How to configure X to PseudoColor for creating a private colormap?

How to configure X to PseudoColor for creating a private colormap?

Post by John » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I met a problem:
In my program, I want to create private 256-color colormap and animate it. I
use red-hat, and configure it to 16-bit color. But I found the red-hat use
"TrueColor", not "PseudoColor". I call XMatchVisualInfo() to query a
PseudoColor Visual but it returns False. How do I configure X to
PseudoColor? Is it possible for 16-bit or 24-bit color? How do I create a
256-colormap in a 16-bit or 24-bit system? (because I have to animate this
colormap)
Thanks!

How to configure X to PseudoColor for creating a private colormap?

Post by Jon Atkin » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

PseudoColor maps are only available for 8bit depth visuals...most (if not all)
video cards for PC-Linux can only support one depth at a time, whereas some
Sun cards can support but 8 and 24 bit depths at the same time (it's an
overlay featureset)  So it's most likely that you must start up in 8 bit to do
what you want to do.  Use xdpyinfo to see a list of visuals that you have
available when running X...that's all of them avaialbe for the bit depth
you're in then...so change bit depth to 8, to get the other visuals, or figure
out a more expensive way to do your color-cycling in true color.

                           -=<Long Island Man>=-

How to configure X to PseudoColor for creating a private colormap?

Post by ken.. » Wed, 01 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>PseudoColor maps are only available for 8bit depth visuals...most (if not all)
>video cards for PC-Linux can only support one depth at a time, whereas some
>Sun cards can support but 8 and 24 bit depths at the same time (it's an
>overlay featureset)

Some UNIX hardware also supports 12 or 16 bit PseudoColor.
You are correct that PC X servers generally support only 8 or 24 and not
both simultaneously.  I think XFree never supports more than one depth
simultaneously, but some commercial X servers may (if your hardware is
capable).
--
Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

How to configure X to PseudoColor for creating a private colormap?

Post by Per Erik Nordb » Wed, 08 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Some UNIX hardware also supports 12 or 16 bit PseudoColor.
> You are correct that PC X servers generally support only 8 or 24 and not
> both simultaneously.  I think XFree never supports more than one depth
> simultaneously, but some commercial X servers may (if your hardware is
> capable).

If I am not totally wrong, the pre-release notes about the the upcoming XFree86-4.0
indicates that 8 bit pseudo color & 24 bit true color will work simultaneously on
'some' graphics cards. I think the support for 8 bit pseudo in 4.0 will be physical
8 bit support, not 8-bit pseudocolor emulation which is used in some X Servers on
Windows NT/98 when running the X server i dual 8/24 mode.

regards
per erik

Quote:> --
> Ken Lee, http://www.rahul.net/kenton/

--
Per Erik Nordb?
Christian Michelsen Research http://www.cmr.no
P.O.Box 6031, N-5892 BERGEN, Norway

  pererik.vcf
< 1K Download

1. netscape and private colormaps

running solaris 2.5 x86 NS Communicator 4.0b5.  if i choose the -install
option to have netscape load a private colormap, horrifying color changes
take place on the rest of the CDE until NS is minimized and then my CDE
colors are restored.  it's not a big deal, just curious as to why this
might happen.

thanks,
steve doliov

2. INTEL PRO/100 VE

3. X and Private Colormaps

4. Portable Ext USB HDD Recommendations ?

5. Private Colormaps and color sharing...Whoops forgot the subject before

6. ADSL and Linux

7. Private Colormap

8. Linux and RAM

9. Help with Private Colormap and Color Allocation

10. XView CMS and private colormaps

11. Private colormap in XFree86-3.1.2D

12. Metro-X, create a pseudoColor visual?

13. X11 and Colormaps ... how to use my own Colormap?