FreeType/TrueType fonts in XFree86 4.0

FreeType/TrueType fonts in XFree86 4.0

Post by David H Mui » Mon, 08 May 2000 04:00:00



Hi All,

anyone successfully got freetype and truetype fonts working in xfree 4.0?

the server is built in but where do i copy the fonts to (suse 6.4) and is
there a special command to built font lists etc.?

cheers,

dave

 
 
 

FreeType/TrueType fonts in XFree86 4.0

Post by Rand » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00




Quote:>Hi All,

>anyone successfully got freetype and truetype fonts working in xfree 4.0?

>the server is built in but where do i copy the fonts to (suse 6.4) and is
>there a special command to built font lists etc.?

>cheers,

>dave

Beats me. I'm using RH 6.2 with XFree86 4.0 and it wants the fonts in
/usr/X11R6/Lib/X11/fonts/. I moved my ttfonts dir from /usr/share/fonts to
this directory, ran chkfontpath and it immedately recognized them.

 
 
 

FreeType/TrueType fonts in XFree86 4.0

Post by Juliusz Chrobocze » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00



DM> anyone successfully got freetype and truetype fonts working in xfree 4.0?

Yes.

DM> the server is built in but where do i copy the fonts to (suse 6.4)

Wherever you wish.  Just add the new directory to the font path in
XF86Config.

DM> there a special command to built font lists etc.?

Yes.  You need to build a ``fonts.dir'' file.  This is done in two
steps: first run ttmkfdir to create ``fonts.scale'', then run
mkfontdir to create ``fonts.dir''.  Man is your friend (X(1), XFree86(1),
Xserver(1), mkfontdir(1), ttmkfdir(1)).

I don't know if SuSE comes with ttmkfdir, but if it doesn't, you can
get it from

  http://www.joerg-pommnitz.de/TrueType/xfsft.html

                                        J.

 
 
 

FreeType/TrueType fonts in XFree86 4.0

Post by yaya » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00


I've tried this and I still can't see any truetype fonts.
I am using the 3DFX Voodoo3 XFree86 4.0 server.
My XFree86.0.log file looks like everything is fine.  The font dir is in FontPath and the
Freetype module loads fine.  I tried the XTT module and it was the same
I just don't see any fonts.
Is there another step needed or could this be a 3DFX "feature"?  




> DM> anyone successfully got freetype and truetype fonts working in xfree
> 4.0?

> Yes.

> DM> the server is built in but where do i copy the fonts to (suse 6.4)

> Wherever you wish.  Just add the new directory to the font path in
> XF86Config.

> DM> there a special command to built font lists etc.?

> Yes.  You need to build a ``fonts.dir'' file.  This is done in two
> steps: first run ttmkfdir to create ``fonts.scale'', then run mkfontdir
> to create ``fonts.dir''.  Man is your friend (X(1), XFree86(1),
> Xserver(1), mkfontdir(1), ttmkfdir(1)).

> I don't know if SuSE comes with ttmkfdir, but if it doesn't, you can get
> it from

>   http://www.joerg-pommnitz.de/TrueType/xfsft.html

>                                         J.

 
 
 

FreeType/TrueType fonts in XFree86 4.0

Post by Martin Bisho » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00


Hi,

I don't have a solution for you, but just to confirm I have the same
problem as you so you won't feel alone :)

My X system is based on the mga driver and I still have the fonts
problem so I don't think it's the voodoo3's fault.

There must be something that we're both not doing right. Beats me
if I know what it is.

Cheers,
MB.



> I've tried this and I still can't see any truetype fonts. I am using the
> 3DFX Voodoo3 XFree86 4.0 server. My XFree86.0.log file looks like
> everything is fine.  The font dir is in FontPath and the  Freetype
> module loads fine.  I tried the XTT module and it was the same  I just
> don't see any fonts. Is there another step needed or could this be a
> 3DFX "feature"?  

<SNIP>
 
 
 

FreeType/TrueType fonts in XFree86 4.0

Post by AJG » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00


If your still getting the "directory removed from the fonts directory
list" message (seen from startx >& startx.log), this is how I got my TT
fonts to work just today:

X 4.0 does not appear to like .ttf files with spaces or apostrophes (')
in them.  I renamed the .ttf files to change spaces to underscores and
removed the apostrophes.  Then I redid the ttmkfdir and/or mkfontdir,
and then it worked!

I had a number of ttf files with spaces and apostrophes among the many
I've downloaded.

Alan.


> Hi,

> I don't have a solution for you, but just to confirm I have the same
> problem as you so you won't feel alone :)

> My X system is based on the mga driver and I still have the fonts
> problem so I don't think it's the voodoo3's fault.

> There must be something that we're both not doing right. Beats me
> if I know what it is.

> Cheers,
> MB.



> > I've tried this and I still can't see any truetype fonts. I am using the
> > 3DFX Voodoo3 XFree86 4.0 server. My XFree86.0.log file looks like
> > everything is fine.  The font dir is in FontPath and the  Freetype
> > module loads fine.  I tried the XTT module and it was the same  I just
> > don't see any fonts. Is there another step needed or could this be a
> > 3DFX "feature"?

> <SNIP>

 
 
 

FreeType/TrueType fonts in XFree86 4.0

Post by yaya » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00


Nope that's not it.  My directory is not removed in the log.  No spaces or
apostrophes in the font names.  I ended up commenting out the Freetype
driver, commenting out the FontPath and just running xfstt.  That seems to
work fine.

> If your still getting the "directory removed from the fonts directory
> list" message (seen from startx >& startx.log), this is how I got my TT
> fonts to work just today:

> X 4.0 does not appear to like .ttf files with spaces or apostrophes (')
> in them.  I renamed the .ttf files to change spaces to underscores and
> removed the apostrophes.  Then I redid the ttmkfdir and/or mkfontdir,
> and then it worked!

> I had a number of ttf files with spaces and apostrophes among the many
> I've downloaded.

> Alan.


>> Hi,

>> I don't have a solution for you, but just to confirm I have the same
>> problem as you so you won't feel alone :)

>> My X system is based on the mga driver and I still have the fonts
>> problem so I don't think it's the voodoo3's fault.

>> There must be something that we're both not doing right. Beats me if I
>> know what it is.

>> Cheers, MB.



>> > I've tried this and I still can't see any truetype fonts. I am using
>> > the
>> > 3DFX Voodoo3 XFree86 4.0 server. My XFree86.0.log file looks like
>> > everything is fine.  The font dir is in FontPath and the  Freetype
>> > module loads fine.  I tried the XTT module and it was the same  I
>> > just don't see any fonts. Is there another step needed or could this
>> > be a
>> > 3DFX "feature"?

>> <SNIP>

 
 
 

1. XFree86 4.0, TrueType fonts.alias file for Netscape: there MUST be a better way..!!??

Hi,
I have *finally* managed to get TrueType fonts working in Netscape under
XFree86 4.0, but there is a final hurdle: the fonts.alias file. Now all
the documentation I have read says that creating the fonts.alias file is
a PITA, but even so ...

I currently have a fonts.scale file (generated with ttmkfdir) with 284
entries, and have configured Netscape to use a size 14.0 variable width
"Times New Roman" font. However, in order for Netscape to remember this
little detail, I have had to create the following alias file:

"-monotype-Times New Roman-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-p-*-ascii-0"  \
  "-monotype-Times New Roman-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-ascii-0"
"-monotype-Times New Roman-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-p-*-fcd8859-15"  \
  "-monotype-Times New Roman-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-fcd8859-15"
"-monotype-Times New Roman-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-15"  \
  "-monotype-Times New Roman-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15"
"-monotype-Times New Roman-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1"  \
  "-monotype-Times New Roman-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-1"

Until I explicitly created this size 14 alias, only size 0 and 12 fonts
showed up in Netscape's font selector box. Now I have a choice of 0, 12
and 14 and Netscape remembers when I choose 14.

My problem? Extrapolating this approach to my entire fonts.scale file
implies that I will need 284 entries to create size 14 fonts, another
284 entries for size 18 etc etc. This seems ridiculous! Am I missing
something here? I will *always* be aliasing to the size 0 font so is
there someway that I can do this for all sizes at once? I have tried the
obvious approach of using "*" instead of 14 but Netscape doesn't pick up
on this.

Thanks for any insights,
Cheers,
Chris.

2. Command line driven MIME ..?

3. Please help: How to use TrueType Fonts with XFree86 4.0

4. Near 100 SITES 2 SUPPORT U

5. xfree86 4.0 and truetype fonts

6. why do programs login?

7. truetype fonts in xfree86 4.0

8. does diald need DNS ?

9. Truetype fonts on XFree86 4.0 and Netscape

10. XFree86 4.0 & TrueType fonts problem solved

11. (fwd) FreeType beta released -- a portable TrueType font rendering engine

12. truetype support with xfree86 4.0

13. Xfree86 Server with TrueType Fonts