Stupid Newbie asks a stupid question

Post by Joel M. Stree » Tue, 09 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm really new to Linux and X....in fact, I don't have either installed.
That's the point of the question. Is it possible to setup my computer to
run both Win95 and Linux? And without spending any money? I'm sorry if
this isn't the right place to ask the question...I'm just a stupid
newbie with a stupid little question.

Post by vi.. » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

: I'm really new to Linux and X....in fact, I don't have either installed.
: That's the point of the question. Is it possible to setup my computer to
: run both Win95 and Linux? And without spending any money? I'm sorry if
: this isn't the right place to ask the question...I'm just a stupid
: newbie with a stupid little question.

You can get better answer in comp.os.linux.setup
But sure, it is possible. At worst you may have to reinstall Windows
after repartitioning your hard disk, but it doesn't involve any money.

But I'll reccommend you to spend some money (not more than $50) for
good commercial Linux distribution which comes with printed installation
guide. Or, vice versa, by a book about Linux with have CD-ROM included.

Of course, you can download entire Linux distribution from net, but
I wouldn't reccommend doing so for newbie unless you have a place,
where you can download it and burn on the CD under Linux or some UNIX.
You'll have enough issues to cope with even if you have good CD with
RockRidge filesystem. Note also that distributions of Linux is quite
big (RedHat 4.2 is 200Mb without sources) and until you are familiar
with Linux and know exactly which things you don't need, it is better
to have full distribution (WITH sources) handy.

Institute for Commerce          Office:7-(095)-333-2022
Engineering                     Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
Programmer                      http://www.fe.msk.ru/~vitus

Post by Jil Tardif » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I'm really new to Linux and X....in fact, I don't have either installed.
> That's the point of the question. Is it possible to setup my computer to
> run both Win95 and Linux? And without spending any money? I'm sorry if
> this isn't the right place to ask the question...I'm just a stupid
> newbie with a stupid little question.

  Been there, done that  : - ) .  I've spent the past 2 months "fiddling"
with Linux, and the more I use it the better I like it!  As a matter of
fact, I'm putting together a new machine at work and I went to the effort
of making sure that *every* piece was Linux compatible.

I'm sending this from a laptop running Win95 and Linux.  I use BootManager
(IBM program that is bundled with Partition Magic) to choose my OS at boot
up.

I would check the "HOWTOs" (I think you can access them from www.linux.org)
for specifics. There is an amazing wealth of info out there.  You've
already found the best (newsgroups).

I agree with the earlier posting about buying a book with a distribution.

Cheapbytes (www.cheapbytes.com) has some *great* bundles. I bought Redhat
5.0  plus a copy of "Running Linux" by O'Reilly  for a total of $28.00 with
shipping. The book is *great* and the Redhat site has the actual redhat
installation guide online.

Good luck and enjoy!

Jil

Post by Stuart Shillingto » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> I'm really new to Linux and X....in fact, I don't have >either installed.
> That's the point of the question. Is it possible to setup my >computer to
> run both Win95 and Linux? And without spending any money? >I'm sorry if
> this isn't the right place to ask the question...I'm just a >stupid
> newbie with a stupid little question.

1. Stop defacing yourself. (Most) Everybody was a newbie
once, and its nothing to be ashamed of. I'm not.

2. Linux and Win95 can coexist. Linux goes on its separate partition.

http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Linux+Win95.html
can help with setting up different partitions.

Before you install Linux, I recommend doing one of two things.
        Read the Installation and Getting Started

Or buy a Linux Book (there are lots), that includes Linux on CD.

I wish you Luck with Linux. It may take a bit of reading to
get started, but its worth it. If you have any other questions
don't hesitate to ask.

1. stupid choice = another stupid newbie question

Hey Gang . . .

I installed RH 8 from an MS-DOS partition on my hdd.  I downloaded the 3
primary ISO's, created the install disk, and away we went.  Problem is I
only installed a few packages and left out most of the delvelopment RPM's.

Now I'm ready to start compiling code and I need those packages.  The
issue is the package manager doesn't allow me to tell it were to find
the ISO files, it just keeps looking at /dev/cdrom.  I don't want to do
a full reinstall and start from scratch.

suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

The Spleen

2. SCSI card ?

3. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

4. How can i mount a WinNT share ?

5. Stupid, stupid, stupid! FAT access rights...

6. how to start GLX?

7. stupid stupid stupid

8. IPFWADM/ IP Masq. / NIC Problem: Question

9. --stupid question but then there are no stupid questions--

10. Newbie asks stupid questions...

11. Stupid or not so stupid questions

12. Stupid, stupid question

13. One stupid question and one not so stupid