Using Multible Mice

Post by Canne » Fri, 19 Jul 2002 15:36:29

Is there a way to configure X to use multible mice at the same time?  I run
a laptop and I want it to be able to use my built in mouse as the
"CorePointer" and my external USB mouse as a secondary mouse...  Is this
possible?  I know how to get them both working independently, I'm just not
sure how to change the ServerConfiguration to support them both
simultaneously...  I'm not even sure it's possible...

Thanks for your advice.

Using Multible Mice

Post by Geoff Fiel » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 10:34:38

Quote:> Is there a way to configure X to use multible mice at the same time?  I
run
> a laptop and I want it to be able to use my built in mouse as the
> "CorePointer" and my external USB mouse as a secondary mouse...  Is this
> possible?  I know how to get them both working independently, I'm just not
> sure how to change the ServerConfiguration to support them both
> simultaneously...  I'm not even sure it's possible...

I've been trying to solve a very similar challenge lately.  My googling has
turned
up the following useful links:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3100/1
http://www.nobell.org/~gjm/linux/x.html
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/4563/2001/6/0/6079373
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0111.1/1388.html
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=642869+0+archive/2000/fr...
uestions/20000924.freebsd-questions

Quote:> Thanks for your advice.

I hope at least one of these helps you.
So far, the very little time I've spent working on it hasn't resolved the
issue.
One of these days I'll get around to reading it all properly and resolving
it
when it pops up to the top of the priority stack.

Geoff

--
Geoff Field,    Professional geek, amateur stage-levelling gauge.

au
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California; do not send
unsolicited bulk or commercial e-mail to my suespammers.org address

Using Multible Mice

Post by Canne » Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:49:56

I figured it out, and it works as follows.  You will have two device
entries, Mouse1 and Mouse2.  Then, in your ServerLayout section, the primary
mouse (the one that will always be there) get's the "CorePointer" tag while
the second mouse get's the "SendCoreEvents" tag.

That should do it.

> > Is there a way to configure X to use multible mice at the same time?  I
> run
> > a laptop and I want it to be able to use my built in mouse as the
> > "CorePointer" and my external USB mouse as a secondary mouse...  Is this
> > possible?  I know how to get them both working independently, I'm just
not
> > sure how to change the ServerConfiguration to support them both
> > simultaneously...  I'm not even sure it's possible...

> I've been trying to solve a very similar challenge lately.  My googling
has
> turned
> up the following useful links:

> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3100/1
> http://www.nobell.org/~gjm/linux/x.html
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/4563/2001/6/0/6079373
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0111.1/1388.html

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=642869+0+archive/2000/fr...

> uestions/20000924.freebsd-questions

> > Thanks for your advice.

> I hope at least one of these helps you.
> So far, the very little time I've spent working on it hasn't resolved the
> issue.
> One of these days I'll get around to reading it all properly and resolving
> it
> when it pops up to the top of the priority stack.

> Geoff

> --
> Geoff Field,    Professional geek, amateur stage-levelling gauge.

> au
> The suespammers.org mail server is located in California; do not send
> unsolicited bulk or commercial e-mail to my suespammers.org address

1. Any real world successes using multible PPPlines/EQL balancing?

As there seems little ( or no ) traffic re EQL I thought I'd ask.

Does it work well in the real world and is it a sufficient gain to offset
potential difficulties.

My scenario: I'm limited to dialup access between corporate main-site and
site-1 LAN.
Currently using PPP and 2 Linux machines acting as PPP Server and local
gateway. We have control over both ends, i.e. no ISP involved in this setup.

I'd like to increase total bandwith so that everyone on the site-1 LAN
benefits. If EQL is indeed efficient and mature enough to use instead of
using a seperate peer to peer dial-up for power users at site-1 I'd be a
happy camper.

Would I be correct in assuming that if 2 lines are used with EQL and one of
them goes down that the link would still stay active on the remaining line
therby giving some built-in redundancy?

Any comments, suggestions, en or dis-couragment appreciated.

TIA - Heinz

2. FS: Motorola Yellowknife 603e X4 CHRP Box

3. SUN's mouse used for PC PS/2 mouse port ??

4. Newbie just trying to get network card online

5. Q: Two mouse pointers using two mice possible in X, possible?

6. URL rewrite on served output

7. using a 3 button mouse on a PS/2 mouse port

8. Anyone remember VP/ix? Please help.

9. Using Logitech 3 button mouse, as a Logitech 3 button mouse.

10. Determining whether USB mouse is plugged in ./ Using two mice

11. Telling if USB mouse is plugged in / Using two mice

12. Using a Serial mouse when a PS/2 mouse port exists in the system

13. Middle mouse button acts wierd! Using Logitech mouse