Full screen TV in X?

Post by Andrew Leah » Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:51:25

Hello,

I have a Hauppagge (sp?) card that I use to watch TV using xawtv.  xawtv has
a "full screen" mode that will put a reasonably-sized picture in the middle
of a black background.  But it's generally much smaller than the entire
screen.  Aside from manually tweaking the resolution down to a smaller
resolution, are there any programs that will grab the entire screen for the
TV picture?

Thanks for any information.

Andrew Leahy

Full screen TV in X?

Post by Ian Stirlin » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:11:56

>Hello,
>I have a Hauppagge (sp?) card that I use to watch TV using xawtv.  xawtv has
>a "full screen" mode that will put a reasonably-sized picture in the middle
>of a black background.  But it's generally much smaller than the entire
>screen.  Aside from manually tweaking the resolution down to a smaller
>resolution, are there any programs that will grab the entire screen for the
>TV picture?

This may well be a hardware limitation.
IIRC, the hauppage card can't put more than a 1024*768 picture up.
Not that surprising really, consider 1024*768*2*25 = roughly 39MB/s
This is a large fraction of the PCI bandwidth, which is 33Mhz*32 bits, or
about 128Mb/s. (this figure is never achieved)
You are running in overlay mode?

Why would you want to run at a high resolution?
For example, I've got a 768*576 mode setup
( Modeline    "768x576"        63  768 832 856 1000  576 590 595 630 )
This is tweaked for PAL at exactly (in theory) 100Hz, to reduce flicker.

I run at 1280x1024 with a rather larger virtual desktop, and can
have a window of up to a bit bigger than half the screen, or hit F
in the xawtv window, and it goes to fullscreen at the optimal (the
resolution of the signal) resolution.

Acting is merely the art of stopping a large number of people from coughing
                                                       - Sir Ralph Richardson

Full screen TV in X?

Post by Vladimir Florinsk » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:51:10

Quote:> Hello,

> I have a Hauppagge (sp?) card that I use to watch TV using xawtv.  xawtv
> has a "full screen" mode that will put a reasonably-sized picture in the
> middle of a black background.  But it's generally much smaller than the
> entire screen.  Aside from manually tweaking the resolution down to a
> smaller resolution, are there any programs that will grab the entire
> screen for the TV picture?

As someone mentioned, the card has a hardware limit on its picture size.
To use fullscreen a TV viewer would lower the resolution to match the
size. I find this rather awkward. Don't use the fullscreen option, but
just maximize the window to fill the entire screen. The software will
interpolate, but because this operation is done by the video card
hardware, the CPU load would not be noticeable (if you have XVideo, that
is).

--

Vladimir

Full screen TV in X?

Post by Steve Marti » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:05:30

> >I have a Hauppagge (sp?) card that I use to watch TV using xawtv.  xawtv has
> >a "full screen" mode that will put a reasonably-sized picture in the middle
> >of a black background.  But it's generally much smaller than the entire
> >screen.  Aside from manually tweaking the resolution down to a smaller
> >resolution, are there any programs that will grab the entire screen for the
> >TV picture?

None that I know of, but if you must have the picture fill the entire
monitor, you can tell xawtv to reduce the resolution "on-the-fly"
by putting the line

    fullscreen = 640x480

in your home directory's .xawtv file in the [global] section.

Once you do this, when you hit the "F" key to go fullscreen,
XFree86 shifts to a mode to make the window fill the screen
at a 640x480 resolution, in a virtual window (you can slide the
picture around with the mouse and see that the whole desktop
is still there, you've just done the equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-+
to get to 640x480 and panning to see the xawtv window).
Works for me, hope this helps.

Quote:> This may well be a hardware limitation.

I think this is probably correct. My Pinnacle card doesn't seem
to be able to do more than 640x480, but I find this to be
quite satisfactory, after all, I don't watch that much TV while
I'm on the computer.

Full screen TV in X?

Post by ad.. » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:25:31

>> >I have a Hauppagge (sp?) card that I use to watch TV using xawtv.  xawtv has
>> >a "full screen" mode that will put a reasonably-sized picture in the middle
>> >of a black background.  But it's generally much smaller than the entire
>> >screen.  Aside from manually tweaking the resolution down to a smaller
>> >resolution, are there any programs that will grab the entire screen for the
>> >TV picture?
> None that I know of, but if you must have the picture fill the entire
> monitor, you can tell xawtv to reduce the resolution "on-the-fly"
> by putting the line
>     fullscreen = 640x480
> in your home directory's .xawtv file in the [global] section.
> Once you do this, when you hit the "F" key to go fullscreen,
> XFree86 shifts to a mode to make the window fill the screen
> at a 640x480 resolution, in a virtual window (you can slide the
> picture around with the mouse and see that the whole desktop
> is still there, you've just done the equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-+
> to get to 640x480 and panning to see the xawtv window).
> Works for me, hope this helps.

It will only work if there's a 640x480 mode set up in the Screen section
he's using.  Otherwise, he'll continue to get the black box around a
smaller image.

Adam

Full screen TV in X?

Post by Steve Marti » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 21:40:47

> It will only work if there's a 640x480 mode set up in the Screen section
> he's using.  Otherwise, he'll continue to get the black box around a
> smaller image.

Absolutely correct. My comment presupposed that his XFree86 server
had a 640x480 mode available, which isn't necessarily true.
Thanks.

Full screen TV in X?

Post by Clifton T. Sharp Jr » Fri, 28 Sep 2001 06:26:42

> I have a Hauppagge (sp?) card that I use to watch TV using xawtv.  xawtv has
> a "full screen" mode that will put a reasonably-sized picture in the middle
> of a black background.  But it's generally much smaller than the entire
> screen.  Aside from manually tweaking the resolution down to a smaller
> resolution, are there any programs that will grab the entire screen for the
> TV picture?

Why do you want more than 640x480? NTSC doesn't even deliver *that* much
resolution. I can't imagine much improvement.

--
"I would have been happy to explain further, except you had by that
 point made it clear you would believe whatever you wanted to believe"