"transparent" login and remote X program execution?

"transparent" login and remote X program execution?

Post by none » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 09:47:40

Is it possible to run an X application remotely such that:

++ the login to the remote machine is performed automatically and
transparently

++ file open/save operations access local storage instead of storage on
the remote host

?

The situation is:

Having converted my wife's aging Pentium 200 with 96MB to Linux, I find
the only shortcoming at this point is a Word-compatible word processor
that will run acceptably on that hardware.

AbiWord is out because it doesn't support Word tables.  OpenOffice is
just too huge and slow for a P200.

I'm thinking about running OpenOffice remotely on our Linux server, but
I'd like to spare my wife having to log in via telnet or ssh and set
environmental variables.  Is there some way to make this process automatic?

How about working with local files from a remote application?

Thank you

"transparent" login and remote X program execution?

Post by Todd Knar » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 10:42:51

Quote:> ++ the login to the remote machine is performed automatically and
> transparently

Yes, but it requires that you use ssh to connect to the remote machine
and start the app and that you be running ssh-agent locally with all
your keys loaded into it, or that you use the highly-insecure rsh
tools with appropriate entries in .rhosts. I would recommend that you
go with ssh and ssh-agent.

Quote:> ++ file open/save operations access local storage instead of storage on
> the remote host

Yes, it merely requires that you use a network filesystem ( Samba/smbfs,
Coda, NFS, etc. ) to make the local machine's filesystem available to
the remote machine. Details vary depending on the particular systems
being used.

Quote:> Having converted my wife's aging Pentium 200 with 96MB to Linux, I find
> the only shortcoming at this point is a Word-compatible word processor
> that will run acceptably on that hardware.

Bye "Word-compatible", do you mean one that performs the same functions
as Word, or one that can read and write the [ multiple versions of the ]
Word file format?

--
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations.
                                -- JRR Tolkien

"transparent" login and remote X program execution?

Post by none » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 11:17:42

Quote:> Bye "Word-compatible", do you mean one that performs the same functions
> as Word, or one that can read and write the [ multiple versions of the ]
> Word file format?

The latter.  Her primary need is the ability to open/edit Word files
sent from colleagues at work as mail attachments.  (I suggested
requesting RTF documents instead, but she hasn't been indoctrinated
thoroughly enough to the ways of the penguin to fight that battle :-))

"transparent" login and remote X program execution?

Post by Todd Knar » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 13:06:26

Quote:> The latter.  Her primary need is the ability to open/edit Word files
> sent from colleagues at work as mail attachments.  (I suggested
> requesting RTF documents instead, but she hasn't been indoctrinated
> thoroughly enough to the ways of the penguin to fight that battle :-))

Then unfortunately the only sufficiently Word-compatible program
will be Word itself. MS shifts the format around too often. In fact,
not even Word is compatible enough, it's routine to find that version
n-1 of Word won't read files written by version n ( eg. Word95 couldn't
read Word98 files, Word98 couldn't read Word2K files ).

Note also that there's a security aspect. Word files can contain
executable code. RTF can't. If I were her, I'd put it to her colleagues
as a security issue: given the number of Word-targetted macro viruses
and the track record of Word failing to handle them correctly, you
can't put your computer and your work at risk by accepting Word files,
especially given that a simple "Save As..." can format the file into
something like RTF that can't carry viruses.

--

Post by Qnavry N. Abohg » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 10:16:11

>The latter.  Her primary need is the ability to open/edit Word files
>sent from colleagues at work as mail attachments.  (I suggested
>requesting RTF documents instead, but she hasn't been indoctrinated
>thoroughly enough to the ways of the penguin to fight that battle :-))

You can try AbiWord.  It handles most of the stuff correctly, at least
enough to understand what the contents of the document are.  Last time
I checked, it didn't handle form inputs and other strange things.

As pointed out in a previous post, setting up key-based ssh login to
run the remote app will work.  After that, just set up automounting
of a remote drive (automounting $HOME is probably the easiest, unless
she wants to only read/write in a specific directory under it).

Note: email addx rot13'd to confuse spambots.

-- DN
Daniel