xterm delete and backspace

Post by John Mui » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:07:14

(Sorry if this is frequently asked, but I found no reference to a FAQ
for this ng.)

My delete and backspace key work as I want outside xterm (i.e.
delete=delete char under the cursor, bs=delete left of the cursor in a
non-X terminal), but in xterm both delete left of cursor.

bind -d seems to be correct and I can 'delete under' with C-d. (vi in
X is also OK)

I have tried modifying .xinitrc and .Xdefaults but nothing seems to
work. ?Where are the 'VT100.Translations' defined?

Could anyone tell a newbie exactly how to achive this? Please!

John Muir

xterm delete and backspace

Post by TEDicke » Wed, 14 Feb 2001 07:31:12

> (Sorry if this is frequently asked, but I found no reference to a FAQ
> for this ng.)
> My delete and backspace key work as I want outside xterm (i.e.
> delete=delete char under the cursor, bs=delete left of the cursor in a
> non-X terminal), but in xterm both delete left of cursor.
> bind -d seems to be correct and I can 'delete under' with C-d. (vi in
> X is also OK)
> I have tried modifying .xinitrc and .Xdefaults but nothing seems to
> work. ?Where are the 'VT100.Translations' defined?

translations usually are defined in the app-defaults file, e.g.,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/app-defaults/XTerm
(but they could be in other places)

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

1. backspace and delete keys in xterm under XDM behave strangely.

Greetings,

        On solaris 2.4 after I started XDM daemon, the console as well
as remote X-terminals are managed by XDM. But the BACKSPACE and DELETE
keys are behaving strangely.

        The BACKSPACE key moves the cursor backward, but inside the
buffer, it appends ^H to the command line instead of erasing the
prevous character.

        The DELETE key does not move the cursor backward, but actually
it erases the previous character in the buffer.

        So is there anyway that one can change the behavior of these
keys? Thank you very much!

-- Kang Sun

2. any other way ?

3. Backspace and Delete in xterm

4. name server smail/pine

5. Help, argh.... backspace/delete xterm telnet broken...

6. Reliable Multicast under Solaris...

7. Switching Delete/Backspace key in XTerm only?

8. (Q): Trident 8900c Video & MetroX

9. Backspace and Delete in xterm

10. xterm & delete/backspace

11. Changing Backspace/Delete in Xterms: need help!

12. Backspace in X ; Delete in Xterm

13. backspace does delete not backspace