help with tcl7.5 tk4.1

Post by Shane Wilso » Sun, 07 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I'm want to use Tkgoodstuff, to use it with color icons I need to
compile tcl7.5 and tk4.1 and use xpmwish4.1 with to use the previous
are needed.  Well I can't get it to compile on Linux kernal 1.2.13
tcl7.5 stops compiling say something like dld.h file cannot befound?

of course tk can't compile without tcl....

help!

Thanks

Shane

Any lack of needed info is due to my own stupidity!

help with tcl7.5 tk4.1

Post by Bernie Borenstei » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I'm want to use Tkgoodstuff, to use it with color icons I need to
> compile tcl7.5 and tk4.1 and use xpmwish4.1 with to use the previous
> are needed.  Well I can't get it to compile on Linux kernal 1.2.13
> tcl7.5 stops compiling say something like dld.h file cannot befound?

> of course tk can't compile without tcl....

> help!

> Thanks

> Shane

> Any lack of needed info is due to my own stupidity!

Shane :

   Just use xpmwish4.0 (which is what I use) and use the standard
Tk4.0 and tcl7.4 and everything is going to be okay.  If you have
an available FTP address, I can FTP it to you.  My xpmwish4.0
is a.out.

                              Bernie Borenstein

1. Need help with Tcl7.6/Tk4.2, gcc, FORTRAN/C/C++ shared libraries (LONG)

I have had an assortment of problems using shared libraries for dynamic
through. I have had to go through some real contortions to get things to
work. I am hoping that someone can give me a better, simpler way.

I am using gcc/g++/libg++ 2.7.2. SparcCompiler 3.0.1 for FORTRAN under Solaris
2.5.1.

I started having problems after I built a shared library for tree 4.1
(C++). When I tried "load libTkTree4.1.so" I got error messages about
unresolved symbols that were in libstdc++.

I searched dejanews and came up with the following answers:
1. Build libg++ as a shared library
2. When building shared libraries, don't call the linker directly. Use the
   compiler and pass the right flags to the linker.

I rebuilt Tcl/Tk and tree with these modifications. When I tried to load tree,
I still have unresolved symbols (__register_exceptions). This symbol is in
libgcc.a.

I believe the problem stems from the fact that the main interpreter was linked
with gcc  and that normal linking doesn't bring in symbols that aren't
needed/referenced.

In any event, after linking the main interpreter with g++, this problem
appeared to be solved. This might not have been necessary had I linked the
shared library with the main interpreter -- but that shouldn't be necessary.

Now, the situation becomes more complex. I also have a shared library with
several FORTRAN modules as well as a C module that is the interface between
Tcl/Tk and the FORTRAN code.

Again, when I try to load the FORTRAN, I get unresolved symbols. I was able to
get around part of it by linking libM77.so.2 and libI77.so.2 shared libraries
with my shared library. After this, I was still missing routines in
libsunmath.a. I couldn't link this with the shared library because of text
relocation errors.

Linking the main interpreter with libsunmath.a also had no effect (it didn't
bring in the required routines). I had to link the main interpreter with
libsunmath.a AND my FORTRAN shared library.

The final configuration is to use g++ to link that main interpreter and also
link in libsunmath.a and my FORTRAN shared library.

This seems like a lot of work to go through. It also seems to defeat the
purpose of shared libraries since I end up with all these dependencies that
are difficult to resolve. The linker seem to be "too smart" and it is
difficult to get it to do the right thing.

If anyone has hints or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
--

Senior System Analyst                         Engineous Software, Inc.

2. Advocate some graphics products?

3. How to: tcl7.5a1 and tk4.1a1 for Linux ELF

4. Setting up modems correctly

5. Compiling tcl7.4 and tk4.0 under LInux for ELF

6. Bass/Treble in Mixers Possible w/Soundblaster 16 PCI

7. When to get tcl7.6 and tk4.2 ?

8. 3Com 3CCFEM556B: Any hope for a driver soon?

9. tcl7.5, tk4.1, scotty-2.1.5, linux 2.0.22

10. problems compiling uudeview code with tcl7.5/tk4.1

11. tkgnuplot for tcl7.4/tk4.0/Tix4.0?

12. Linux-Makefile shared [Tcl7.4/Tk4.0]b4 libs, used by tclsh+wish

13. Tcl7.4/Tk4.0 extension a.out shared libraries