ThinkPad A30 Problems w/ X

Post by JankyBo » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 07:33:46

I'm using a ThinkPad A30 with the ATI Mobility Radeon.  I am using Redhat 7.2 and kernel 2.4.17.  I have installed XFree86 4.2.0.  I have compiled the radeon and agpgart modules into the kernel.

When using the "ati" driver in my XF86Config-4 file, X will not work.  The display starts up all distorted.  If I switch to the "vesa" driver it will work fine.

I thought it might have had something to do with the agpgart.o module not loading.  Upon attempting to load it manually, it says it can't find the device.  Looking at dmesg it states that it detects the Intel 830 board but it is not supported.  I went out to Intel's website to see if they had any fix.  They recommended using the "vesa" driver until XFree86 4.2.0 comes out.  Well...it's out and I am pulling my hair out trying to get this laptop to work correctly.  Any idea to get it to work with the "ati" driver?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ThinkPad A30 Problems w/ X

Post by Kenny Qili Zh » Mon, 28 Jan 2002 11:40:48

> I'm using a ThinkPad A30 with the ATI Mobility Radeon.  I am using Redhat 7.2 and kernel 2.4.17.  I have installed XFree86 4.2.0.  I have compiled the radeon and agpgart modules into the kernel.
> When using the "ati" driver in my XF86Config-4 file, X will not work.  The display starts up all distorted.  If I switch to the "vesa" driver it will work fine.
> I thought it might have had something to do with the agpgart.o module not loading.  Upon attempting to load it manually, it says it can't find the device.  Looking at dmesg it states that it detects the Intel 830 board but it is not supported.  I went out to Intel's website to see if they had any fix.  They recommended using the "vesa" driver until XFree86 4.2.0 comes out.  Well...it's out and I am pulling my hair out trying to get this laptop to work correctly.  Any idea to get it to work with the "ati"

 driver?

Quote:> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,

I have a  A30P which uses the same chipset. I'm using Slackware 8.0 with Xfree86 4.2.0. Same problem with yours. But if I change my XF86Config to using "vesa", I get a very low resolution screen with strips, too. So what I do now is to use noaccel. That works with ati driver but it's slow as a dog. I also appreciate any help!

Kenny

ThinkPad A30 Problems w/ X

Post by Martin Kolle » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 03:53:29

I had the same problem. it was due to some setting in the kernel .config
file (where two chipsets were configured as modules, and it seems
the kernel used the wrong one .... I think).
Finally I solved it.

See: http://members.surfeu.at/m.koller/IBM-Thinkpad-A30-RedHat7.2.html

Martin

> > I'm using a ThinkPad A30 with the ATI Mobility Radeon.  I am using

Redhat 7.2 and kernel 2.4.17.  I have installed XFree86 4.2.0.  I have
compiled the radeon and agpgart modules into the kernel.
Quote:

> > When using the "ati" driver in my XF86Config-4 file, X will not work.

The display starts up all distorted.  If I switch to the "vesa" driver it
will work fine.
Quote:

> > I thought it might have had something to do with the agpgart.o module

not loading.  Upon attempting to load it manually, it says it can't find the
device.  Looking at dmesg it states that it detects the Intel 830 board but
it is not supported.  I went out to Intel's website to see if they had any
fix.  They recommended using the "vesa" driver until XFree86 4.2.0 comes
out.  Well...it's out and I am pulling my hair out trying to get this laptop
to work correctly.  Any idea to get it to work with the "ati"
Quote:>  driver?

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks,

> I have a  A30P which uses the same chipset. I'm using Slackware 8.0 with

Xfree86 4.2.0. Same problem with yours. But if I change my XF86Config to
using "vesa", I get a very low resolution screen with strips, too. So what I
do now is to use noaccel. That works with ati driver but it's slow as a dog.
I also appreciate any help!
Quote:

> Kenny

ThinkPad A30 Problems w/ X

Post by JankyBo » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 01:27:49

Thanks!  Worked like a champ!

1. SOLVED: Thinkpad A30 Suspend Hibernate dual-boot APM Problems

Hello all

Let me share my experience of how I fixed my Thinkpad's suspend and
hibernate functions.

I've got a Thinkpad A30 with Win98 SE which I've had to rebuild three times
now.  The problem was with the Suspend (Fn + F4) and Hibernate (Fn + F12)
commands that stopped working.  In addition, in Device Manager, the Advanced
Power Management support device in System Devices had a small yellow (!)
exclamation mark, with the details "This device is not working properly -
Code 10".  The BatteryMeter on the Start Bar either showed 0% battery life,
or 100%.  Even when plugged into the mains, the meter says I'm running on
batteries.

My system was previously dual-boot, with RedHat 7.2 installed and GRUB, the
RedHat 7.2 boot loader, switching between Linux and W98.

After reinstalling everything from the IBM Product Recovery program on the
hidden partition on the hard disk, I was tinkering with GRUB running from a
floppy disk.  I changed the active partition using GRUB's 'makeactive'
command after changing the root using the command 'rootnoverify (hd0,1)'.
These commands tell GRUB to switch partitions on the hard disk.  I then
changed back to my Windows 98 partition and made it active.  No problems so
far... Windows 98 booted up as expected, but I discovered the problems
outlined in the previous paragraph.

Changing partitions or adjusting the partition table seems to upset
PhDiskWin, the IBM-installed utility that allows Fn + F12 to respond and
hibernate the system.  You need to delete the file that PhDiskWin uses to
hibernate.  It then creates a new one on the next boot, and Suspend and
Hibernate work again, and the Battery Meter displays correct information.

Make sure your work is saved and no applications are running.

First thing to do is download and install the latest TP Configuration
utility from www.tpdrivers.com.  The latest version is dated late January
2002.

Delete the hibernation file by going to

Start Menu |Settings | Control Panel | Power Management

From the "Hibernation" tab, click the "Disable Hibernation" button.  You
should see a pie chart with a bright green slice indicating the hibernation
file.  Click the "Delete" button, and the green slice will disappear.

Click the "Close" button, and a message box should appear saying "Click OK
to restart the computer".  Click OK and the computer will restart.

On booting, PhDiskWin will create a new hibernation file, then automatically
restarts the computer again.

The next boot should start Windows 98 with Hibernate, Suspend and the
Battery Meter all working again!

Hope that helps.  Best wishes, AK

2. smooth fonts under X

3. redhat 7.2 on thinkpad a30 boot problem

4. Need info on WORM filesystems

5. insmod problems

6. Linux on ThinkPad A30

7. Advanced Unix Administrator, Solaris, Web, SAS - $$$.

8. Linux dual boot, IBM Thinkpad A30 2nd hard disk

9. thinkpad a30 boot on disk2 fails

10. redhat 7.2 on thinkpad a30 wont boot

11. Sound Driver For Thinkpad A30 w/RedHat 7.1

12. Netgear MA401 on Thinkpad A30 with Redhat 8.0