Red hat 5.0, Libc 5.4.44 and Staroffice 4.0 SP3

Red hat 5.0, Libc 5.4.44 and Staroffice 4.0 SP3

Post by Richard Franke » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi ;)

Finally I got the 52 Mb download on my machine, took me only 5.5 hours : )

I also donwloaded a bin version of Libc 5.4.44 (I'm pretty new at this),
since RH5.0 comes with the libc 6.0 which doesn't work with StarOffice...

Anyway, I untarred the Libc, copied the files to the places where they
belong (did I do that right?), ran the ldconfig without any paramaters and
stried to start the staroffice setup script...

it gives me the following message AFTER reading the setup.ins file:
Line 1: Syntax Error at token "I" expected declaration; ie file...
and then it quits on me....

Is there an error in the setup.ins file ? It starts with:

Installation INSTALLATION
  Defaultpaht="Staroffice40";
End

I have tried to edit thjis file, but it doesn't seem to work..

i also installed EVERY labrary and EVERY language I have on the CD just to
be on the safe side...

Does anyone how I can solve this, since I really want to abandon win95/98/NT
but I do need some sort of officae package..

Thank you very much in advance,

Richard Franken

Post by John Timmer » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Hi ;)

> Finally I got the 52 Mb download on my machine, took me only 5.5 hours : )

> I also donwloaded a bin version of Libc 5.4.44 (I'm pretty new at this),
> since RH5.0 comes with the libc 6.0 which doesn't work with StarOffice...

> it gives me the following message AFTER reading the setup.ins file:
> Line 1: Syntax Error at token "I" expected declaration; ie file...
> and then it quits on me....

> Is there an error in the setup.ins file ? It starts with:

> Installation INSTALLATION
>   Defaultpaht="Staroffice40";
> End

> i also installed EVERY labrary and EVERY language I have on the CD just to
> be on the safe side...

> Does anyone how I can solve this, since I really want to abandon win95/98/NT
> but I do need some sort of officae package..

I hate to see you do all that downloading, and have these problems.  I
hope you took time out during that long download, and had a beer and
watched a football game (world cup coming soon, ya!!) or something.
Anyway, check out this page;

http://www.waldherr.org/soffice/

...and you'll find what you need to do to get SO4 to run with RH5.

--
Regards

Selfish Website   http://mindlink.bc.ca/john_timmers

Post by Jim Zub » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> > Hi ;)

> > Finally I got the 52 Mb download on my machine, took me only 5.5 hours : )

> > I also donwloaded a bin version of Libc 5.4.44 (I'm pretty new at this),
> > since RH5.0 comes with the libc 6.0 which doesn't work with StarOffice...

> > it gives me the following message AFTER reading the setup.ins file:
> > Line 1: Syntax Error at token "I" expected declaration; ie file...
> > and then it quits on me....

> > Is there an error in the setup.ins file ? It starts with:

> > Installation INSTALLATION
> >   Defaultpaht="Staroffice40";
> > End

> > i also installed EVERY labrary and EVERY language I have on the CD just to
> > be on the safe side...

> > Does anyone how I can solve this, since I really want to abandon win95/98/NT
> > but I do need some sort of officae package..

> I hate to see you do all that downloading, and have these problems.  I
> hope you took time out during that long download, and had a beer and
> watched a football game (world cup coming soon, ya!!) or something.
> Anyway, check out this page;

> http://www.waldherr.org/soffice/

Here is a good question.  Why on earth does RH 5 come with such an old versionof
libc.5?

Anyways, I was able to install SO after installing lib.5.4.44 into
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
and updating the link of libc.so.5 to the 5.4.44 binary.

I also installed the new libm that came with the libc (5.0.9), not sure
if you need this.

Everything ran fine.

--
Jim Zubb

Red hat 5.0, Libc 5.4.44 and Staroffice 4.0 SP3

Post by Richard Franke » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

john,

Quote:>http://www.waldherr.org/soffice/

>...and you'll find what you need to do to get SO4 to run with RH5.

thanx a lot!!! That trick dit it !
thanx again !

Richard

Red hat 5.0, Libc 5.4.44 and Staroffice 4.0 SP3

Post by Richard Franke » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Ji,

Quote:>> > I also donwloaded a bin version of Libc 5.4.44 (I'm pretty new at
this),
>> > since RH5.0 comes with the libc 6.0 which doesn't work with

StarOffice...

Quote:>Here is a good question.  Why on earth does RH 5 come with such an old
>versionof libc.5?

It doesnn't : ) it comes with a libc 6. ?? But SO40 doesn't work with a 6.x
version (as far as I know that is). Therefore I DL-ed the 5.4.44 in the hope
it worked. It didn't : ( But the tips and tricks I found on the given page
worked flawlessly..

Quote:>Anyways, I was able to install SO after installing lib.5.4.44 into
>/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
>and updating the link of libc.so.5 to the 5.4.44 binary.

This one I will try next time, when I will reinstall Linux (need the
experience in this area as well, since I hardly have got a clue what I am
doing so far).

Quote:>I also installed the new libm that came with the libc (5.0.9), not sure
>if you need this.

I'll try it with and without : )

Richard Franken
Again, thanx for all the replies!

Post by Jim Zub » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Ji,

> this),
> StarOffice...

> >Here is a good question.  Why on earth does RH 5 come with such an old
> >versionof libc.5?
> It doesnn't : ) it comes with a libc 6. ?? But SO40 doesn't work with a 6.x
> version (as far as I know that is). Therefore I DL-ed the 5.4.44 in the hope

Yeah, but it comes with a libc.5.3.12 or something for compatibility.  Why
don'tthey just supply the 5.4.44 version?  Is there any problem with using the
newer
libc.5 with libc.6?

--
Jim Zubb

1. HELP: Libc 5.4.44 undefined symbols

I just downloaded the source to libc
5.4.44
and while it compiled ok, I keep getting these errors when I compile other
programs that link to the new libc:

/usr/lib/libc.so: undefined reference to `__stop___libc_subinit'
/usr/lib/libc.so: undefined reference to `__start___libc_subinit'

In fact as soon as the library gets installed, I keep getting the above
messages:
undefined reference to `__stop___libc_subinit'
undefined reference to `__start___libc_subinit'

and nothing works.  I have to reboot with an emergency diskette
and point the libc.so.5 symbolic link back to libc.so.5.4.38

I ran nm -n on the new libc
and I see the symbols for the said routines,

         U __start___libc_subinit
         U __stop___libc_subinit
00016ab0 ? _init
00019cd0 t __do_global_dtors_aux
00019cd0 t gcc2_compiled.
00019d00 t fini_dummy
00019d10 T __assert_perror_fail
00019db4 T __assert_fail
00019e50 t set_progname
00019e98 T setenv
[snip]

Any ideas what is wrong?  I compiled virgin sources that I got from
sunsite, followed the instructions, RTFMd, but I can't find a solution to
this.

PS.  I checked precompiled binaries, and these don't have the problem.
     I do have binutils-2.8.1.0.15 installed.

Martin

Martin Imrisek         "I've done . . . questionable things.

                          wouldn't let you into heaven for."

2. How to use Alt-Ctrl-Keypad Keys under X11?

3. libc 5.4.44 installation problems

4. ViewSonic PS790 anyone use it with linux?

5. kernel 2.1.98 and libc 5.4.44

6. ppp & the Mach Kernel

7. libc 5.4.44: missing argz.h

8. Wangdat tape drive

9. Trying to install libc.so.5.4.44 (long)

10. Odd scandir behaviour; libc.so.5.4.44

11. Problems with libc.so.5.4.44

12. Can't build libc 5.4.44, missing stddef.h

13. compiling 2.2.x with egcs and libc.so.5.4.44