Netscape 3.01 & 24 bits prob?

Post by Chris Formula » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

It seems that when I run X with a 24 bits color depth Netscape has some
problems.  The Netscape UI is in grey scale.  All the buttons, the Netscape
logo in the upper right corner, and everything else are colorless.  The
web pages that are viewed are fine though and this doesn't happen in
32 bit mode, only 24.  I have a Matrox Millenium with 4M.  Anybody know
if this is a Netscape bug or a MGA driver bug, or what?

--

-FYM

Quote for the day (or week or month depending upon how long it takes me to
get around to changing it):

     "Think very hard about your future and your life.  Carefully write
      it down on a large piece of paper and flush it down the toilet."

Netscape 3.01 & 24 bits prob?

Post by RHS Linux Use » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> It seems that when I run X with a 24 bits color depth Netscape has some
> problems.  The Netscape UI is in grey scale.  All the buttons, the Netscape
> logo in the upper right corner, and everything else are colorless.  The
> web pages that are viewed are fine though and this doesn't happen in
> 32 bit mode, only 24.  I have a Matrox Millenium with 4M.  Anybody know
> if this is a Netscape bug or a MGA driver bug, or what?

Its a matrox bug.  I've used netscape on 24 bit displays before and it works
just fine.  I also have a MGA Mil 4m Myself.  We just have to hang in there
for the 3.2A release of the XF86_SVGA server.  Then, the planets will
align.  (by the way, xli.1.16 also shows up in greyscale.) and xanim is all
screwed up.  in 32 bit mode, xanim won't even run.

So we wait...  The Xfree86 Matrox web page says end of feb.  So if XFree86's
releases are anything like they have been in the past... it will be out at
the end of Feb.  :)

--
C. Shamis                                       / This space intentionally

Netscape 3.01 & 24 bits prob?

Post by Thomas Roel » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> It seems that when I run X with a 24 bits color depth Netscape has some
> problems.  The Netscape UI is in grey scale.  All the buttons, the Netscape
> logo in the upper right corner, and everything else are colorless.  The
> web pages that are viewed are fine though and this doesn't happen in
> 32 bit mode, only 24.  I have a Matrox Millenium with 4M.  Anybody know
> if this is a Netscape bug or a MGA driver bug, or what?

This seems to be something with XF86 specifically. 24bpp with
Accelerated-X does not show this problem. So I would guess it's a bug
(aehm, "unexpected feature") in the MGA driver.

- Thomas
--
             Thomas Roell   /\       Liebe Kunden,
             Xi Graphics   /  \/\ _    bitte vergebt uns unsere Fehler,

                         / Brumpft! \

Netscape 3.01 & 24 bits prob?

Post by David L. Johnso » Thu, 23 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > It seems that when I run X with a 24 bits color depth Netscape has some
> > problems.  The Netscape UI is in grey scale.  All the buttons, the Netscape
> > logo in the upper right corner, and everything else are colorless.  The
> > web pages that are viewed are fine though and this doesn't happen in
> > 32 bit mode, only 24.  I have a Matrox Millenium with 4M.  Anybody know
> > if this is a Netscape bug or a MGA driver bug, or what?

> Its a matrox bug.  I've used netscape on 24 bit displays before and it works
> just fine.

No, it's not just Matrox.  I experienced it as well with a Diamond
Stealth 3d 2000 S3-Virge card.  24bpp support is still not official, and
the latest server was the first one to support 24bpp at all.  But the
black&white Netscape icons is not just a Matrox problem.

I can't test 32 yet, so donno if it'll recur there.

--

Department of Mathematics               http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html
Lehigh University

Netscape 3.01 & 24 bits prob?

Post by John Timmer » Fri, 24 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> > > It seems that when I run X with a 24 bits color depth Netscape has some
> > > problems.  The Netscape UI is in grey scale.  All the buttons, the Netscape

> > Its a matrox bug.  I've used netscape on 24 bit displays before and it works
> > just fine.

> No, it's not just Matrox.  I experienced it as well with a Diamond
> Stealth 3d 2000 S3-Virge card.  24bpp support is still not official, and

> I can't test 32 yet, so donno if it'll recur there.

I use the 4 MB Millenium with a 17' NEC monitor, and have no problems
with Netscape and 24 bpp; of course I'm running Accelerated X server :-)

What I'd like to do though, and haven't been able to, is run a Xnest -ed
8 bpp server on top of my 24 bpp display, so that I can use my wabi
applications.  Not successful so far.

--
Regards

Netscape 3.01 & 24 bits prob?

Post by Jean Lidd » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>> No, it's not just Matrox.  I experienced it as well with a Diamond
>> Stealth 3d 2000 S3-Virge card.  24bpp support is still not official, and

>> I can't test 32 yet, so donno if it'll recur there.

> I use the 4 MB Millenium with a 17' NEC monitor, and have no problems
> with Netscape and 24 bpp; of course I'm running Accelerated X server :-)

Actually, unless your AcceleratedX server is behaving differently than
mine, you are probably actually running in 32-bit color mode.  Run xdpyinfo
to see for sure.  I haven't figured out how to get AcceleratedX into 24-bit
color mode (as opposed to 32), if you have, could you please mail me a hint.
It would be nice to save a littlem memory ...

Quote:> What I'd like to do though, and haven't been able to, is run a Xnest -ed
> 8 bpp server on top of my 24 bpp display, so that I can use my wabi
> applications.  Not successful so far.

I have found a reasonable work-around (albeit kludgy) as follows:

create /etc/Xaccel.ini.8-bit and /etc/Xaccel.ini.32-bit
with the corresponding color depth configurations.  Write a script
for starting wabi which copies the 8bit configuration file over
the standard config file, starts X on another console (startx -- :1),
sleeps for a few seconds, and then restores the original config file
(this kludge was a result of being unable to get local .Xaccel.ini files
to work properly).  You still have to use CTRL-ALT-F7 and CTRL-ALT-F8
to toggle between two, indedependent X sessions, one running in 32-bit
color mode and one running in 8-bit color mode.  Not as cool as having
wabi apps next to your 32-bit netscape, xv, and xanim windows, but pretty
handy for quickly getting at those legacy windows apps you need (in
my case, Quicken 4.0).

hope this is useful,

jean.
------------------------------+---------------------------------------
Jean Liddle                   | DISCLAIMER:  "My thoughts are my own.

                              | thoughts. Ergo, what I write here are
http://www.kcco.com/~jean/    | my own opinions, not my employer's."
------------------------------+---------------------------------------
PGP Public Key Available on my home page & public key servers worldwide
When you go out strolling through the world you do not have the "right
not to be offended" by the values and cultures of other
peoples/countries/religions.   --internet user, condemning the CDA

Netscape 3.01 & 24 bits prob?

Post by Thomas Roel » Wed, 29 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Actually, unless your AcceleratedX server is behaving differently than
> mine, you are probably actually running in 32-bit color mode.  Run xdpyinfo
> to see for sure.  I haven't figured out how to get AcceleratedX into 24-bit
> color mode (as opposed to 32), if you have, could you please mail me a hint.
> It would be nice to save a littlem memory ...

AcceleratedX will not tell you by looking at the 'xdpyinfo' output
whether it is running 24-bit or 32bit. It will always claim to be 32bpp,
because this makes more sence for applications.

Quote:> I have found a reasonable work-around (albeit kludgy) as follows:

> create /etc/Xaccel.ini.8-bit and /etc/Xaccel.ini.32-bit
> with the corresponding color depth configurations.  Write a script
> for starting wabi which copies the 8bit configuration file over
> the standard config file, starts X on another console (startx -- :1),
> sleeps for a few seconds, and then restores the original config file
> (this kludge was a result of being unable to get local .Xaccel.ini files
> to work properly).  You still have to use CTRL-ALT-F7 and CTRL-ALT-F8
> to toggle between two, indedependent X sessions, one running in 32-bit
> color mode and one running in 8-bit color mode.  Not as cool as having
> wabi apps next to your 32-bit netscape, xv, and xanim windows, but pretty
> handy for quickly getting at those legacy windows apps you need (in
> my case, Quicken 4.0).

Still easier is to have a /etc/X0accel.ini and a /etc/X1accel.ini, and
use 'startx :0' and 'startx :1' ...

- Thomas
--
             Thomas Roell   /\       Liebe Kunden,
             Xi Graphics   /  \/\ _    bitte vergebt uns unsere Fehler,

                         / Brumpft! \

1. Netscape 3.01 probs in Linux

Hey, has any other Linux user had a problems like this? You're using Netscape,
and you submit a form, and the browser dies?  I can't for the life of me
even figure out how to trace this!!! I know Netscape 3.01 under Linux is buggy,
and unsupported at that. If there's no fix, can anymore recommend another
browser?  Mosaic maybe? I wouldn't mind having Java support, so I think I'm
relegated to using Netscape. Thanks for listening!
--
IMPORTANT:      PLEASE REMOVE LEADING '_' FROM MY EMAIL ADDRESS.
                I'M TIRED OF GETTING SPAMMED/JUNK-MAILED/ANNOYED!!!

                WEB -> http://www.users.fast.net/~emorr

2. X servers and clients....(ala xwin)

3. 24-bit X server for S3 (esp. Stealth 24)

4. No Bootable Partition ???

5. Q:Netscape icons B/W under 24-bit color.

6. adsl problem with alcatel modem

7. Netscape 24/32 bit mode

8. Perl 5.005_02 on Linux 2.2.1

9. Netscape loses colors in 24-bit mode

10. netscape 3.01 & colormap

11. Hangs at bottom of page: Windows 3.1 & Netscape 3.01 with Stronghold

12. BW Netscape icons with Matrox card, 24-bits

13. Netscape 3.01 & Java