X on Tecra 700CT

Post by Richard Wei » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I know people ask this sort of question all the time, but ...

I am a new user of Linux (and Unix) trying to get Linux and X properly
installed. I went through the setup of X using xf86config on my Toshiba
Tecra 700CT and it almost worked. However, 1) the computer/screen makes
a disconcerting high-pitched scream when I start X, and 2) the config is
obviously not right (window uses only about 2/3 of screen and resolution
is bad).

(Sheepish grin) Does anyone have an appropriate config file they could
send me? The display driver is a Chips & Technologies 65548, maximum
screen resolution of 800 x 600; I have no idea what the appropriate
hsync and vsync numbers are. I'm not sure it matters, but I'm using the
Debian distribution.

Thanks for the help.

1. XFree86 problem on TOSHIBA Tecra 700CT

Hi,

        I installed Linux Slakeware 3.1.13 on a Toshiba Tecra 700CT.  The PCI
was not recognized, but everything else seemed to be OK.
Then I tried to install XFree86 3.1.2.  The XF86Config was created
for generic VGA card (as a first try).  After typing "startx",
I got error messages (and X didn't work):

 > TRANS(SocketUNIXConnect) () can't connect: errno=2  (6 times)

 > xinit: No such file or directory (errno2): no server "X" in PATH
 > xinit: No such file or directory (errno2): unable to connect to
          X server
 > xinit: No such process (errno3): Server error

I have the correct PATH and have X and xinit files (.xinitrc was
also created).

I would appreciate any comments regarding this error message.

        -Edgar

2. Static Route to a remote network

3. Toshiba Tecra 700CT ?

4. Problems with resolution in Xserver

5. 3c589c PCMCIA, Toshiba Tecra 700CT and Suse 6.3

6. OS News

7. Tecra 700CT laptop: video drivers problem

8. Which filesystems support O_DIRECT?

9. Installation on Tecra 700CT stalls on MAKEDEV

10. Tecra 700CT and XFree

11. Toshiba Tecra 700CT can't identify PCMCIA card (3C589C)

12. Char screen on Tecra 700CT

13. How do I setup (beyound VGA) my Toshiba Tecra 700CT video