qt animation

qt animation

Post by Studen » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 22:22:11



Hi,

How do you make animations (quick time for instance) from still images?
(separated gif, or an animated gif for that matter). With linux tools, of
course. That's meant to be used in a Power Point presentation in the end
(not linux anymore I'm afraid!)

Cheers.

 
 
 

qt animation

Post by Dances With Crow » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:07:27


On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:22:11 +0200, Student staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> How do you make animations (quick time for instance) from still
> images?  (separated gif, or an animated gif for that matter). With
> linux tools, of course.

mencoder, kind of like so:

mencoder \*.jpg -mf on:fps=25 -o output.avi -ovc divx4

This will encode all the .jpg files in the current directory into output
file output.avi , at 25 FPS, with the DiVX;-)4 codec.  For a list of
supported output codecs, do "mencoder -ovc help".  mencoder is included
with mplayer (a very good video player.)  mencoder doesn't do GIF, but
you can use convert kind of like so to convert GIF into JPEG:

for FILE in *.gif ; do
   NEWFILE=`echo $FILE | sed -e 's/gif/jpg/' `
   convert $FILE $NEWFILE
   done

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

 
 
 

qt animation

Post by Studen » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 23:14:30


Unfortunatly this does not install under Debian (my distro). I tried
unofficial packages but they depend on scores of stuff that *can't* be
installed either! Is there not a more standard way?

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:22:11 +0200, Student staggered into the Black Sun
> and said:
>> How do you make animations (quick time for instance) from still
>> images?  (separated gif, or an animated gif for that matter). With
>> linux tools, of course.

> mencoder, kind of like so:

> mencoder \*.jpg -mf on:fps=25 -o output.avi -ovc divx4

> This will encode all the .jpg files in the current directory into output
> file output.avi , at 25 FPS, with the DiVX;-)4 codec.  For a list of
> supported output codecs, do "mencoder -ovc help".  mencoder is included
> with mplayer (a very good video player.)  mencoder doesn't do GIF, but
> you can use convert kind of like so to convert GIF into JPEG:

> for FILE in *.gif ; do
>    NEWFILE=`echo $FILE | sed -e 's/gif/jpg/' `
>    convert $FILE $NEWFILE
>    done

 
 
 

qt animation

Post by Studen » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:04:01



> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:14:30 +0200, Student staggered into the Black Sun
> and said:

> Please don't top-post.  Message rearranged to comply with Usenet
> conventions.

Which Usenet conventions? In this case I have no specific reply point to
point to your text, in fact I could even have dropped it. But I know how
boring it is to find in google an answer... where there is no question, so
I prefer to append it at the end. Sorry if that's contrary to Usenet
convention... but you see when it's relevant I use the nice convention :)

Quote:> What, "apt-get install mplayer" didn't work?  Bizarre.  They're usually
> very good about keeping up to date with popular packages.

I don't find so! On the converse I find them usually very poor in keeping
things up to date!

Quote:> Are you
> trying to use "stable"?  Don't.  "unstable" is far more suitable for
> workstation use.

Well, I tried that also.

Quote:>> I tried unofficial packages but they depend on scores of stuff that
>> *can't* be installed either!

> *Can't*?  Er.  I'm looking at the Gentoo ebuild of mplayer 0.90rc5, and
> it looks like it depends on the following:

Okay, here's what I get:

Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
  mencoder-686: Depends: libasound2 (>= 0.9.0beta10a-1) but it is not going
to be installed
                Depends: libdvdnav1 (>= 0.1.3) but it is not installable
                Depends: libdvdread2 but it is not going to be installed
                Depends: liblame0 (>= 3.93-0.0) but it is not installable
                Depends: liblircclient0 but it is not going to be installed
                Depends: liblzo1 but it is not going to be installed
                Depends: libmad0 (>= 0.14.2b) but it is not going to be
installed
                Depends: libpostproc0 but it is not installable
                Depends: libxvidencore0 but it is not installable

I'm lucky if I have not broken my distribution ;)

 
 
 

qt animation

Post by Dances With Crow » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:25:06


On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:04:01 +0200, Student staggered into the Black Sun
and said:


>> Please don't top-post.  Message rearranged to comply with Usenet
>> conventions.
> Which Usenet conventions?

The one against top-posting.  Short form:

A. NO!
Q. Should I top-post?

Quote:>> What, "apt-get install mplayer" didn't work?  Bizarre.  They're
>> usually very good about keeping up to date with popular packages.
> I don't find so! On the converse I find them usually very poor in
> keeping things up to date!

Complain to the maintainers?  Or switch to Gentoo--they're very
aggressive in keeping things up to date.  "emerge mplayer" works great
and has always worked as long as there have been mplayer ebuilds AFAIK.

Quote:> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   mencoder-686:
>    Depends: libasound2 (>= 0.9.0beta10a-1) but it is not going
>              to be installed
>    Depends: libdvdnav1 (>= 0.1.3) but it is not installable
>    Depends: libdvdread2 but it is not going to be installed
>    Depends: liblame0 (>= 3.93-0.0) but it is not installable
>    Depends: liblircclient0 but it is not going to be installed
>    Depends: liblzo1 but it is not going to be installed
>    Depends: libmad0 (>= 0.14.2b) but it is not going to be installed
>    Depends: libpostproc0 but it is not installable
>    Depends: libxvidencore0 but it is not installable
> I'm lucky if I have not broken my distribution ;)

If something this simple can break Debian, I'd be surprised.  So, Google
on "mplayer debian install", and check out
http://www.princessleia.com/MPlayer.html , which contains detailed
instructions that should work much better than just using apt.  The "not
installable" packages are probably there for licensing reasons (dvdnav
requires libdvdcss, lame's legal status is not entirely certain.)

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

 
 
 

qt animation

Post by Studen » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:23:37



> The one against top-posting.  Short form:

> A. NO!
> Q. Should I top-post?

Is there actually a convention which forbids this? It is quite okay to
Reverse Polish Notation *s.

Quote:> Complain to the maintainers?  Or switch to Gentoo--they're very
> aggressive in keeping things up to date.  "emerge mplayer" works great
> and has always worked as long as there have been mplayer ebuilds AFAIK.

Switching from one version to another, or from stable to unstable, is
something I am warry of...

Quote:> http://www.veryComputer.com/, which contains detailed
> instructions that should work much better than just using apt.  The "not
> installable" packages are probably there for licensing reasons (dvdnav
> requires libdvdcss, lame's legal status is not entirely certain.)

Okay, that link was very useful, thanks. I managed to install it (although
I had some hard time with very annoying Debian message of the type "Sorry:
this package will not be installed" or "This exists in the database but it
is not installable").

What I create I can read only with mplayer however, neither with gtv or
xanim, and I sent one copy to a friend who cannot read it with Windows
either.

Anyway, thanks for your very kind help.

Regards.

 
 
 

qt animation

Post by Dances With Crow » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:33:48


On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 16:23:37 +0200, Student staggered into the Black Sun
and said:


>> The one against top-posting.  Short form:
>> A. NO!
>> Q. Should I top-post?
> Is there actually a convention which forbids this?

http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> It is quite okay to Reverse Polish Notation *s.

RPN English is not.

Quote:>> http://www.veryComputer.com/, which contains detailed
>> instructions that should work much better than just using apt.

> Okay, that link was very useful, thanks. I managed to install it
[snip]
> What I create I can read only with mplayer however, neither with gtv
> or xanim, and I sent one copy to a friend who cannot read it with
> Windows either.

xanim has not kept up with current video codecs; mplayer and xine have.
Don't know about gtv.  The DiVX[45] codecs are widely used when people
rip+encode DVDs or output from TV tuner cards because A) they compress
better than MPEG-1 at higher quality B) multipass encoding allows the
encoder to choose the final encoded file size pretty accurately.  It
should be easy to play DiVX[45] files on 'Doze provided the appropriate
codecs or appropriate video player are installed.  I forget exactly what
these are; Google "DiVX player Windows" for more info.

"mencoder -ovc help" tells you all the formats that mencoder can output.
If you really need MPEG-1, f'rexample, you can do:

mencoder *.jpg -o output.mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg1video:vhq:vbitrate=1000

...further info in the man page, or try Googling for "mencoder
tutorial".  HTH,

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.veryComputer.com/     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

 
 
 

qt animation

Post by Studen » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 05:43:08


I have eventually managed more or less to do what I intended. The quality
is not very good, there is some gargabe, but I guess this is because the
codecs I could make powerpoint work with are the worst ever. Anyway, I am
very grateful for your help, Dance with Crows. Your messages helped me in
all the various steps I needed, they were very clear and concise, and
informative. And funny too. So that was quite unexpectedly an actual
pleasure to go through all this stuff! Thanks again, and I promise, I will
not toppost anymore.

Warmest best regards.

 
 
 

qt animation

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 04:51:12


On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:43:08 +0200, Student staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> I have eventually managed more or less to do what I intended. The
> quality is not very good, there is some gargabe, but I guess this is
> because the codecs I could make powerpoint work with are the worst
> ever.

Hmm... most of what I found about mencoder relates to DiVX;-) encoding,
but apparently you can encode to Sorenson Quicktime V1 with -vo qtvideo
.  This may provide better quality and should be supported.  Also, if
the original images are JPEGs, they've already been compressed with a
lossy format, and the encoding process applies further lossy
compression, creating artifacts.  If the initial images are available in
something lossless (PNG?) you can try encoding those; there should be
fewer artifacts.  Also, fiddle with the vbitrate= setting if you're
encoding using MPEG-1... the 1000 was just an example; higher bitrates
should provide better quality at the expense of a larger file.

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL