Running screen savers, but monitor doesn't go to sleep after XX min.

Running screen savers, but monitor doesn't go to sleep after XX min.

Post by a.. » Sat, 19 May 2001 05:22:48

Any ideas why after XX minutes, my monitor doesn't go to sleep (power
management)? If I put no screen saver, then the monitor goes to sleep (I
can see my monitor light is orange that means turned off). The screen
savers don't even take up that much CPU (depending on which one I pick).

I am using RedHat Linux v7.1, Pentium II 300 Mhz, 128 MB of RAM, an old
Diamond Stealth64 3000 series card (4 MB VRAM), IBM P72 17" monitor,
etc.

--
           "Everything tastes better at a picnic...the ants, the sand,
                                                everything." --unknown

   \ _ /                     The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
    ( )   ICQ UIN: 2223658. Resume: http://apu.edu/~philpi/resume.html

Running screen savers, but monitor doesn't go to sleep after XX min.

Post by Rober » Sat, 19 May 2001 20:35:53

Quote:> Any ideas why after XX minutes, my monitor doesn't go to sleep (power
> management)? If I put no screen saver, then the monitor goes to sleep (I
> can see my monitor light is orange that means turned off). The screen
> savers don't even take up that much CPU (depending on which one I pick).

> I am using RedHat Linux v7.1, Pentium II 300 Mhz, 128 MB of RAM, an old
> Diamond Stealth64 3000 series card (4 MB VRAM), IBM P72 17" monitor,
> etc.

Have you checked the screensaver options?  I'm using xscreensaver which has
its own power management options.  Don't know which ss you are using though,
or what windowmanager combination.  Anyway my s saver overides settings
elsewhere.
Hope this helps and isn't too basic,
Robert

--
remove Spamfree when replying directly

Post by a.. » Sun, 20 May 2001 03:05:32

>> Any ideas why after XX minutes, my monitor doesn't go to sleep (power
>> management)? If I put no screen saver, then the monitor goes to sleep (I
>> can see my monitor light is orange that means turned off). The screen
>> savers don't even take up that much CPU (depending on which one I pick).

>> I am using RedHat Linux v7.1, Pentium II 300 Mhz, 128 MB of RAM, an old
>> Diamond Stealth64 3000 series card (4 MB VRAM), IBM P72 17" monitor,
>> etc.
> Have you checked the screensaver options?  I'm using xscreensaver which has
> its own power management options.  Don't know which ss you are using though,
> or what windowmanager combination.  Anyway my s saver overides settings
> elsewhere.

I used various screen savers. I use Gnome v1.4, and the "Use Power Management"
checked and 20 minutes after SS started to shutdown the monitor. I use sawfish
for my Windows Manager. :)
--

Post by Dave Uhrin » Tue, 22 May 2001 01:32:07

> Any ideas why after XX minutes, my monitor doesn't go to sleep (power
> management)? If I put no screen saver, then the monitor goes to sleep (I
> can see my monitor light is orange that means turned off). The screen
> savers don't even take up that much CPU (depending on which one I pick).

> I am using RedHat Linux v7.1, Pentium II 300 Mhz, 128 MB of RAM, an old
> Diamond Stealth64 3000 series card (4 MB VRAM), IBM P72 17" monitor,
> etc.

man xset

To use the default settings,

$ xset +dpms

Post by a.. » Tue, 22 May 2001 07:15:14

>> Any ideas why after XX minutes, my monitor doesn't go to sleep (power
>> management)? If I put no screen saver, then the monitor goes to sleep (I
>> can see my monitor light is orange that means turned off). The screen
>> savers don't even take up that much CPU (depending on which one I pick).

>> I am using RedHat Linux v7.1, Pentium II 300 Mhz, 128 MB of RAM, an old
>> Diamond Stealth64 3000 series card (4 MB VRAM), IBM P72 17" monitor,
>> etc.

> man xset
> To use the default settings,
> $ xset +dpms

Dave, it doesn't appear to be working. I waited over an hour and I still see
my screen saver instead of black screen (monitor asleep). I find it strange
that if I disable screen saver, the DPMS does work. The CPU in top when running
screen saver is almost 0.
--
"I got this aunt... Carpenter ant." --Girl and Crow