New SIMM causes flickering?

Post by Adrian L. Hose » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I popped a new SIMM in my machine last night, going from 8 to 16
megs. Now I'm getting a "flickering" or "crackling" effect in X - ugly
horizontal breaks in the screen at random moments. I've seen the exact
same thing before, but in MS-Windows when I was running at too high of
a resolution. X has never done this before, and I _promise_ the only
change was this new SIMM. The machine is an AMD-486 with a CLGD-5428
(1 meg VRAM). It runs kernel 1.2.13 and XFree86 3.1.2, using the
standard SVGA server at 800x600.

Thanks,

        - A
--
It's a Zen thing. You already understand.

New SIMM causes flickering?

Post by Joel M. Hoffm » Tue, 19 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I popped a new SIMM in my machine last night, going from 8 to 16
>megs. Now I'm getting a "flickering" or "crackling" effect in X - ugly
>horizontal breaks in the screen at random moments. I've seen the exact
>same thing before, but in MS-Windows when I was running at too high of
>a resolution. X has never done this before, and I _promise_ the only
>change was this new SIMM. The machine is an AMD-486 with a CLGD-5428
>(1 meg VRAM). It runs kernel 1.2.13 and XFree86 3.1.2, using the
>standard SVGA server at 800x600.

It sounds like the new memory is too slow.  If the memory is slow, it
may take a moment (say, one extra clock cycle) for the memory that
contains the informatino to be displayed to be accessed, causing a
flicker.  (Yes, that sentence makes sense; read it again.)

-Joel

|_|~~ Germany, Europe. 1940's   "The diameter of the bomb was 30 centimeters,
__|~| 16 Million DEAD.           and the diameter of its destruction, about 7
                                meters, and in it four killed and 11 wounded.
 cnc  Bosnia, Europe. 1990's    And around these, in a larger circle of  pain
 cnc  HOW MANY MORE?          and time,  are scattered two  hospitals and one
                          cemetery.   But the young woman who was  buried  in
                    the place from where she came, at a distance of more than
             than 100 kilometers, enlarges the circle considerably.   And the
      lonely man who is mourning her death in a distant  country incorporates
into the circle the whole world.  And I won't speak of the cry of the orphans
that reaches God's chair and from there makes the circle endless and godless."

New SIMM causes flickering?

Post by Matt Lundbe » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I popped a new SIMM in my machine last night, going from 8 to 16
>megs. Now I'm getting a "flickering" or "crackling" effect in X - ugly
>horizontal breaks in the screen at random moments. I've seen the exact
>same thing before, but in MS-Windows when I was running at too high of
>a resolution. X has never done this before, and I _promise_ the only
>change was this new SIMM. The machine is an AMD-486 with a CLGD-5428
>(1 meg VRAM). It runs kernel 1.2.13 and XFree86 3.1.2, using the
>standard SVGA server at 800x600.

I'm guessing that this is a VLB board, and if so, I've seen this
before.  Your 5428 will map to the area of memory that would reside
between 12 and 16M.  If this is the problem, I'm surprised that it
works at all.  The machine that failed for me failed by spontaneousely
rebooting.  There is a nice readme file for the Cirrus cards.  Look
at /usr/X11/lib/X11/doc/README.cirrus.  You need to turn the "linear"
option off.

New SIMM causes flickering?

Post by 100331.2.. » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

:
: I popped a new SIMM in my machine last night, going from 8 to 16
: megs. Now I'm getting a "flickering" or "crackling" effect in X - ugly

< snip >

Try Option "fast_dram" , "med_dram" or "slow_dram" in you're XF86Config
file. "fast_dram" did the trick for me.
See a file called "README.cirrus" somewhere in the docs.

Regards Friedhelm

1. Monitor flicker, caused by video card or monitor?

I've posted about this before. I used to think it was related to SuSE, but
a while back I installed Windows and my machine did the same thing.
Basically what it does is it subtly turns a little darker for a brief
second then goes back to normal. It happens randomly and it's extremely
annoying. I have an NEC CRT 17" monitor. Only like a year and a half old.
It's getting really old, though, and I'm not sure what to do.

Part of me wants to replace the monitor. But then another part of me says
that it could be the video card. I once tried to install Fedora Core 3 and
it wouldn't install. ALWAYS got hung up on configuring X. That seems like
a video card problem. Thoughts?

Preston

2. testing

3. How to identify which SIMM slot for defective SIMM?

4. Where can i find linux technical information? - techni~1.req (1/1)

5. 36 bit SIMMS vs 32 bit SIMMS

6. Need help on /dev/kmem

7. SIMM or DIMM? SIMM and DIMM?

8. authentication problem - mayday

9. New install: booting kernel causes laptop to restart

10. New: Raid-0 causes kernel BUG at drivers/block/ll_rw_blk.c:1996

11. New Stealth S3964 Revision Causing Noise on X

12. New: typo in ipmi_devintf.c causes kernel compile to fail

13. New: Removal of USB flash drive causes oops in khupd