Swithching automatically between tinyX and full xfree

Swithching automatically between tinyX and full xfree

Post by Thierry Barus » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:29:13

Hi,

        I work for the Nokia Media Terminal (Linux-based Digital Tv box)
OpenSource platform project (www.ostdev.net) and full X requires to
much memory. I would too have a tinyX server in the :0 display and, if
an application requires it (e.g. a game) to start a full Xfree on :1.
        This solution seems possible (thanks to Wayne Throop) with the chvt
command. Knowing that I can get the information on which application
need which x-server, is this solution sounds "clean" to you:

If an app requires full xfree: start Xfree on :1 then switch to it. Is
there any special way to launch this x server saying "high priority
process" for better games performance? Maybe by using nice and change
the priorities (all on :0 at 20 and :1 at -20)

When an app requiring xfree terminates: switch to :0, kill full x
server on :1

Only one app at a time can be ran under full xfree.

        Tank you again for your help.

        Regards
--
        Thierry Barusta

1. XFree - how do I get a full console during xfree running?

hi

When XFree is running, I need to get back to the console, not a shell, the
real console.  How do I do it?

I need to do this because xfree sometimes just hangs on me, mouse moves,
but no window will select and can't type anything.  So I need to kill
xwindows, without restarting the computer......

I am running Redhat-5.0

Any help would be great!
phil

System Administrator                              work:  (603)424-5278
Internet Services of New England                  WWW:   www.isone.net
Merrimack, NH 03054                    "New England Internet for less"

2. Everex Tape-Motherboard Conflict under Unix but not DOS

3. TinyX with a nested full X

4. :Update:Sparc 2 blowout!!!!

5. compiling XFree (TinyX) for another system (cross compiling)

6. Locking on openewin exit

7. Matrox Mystique ands X.

8. getting to network from inside kernel

9. swithching to linux

10. Full Screen under XFree 3.3.5

11. " File System full " error message : but the partition is not full.

12. filesystem full -> It's not full

13. Disk full on non-full disk???