fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)

fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)

Post by Cynthia Jenes » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I downloaded the 3.3.3 binary for the XF86 Frame Buffer server from the
XFree86 site yesterday.  My Lilo boot uses code 791 which I believe
means 1024X768,16.  T
he screen section from my XF86Config file looks like this:

Section "Screen"
   Driver "FBDev"
   Device "Primary Card"
   Monitor "Primary Monitor"
   SubSection "Display"
             Modes   "default"
             Depth          16
   EndSubSection

This setup still works with the old XF68 Frame Buffer driver which I
downloaded from Anthony D'Amico's site.  However, with the new driver, I
always
get the following error whenever I "startx".

Fatal server error:
   fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)

I have also tried "792" in my Lilo boot and a Depth of 24.

Cynthia Jeness

fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)

Post by Cynthia Jenes » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I downloaded the 3.3.3 binary for the XF86 Frame Buffer server from the
> XFree86 site yesterday.  My Lilo boot uses code 791 which I believe
> means 1024X768,16.  T
> he screen section from my XF86Config file looks like this:

> Section "Screen"
>    Driver "FBDev"
>    Device "Primary Card"
>    Monitor "Primary Monitor"
>    SubSection "Display"
>              Modes   "default"
>              Depth          16
>    EndSubSection

> This setup still works with the old XF68 Frame Buffer driver which I
> downloaded from Anthony D'Amico's site.  However, with the new driver, I
> always
> get the following error whenever I "startx".

> Fatal server error:
>    fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)

> I have also tried "792" in my Lilo boot and a Depth of 24.

> Thanks,
> Cynthia Jeness

With some more experimentation, I determined that I needed to set the Depth
to 32.  Obviously, I do not understand the relationship between the numbers
in my Lilo boot and the Depth variable.  Please excuse my ignorance but I
am a recent convert from OS/2.   Can someone explain this or point me to
some documentation?  I have read the vesa mini How-to.

Thanks,
Cynthia Jeness

[ Attached Message ]

Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 08:29:07 -0500
Subject: fdbdevScreenInit Error
Anthony,

First, thank-you very much for the excellent instructions on how to set
up the Frame Buffer Server.  We followed these
instructions for our S3Trio3D card and things worked very well under the
2.1.132 kernel.  When the 2.2.0 kernel was released, we decided to
upgrade.  After that we would have regular server crashes.  Basically,
if the server was idle for an extended period, then it would crash when
you moved the mouse or touched a key.  Since the message on crashes
suggested getting a later XServer before reporting a problem, we decided
to get the 3.3.1 F86 Frame Buffer binary which is now available on the
XFree86 site.  However, when we try to start this server using the same
XF86Config which previously worked, we get the following error:

   fbdevScreenInit:  unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)

Our lilo params and XF86Config are given below.  Do you have any
suggestions?

Incidentally, your instructions are reference on the FAQ of this site.
This FAQ indicated that they were correct except they recommended
substituting the F86FB Server.  Based on what we have seen, there must
be some other change required.

Thanks,
Cynthia Jeness

Our lilo params look like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.0
        label=linux-22
        VGA=792
        root=/dev/hda1
        read-only

Here is our XF86Config file:Section "Files"

   RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection

Section "Keyboard"
   Protocol        "Standard"
   AutoRepeat      500 30
   LeftAlt         Meta
   RightAlt        Meta
   ScrollLock      Compose
   RightCtl        Control
   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "us(pc101)"
   XkbGeometry     "pc"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc104"
   XkbLayout       "us"
#   XkbDisable
EndSection

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "PS/2"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
#  Emulate3Timeout 50
#  Resolution      100
#  Buttons         3
#  Emulate3Buttons
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier      "Primary Monitor"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   ModelName       "Unknown"
   HorizSync       31.5-48.5
   VertRefresh     55-90
#   Modeline  "1024x768"   65.00 1024 1048 1192 1340 768 771 777 806
-hsync -vsync
   Modeline  "1024x768"   65 1024 1032 1176 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync
-vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "Primary Card"