Changing default color depth.

Post by Tom P Wa » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to get to 16-bit or 24-bit color in XWindows.  I tried
commenting out the 8-bit screen section in the XF86Config file, and on
startup it said it could not find the 8-bit color display and something
about that being the default mode.  How can I change the default mode to
16 or 24 bits?  Is there a file somewhere I missed?

-Tom

Changing default color depth.

Post by Brian Stempe » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Actually I would think the easiest way would be to just change the '8'
in XF86Config to '16', or '24', or maybe even '32'.  X11 needs some
value for default, so this should replace the default value.  Note
however that these values must be supported by your ramdac.  Anyway
this is what I did and it works fine for me.

Brian

Changing default color depth.

Post by Anttinen Roo » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I am trying to get to 16-bit or 24-bit color in XWindows.  I tried
> commenting out the 8-bit screen section in the XF86Config file, and on
> startup it said it could not find the 8-bit color display and something
> about that being the default mode.  How can I change the default mode to
> 16 or 24 bits?  Is there a file somewhere I missed?

startx -- -bpp 16

Quote:> -Tom

      p u h : 9 0   8 1 2   7 5 6 7 / 9 4 9   4 4 5   5 6 5
      a t k i . h e l b p . f i : 8080/~anttiner/index.html
Helsinki Business Polytechnic - Institute of information technology

Post by Don Dettk » Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to get to 16-bit or 24-bit color in XWindows.  I tried
>commenting out the 8-bit screen section in the XF86Config file, and on
>startup it said it could not find the 8-bit color display and something
>about that being the default mode.  How can I change the default mode to
>16 or 24 bits?  Is there a file somewhere I missed?

I made 16 the default depth for X by putting "X -bpp 16" in .xserverrc.

--
Don Dettke,  Software Engineering Consultant

1. Changing Default Color Depth in RH 6

How do you change the default color depth from 8 bpp to 16 bpp in RH 6.0 so
that when X starts up in runlevel 5, you get more colors?  I remember in RH
5.2 this used to be editing the /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file.  Has this
changed now that gnome is used?  Any help would be appreciaited.  Thanks!

Greg K.

2. Older AT&T unix help: which newsgroup?

3. Changing Default Color Depth w/ RH 6.0

4. AOLserver 3.0 for AIX?

5. Changing Default Color Depth in RH 6

6. SCO Targets NT, and How to Succeed

7. Changing Default X Color Depth w/3DFX

8. Device Driver for 3Com 3C507TP Ethernet Controller

9. Changing the default color depth...

10. Default colour depth in Xfree86..how to change when X starts automatically at boot?

11. Changing the default color depth in X ?

12. Question: How to change color depth (number of colors) on Solaris 8?

13. Default Color Depth