Problem with my Xserver.

Post by Tom Hal » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm new to linux, so I'm sorry if I get any of the jargon wrong! I am
(was!) running a RedHat 5.1 installation on Linux. Yesterday I tried to
upgrade my Xserver(which was working before, but only with the generic
vga xserver) so that I could get support for my Rendition Verite 1000
graphics card. Now this seemed like it would be fairly simple, and this
is what I did:

1. downloaded XFree86-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm from the Redhat ftp site

2. ran rpm -i on both the above files.

3. ran xf86config, which gave new options and showed it supported my
graphics card.

But afterwards when I ran start, I got the following error and X didn't
start:

execve failed for /etc/X11/X (errno 2)
-X11transSocketUNIXconnect:Can't Connect:errno. 111

Xinit:connection refused (errno. 111): unable to connect to Xserver
Xinit:no such process (errno 3) server error.

Now after doing this I looked in /usr/X11R6/bin and noticed that
although there was a link to XFree86_SVGA from X. the file XFree86_SVGA
was missing. So then I downloaded XFree86-SVGA-3.3.3.1-1.i386.rpm and
ran rpn -i on it.

but when I tried to run startx I got the same error as before.

any ideas anyone ?

thanks inadvance
--
tom

Problem with my Xserver.

Post by Matthias Zeichman » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> any ideas anyone ?

yes

you will need this as well:

XFree86-libs-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm