "rxvt -pixmap <xpm>" it gives me "unknown option"
> errors for "-pixmap" and <xpm>.  The documentation only mentioned one
> library that was needed and I have it.  Is there some option I missed when
> compiling it?  I checked feature.h and made sure that xpm background
> support was enabled.  When I type "rxvt --help" the version is 2.20.  Any
> insight is greatly appreciated.

When I compiled it the XPM pixmap options were not properly detected
even though it was looking in the right place for them.

I no longer have the source but.... you can fix it by just defining
'#define USE_XPM 1' or similar in the config.h file generated
by configure.

rxvt 2.20

Post by Sean M Hollingswort » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I recently downloaded rxvt 2.20, compiled and installed it.  The main
> reason I got it was to display xpm's in the background.  The problem is
> that every time I try "rxvt -pixmap <xpm>" it gives me "unknown option"
> errors for "-pixmap" and <xpm>.  The documentation only mentioned one
> library that was needed and I have it.  Is there some option I missed when
> compiling it?  I checked feature.h and made sure that xpm background
> support was enabled.  When I type "rxvt --help" the version is 2.20.  Any
> insight is greatly appreciated.
> --
> Mark B. Turner

> *remove the "_1" in my address to reply by e-mail

  Hmmm, I seem to be having the same problem, but with 2.4.4.  Now, after
going back and reading the documentation (of course I didn't before I started
... I'm American and male) I find that (1) I need to have libXpm and (2) need
to configure rxvt with the option to display xpms.  Not really a problem
except (1) I do not seem to have libXpm on my system and (2) after reading
the posts that preceded this, I am slightly more confused than when I began
(no offense to anyone ... it's just me).

So, from where can I download libXpm?  Since I installed everything off of
the Slakware CD except the XServer Development Stuff, I am led to believe
that libXpm is not part of the standard distribution.  Or have I just
overlooked it?  Next, it is my undertstanding that the correct procedure
(once I locate this library) to compile rxvt with xpm support is as follows:

configure --with-xpm
make
make install

Is this correct or am I skipping something?  No, I'm not totally clueless,
just somewhat new to Unix environments...

rxvt 2.20

Post by Sean M Hollingswort » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > I recently downloaded rxvt 2.20, compiled and installed it.  The main
> > reason I got it was to display xpm's in the background.  The problem is
> > that every time I try "rxvt -pixmap <xpm>" it gives me "unknown option"
> > errors for "-pixmap" and <xpm>.  The documentation only mentioned one
> > library that was needed and I have it.  Is there some option I missed when
> > compiling it?  I checked feature.h and made sure that xpm background
> > support was enabled.  When I type "rxvt --help" the version is 2.20.  Any
> > insight is greatly appreciated.
> > --
> > Mark B. Turner

> > *remove the "_1" in my address to reply by e-mail

>   Hmmm, I seem to be having the same problem, but with 2.4.4.  Now, after
> going back and reading the documentation (of course I didn't before I started
> ... I'm American and male) I find that (1) I need to have libXpm and (2) need
> to configure rxvt with the option to display xpms.  Not really a problem
> except (1) I do not seem to have libXpm on my system and (2) after reading
> the posts that preceded this, I am slightly more confused than when I began
> (no offense to anyone ... it's just me).

> So, from where can I download libXpm?  Since I installed everything off of
> the Slakware CD except the XServer Development Stuff, I am led to believe
> that libXpm is not part of the standard distribution.  Or have I just
> overlooked it?  Next, it is my undertstanding that the correct procedure
> (once I locate this library) to compile rxvt with xpm support is as follows:

> configure --with-xpm
> make
> make install

> Is this correct or am I skipping something?  No, I'm not totally clueless,
> just somewhat new to Unix environments...

  The Management would like to apologize for the apparent imbecility of the
author of the preceeding post and for any inconvience it may have caused.
Immediately after posting his message, the method by which Mr. Hollingsworth was
*ing up the rxvt construct was uncovered and the situation corrected.  Mr.
Hollingsworth has since been sacked.

Thank you.

--The Llamas

rxvt 2.20

Post by Sean M Hollingswort » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>   Hmmm, I seem to be having the same problem, but with 2.4.4.  Now, after
> going back and reading the documentation (of course I didn't before I started
> ... I'm American and male) I find that (1) I need to have libXpm and (2) need
> to configure rxvt with the option to display xpms.  Not really a problem
> except (1) I do not seem to have libXpm on my system and (2) after reading
> the posts that preceded this, I am slightly more confused than when I began
> (no offense to anyone ... it's just me).

> So, from where can I download libXpm?  Since I installed everything off of
> the Slakware CD except the XServer Development Stuff, I am led to believe
> that libXpm is not part of the standard distribution.  Or have I just
> overlooked it?  Next, it is my undertstanding that the correct procedure
> (once I locate this library) to compile rxvt with xpm support is as follows:

> configure --with-xpm
> make
> make install

> Is this correct or am I skipping something?  No, I'm not totally clueless,
> just somewhat new to Unix environments...

Ummm ... ignore my previous post.  It seems I was temporarily brain-dead when I
wrote it.  I've since gotten much better, thanks; rxvt works fine now, too.

Oh, and if a message much like this one from the Llamas shows up, disregard that
too ... Communicator is giving me fits tonight.

1. rxvt 2.20 and pixmaps

Hi everyone,

I recently downloaded rxvt-2.20.  I compiled it with XPM support and then
tried to bring it up with a background pixmap.  But, I haven't been
successful.  Even though a "-pixmap" command line option is listed in
the man page, when I issue the rxvt command with that option, I am told
that it is not a supported option.  Is there some way around this or am I
just overlooking something?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bidemi Temidire

2. Mounting dos partitions

3. joe & rxvt 2.20

4. Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM and Idek MF-8617A

5. Help with rxvt 2.2 (or 2.18)

6. Line printer input filter apsfilter 4.9.5 available

7. Upgraded from 2.2-GAMMA to 2.2-RELEASE: problems...

8. Sager Notebook 8200 prob solved!!

9. broken 2.2 IDE CD-RW (was Re: plain 2.2.X: no ide CD-RW?)

10. Problem upgrading to RedHat kernal 2.2-17 from 2.2-16

11. missing gendisk initialization in cpqarray.c (Linux-2.2.20) P-srvr <ID:NAD01120273418-268634881>

12. Zsh 2.20

13. Dip script in Slackware 2.20 (linux 1.2.5) don't work any more