X Memory Use Questions

Post by Matt Willi » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

What's normal memory use in X windows? I get 25M, 27M, sometimes more. I
use
the SVGA driver (my chipset is Riva 128). I am using Xfree86 3.3.2.3-25
and
recently upgraded from RH 5.1 to RH 5.2 - I am using Netscape 4.07,
another
real memory pig, and WindowMaker 0.50.2, and no fancy backgrounds.

I've got 128M ram, but nearly half of my ram being used by NS and X
seems
crazy.

- Matt Willis

X Memory Use Questions

Post by Robert Flas » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Matt,

My "top" reports the following program sizes in memory:
Size:            Program:
8028            X
2172            nxterm
16040            netscape-common

I am running Netscape Communicator 4.08, an Xterminal, Usernet all on a
system with 48Mb of RAM. The swap drive never becomes active while running.
So... I have no idea why your system is behaving that way. My kernel is
2.0.34, RedHat 5.1.

Robert

> What's normal memory use in X windows? I get 25M, 27M, sometimes more. I
> use
> the SVGA driver (my chipset is Riva 128). I am using Xfree86 3.3.2.3-25
> and
> recently upgraded from RH 5.1 to RH 5.2 - I am using Netscape 4.07,
> another
> real memory pig, and WindowMaker 0.50.2, and no fancy backgrounds.

> I've got 128M ram, but nearly half of my ram being used by NS and X
> seems
> crazy.

> - Matt Willis

X Memory Use Questions

Post by Matt Willi » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Thanks, I think I found out what the problem may be. Netscape appears
to be bugged. I upgraded to 4.07 recently. Today my X top appeared
to grow and grow. X windows hit 72M memory use! (Seriously!) and the
whole system clogged right down. This tended to happen when I invoked
a search in news, btw, and had happened 2x before. I shut Netscape down,
and X memory use dropped down to 15M. High, but not so crazy.

I don't really know how X works - maybe some of the memory X is using
is a result of Netscape actions. It appears so. So my theory is this:
Netscape 4.07 is memory-leaking and eventually bringing X to its knees.

I've downloaded Netscape 3.04 Gold, very stable, but with about 26M ram
usage for X. It doesn't work properly with my wheel mouse, so I am
trying 4.50. I guess I could try 4.08 too.

- Matt

> Matt,

> My "top" reports the following program sizes in memory:
> Size:            Program:
> 8028            X
> 2172            nxterm
> 16040            netscape-common

> I am running Netscape Communicator 4.08, an Xterminal, Usernet all on a
> system with 48Mb of RAM. The swap drive never becomes active while running.
> So... I have no idea why your system is behaving that way. My kernel is
> 2.0.34, RedHat 5.1.

> Robert

> > What's normal memory use in X windows? I get 25M, 27M, sometimes more. I
> > use
> > the SVGA driver (my chipset is Riva 128). I am using Xfree86 3.3.2.3-25
> > and
> > recently upgraded from RH 5.1 to RH 5.2 - I am using Netscape 4.07,
> > another
> > real memory pig, and WindowMaker 0.50.2, and no fancy backgrounds.

> > I've got 128M ram, but nearly half of my ram being used by NS and X
> > seems
> > crazy.

> > - Matt Willis

Matthew Willis          Ph.D. Candidate (Environmental Systems)

tel: (607) 255 2734     Cornell University
fax: (607) 255 9004     http://www.tc.cornell.edu/~willis

X Memory Use Questions

Post by Thomas Zaji » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> [ ... ]
> I've downloaded Netscape 3.04 Gold, very stable, but with about 26M ram
> usage for X. It doesn't work properly with my wheel mouse, so I am
> trying 4.50. I guess I could try 4.08 too.

Would you care to let me know where I can still download the old 3.x
versions these days? Theyre definitely gone from ftp.netscape.com,
and archive.netscape.com doesnt allow anonymous login ... :-/

TIA,
Thomas
--
=---------------------------------------------------------------------=
-        Thomas Zajic aka ZlatkO ThE GoDFatheR, Vienna/Austria        -

X Memory Use Questions

Post by Lars Hofhans » Mon, 01 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Would you care to let me know where I can still download the old 3.x
> versions these days? Theyre definitely gone from ftp.netscape.com,
> and archive.netscape.com doesnt allow anonymous login ... :-/

You can still get it from here:
http://www.netscape.com/download/archive/client_index2.html

Unfortunately there's no glibc-2.xx version of NS 3.04...

Cheers,

        Lars

--
Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email
WILL be charged a $100 proof-reading fee. See US Code Title 47,

X Memory Use Questions

Post by Thomas Zaji » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> You can still get it from here:
> http://www.netscape.com/download/archive/client_index2.html

Woop, thanks a lot! I thought it was long gone already. Is it
just me, or do you have to _know_ that URL? I couldnt seem
to find my way to it by just following the download links
on the Netscape pages ...

Quote:> Unfortunately there's no glibc-2.xx version of NS 3.04...

No prob, still running libc5 here. ;-) Now if I only could
find out exactly which libc/libm versions it was linked
against - ISTR that you could avoid (or at least reduce)
those dreaded bus errors that occur every now and then by
using exactly the same lib versions. Although it seems to
me that these errors are mostly occuring on Java pages ...
anyway, thanks again!

Thomas
--