Window Managers (part2) - Newbie Needs big help

Window Managers (part2) - Newbie Needs big help

Post by Robert H. Thompso » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Newbie Needs Big Help!

Anyone out there know anything about cutomizing the WindowMaker and
AfterStep window managers that come with RedHat 5.2. I have a computer
configured as a Linux server with a Win95 machine networked to it.

I have visited the WindowMaker and AfterStep sites and what they suggest
I don't have. Here's the deal I have setup four users with logins and
passwords. They are the root login (using AfterStep) my wife (no window
manager), my daughter (no window manager), myself (using WindowMaker)
and an experimental login (using WindowMaker). Each login has a home
directory with .bash_profile, .bash_errors, GNUstep directory,
.Xrootenv.0, tmp directory and netlogon directory. I would like to use
the experimental login to try and GNOME-mify WindowMaker and play with
some of the customization features until I get it the way I like.

Both WindowMaker and AfterStep documentation mention using .xinitrc,
.xsession and .profile that should exist in each of the users home
directory. These files do not exist if these are not created for the
users are they using some default? If so where is the default located?
(/etc or some such). If anyone out there has done this type of thing in
RedHat I'd greatly appreciate any help, tips, how-tos or advice that you
would be willing to share.

Rob Thompson
DBA
Ford Motor Company

Post by Tony Ty » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Newbie Needs Big Help!

> Anyone out there know anything about cutomizing the WindowMaker and
> AfterStep window managers that come with RedHat 5.2. I have a computer
> configured as a Linux server with a Win95 machine networked to it.

> I have visited the WindowMaker and AfterStep sites and what they suggest
> I don't have. Here's the deal I have setup four users with logins and
> passwords. They are the root login (using AfterStep) my wife (no window
> manager), my daughter (no window manager), myself (using WindowMaker)
> and an experimental login (using WindowMaker). Each login has a home
> directory with .bash_profile, .bash_errors, GNUstep directory,
> .Xrootenv.0, tmp directory and netlogon directory. I would like to use
> the experimental login to try and GNOME-mify WindowMaker and play with
> some of the customization features until I get it the way I like.

> Both WindowMaker and AfterStep documentation mention using .xinitrc,
> .xsession and .profile that should exist in each of the users home
> directory. These files do not exist if these are not created for the
> users are they using some default? If so where is the default located?
> (/etc or some such). If anyone out there has done this type of thing in
> RedHat I'd greatly appreciate any help, tips, how-tos or advice that you
> would be willing to share.

> Rob Thompson
> DBA
> Ford Motor Company

Yes, Linux keeps the configuration files in /etc. Look at /etc/profile for
the global profile settings. I'm not running Linux right now, and I don't
remember exactly the equivalents of .xinitrc and .xsession, but you should
find them with similar names in /etc somewhere. You can copy each of these
to each user's home directory (remember to add the dot at the beginning,
since the global files usually lack this), then modify it as you like.

Also take a look at the Config Howto at:
http://metalab.unc.edu/linux/HOWTO/Config-HOWTO.html

Good luck.
 --
Tony Tye

Please remove REMOVETHIS. from my address when replying. It's there for

Window Managers (part2) - Newbie Needs big help

Post by Charlie Fulto » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Both WindowMaker and AfterStep documentation mention using .xinitrc,
>.xsession and .profile that should exist in each of the users home
>directory. These files do not exist if these are not created for the
>users are they using some default? If so where is the default located?
>(/etc or some such).

Hello,

You can find xinitrc in : /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

and Xsession in : /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession

profile can be found in /etc/profile

And yes on x startup it will search first for these files in your home
directory, and if not found, use the defaults mentioned above. The only
difference being the "." in front of the file in a user's directory. Simply
copy the defaults into the user home directory.

have fun,

-Charlie.

p.s. when you can't find something, use the find command, eg. $ find / -name
"*initrc*" -print  this will print out the locations on the console. you can
place . for / and it will only search from the current directory
recursively.

1. Help Newbie! Switching window managers?

I am running KDE right now and to be honest, I have no idea really what
I'm doing. I just started linux a week ago. I want to try Gnome or Metro-X
or anything different from KDE! How do I switch the window manager???
Also, if anyone knows how to configure sound (w/o sndconfig) in the
PhatLinux distribution it would help also.
thanks in advance!

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

2. Linux server hangs

3. :::newbie-help::::::: windows managers

4. How involve to setup Linux with multiple mice?

5. Newbie Help: Getting a window manager...

6. Ghostscript desperation (god please help me!)

7. Window manager help (newbie)

8. kmem_alloc: Bad slab magic (corrupt)

9. NEWBIE:Big HELP needed please!

10. Newbie needs help big time!

11. big ignorant needs big help

12. Windows NT power user needs Window Manager with hotkeys for everything

13. how do you open other window managers in a window manager