server failed cannot find font : 'fixed'

Post by Reid D Rivenburg » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

 >> mike curran writes:

 > Does anyone know why this message occurs? I have a good working
 > install, yet it does not want to run any X windows at all. I get
 > the subject line error message when trying to start X or startx(for
 > afterstep) and it just stops loading.

Does your startx output have a line that reports the FontPath it's
using?  Something like:

  (**) FontPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/, ..."

Do you have a line like

  FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"

in your XF86Config file (which is in /etc or /etc/X11)?  Do you have a
line like

  fixed        -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1

in the fonts.alias file in that directory, or any of your FontPath
directories?

Just some things to check....

Reid

Post by Ed Shafe » Sun, 18 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Does anyone know why this message occurs? I have a good working install, yet
> it does not want to run any X windows at all. I get the subject line error
> message when trying to start X or startx(for afterstep) and it just stops

If you just installed xfstt for truetype fonts, you will get this
message if you fail to start xfstt before X. I know because I did just
that! In my case I added the line /usr/X11/bin/xfstt & to
/etc/rc.d/rc.local

1. HELP!! -- Cannot find default font 'fixed'

Fonts reside under /usr/lib/X11/fonts (which is a link to /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts
I believe).  Under here you should have three or more directories, misc, 75dpi
and 100dpi (depending on the fonts which you installed).  If you don't have
these (esp. misc and 75dpi which are really the minimum) then go back and
get them (they're on the X installation disks).  In each directory you could
try running mkfontdir - this sets up the directory for use by X. This should
be done by the installation but may not be.  Next, check your XF86Config
file in /usr/lib/X11.  This should have some lines talking about fontpaths.
Make sure that these are not commented out and point to the correct
directories, ie a list of three or so.

Charlie

BTW: Dunno what you did with the fonts.alias file but you may want to change
it back once misc starts working.

2. SCO drivers for Sound Blaster IDE card

3. X won't start "could not find font 'fixed'"

4. unable to mount drive

5. Fatal server error: couldn't open default font 'fixed'

6. New logo code (fwd)

7. startx => Fatal server error => couldn't open default font 'fixed'

8. Displaying Gifs

9. Cannot fint font 'fixed' ????

10. failed to set default font 'fixed'

11. Xsetup (wd9024a2 chipset) fails; why??; 'default fixed font' error

12. XFree86 3.3.6 reporting 'authentication failed' cannot start x server'

13. default font 'fixed' not found