comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup

comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup

Post by Theng U. U » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi All,

Could you tell me how to get my linux back???
O.K .. I have setup my red hat 4.0 on /dev/hda2 and my window 95 on /dev/hda1
I used to be able to run linx from dos by using loadlin.
Recently I have install window nt 4.0 after removing my window 95.
Also I have accidently delete my image file vmlinux for my linux kernel...

So now I don't know how to get back in linux..  I try boot from floppy but then it go to install the red hat again...
Also I try fdisk   to set active drive to linux drive but lilo won't work I guess since I have reformat my /dev/hda1 .. which is the place I install lilo.

Of course I can reinstall red hat again.. but then I would lost all the effort in setup my vga card to work...

Anyone got any suggestion would be appreciated...

regards,

Jason Ung

Post by Jens Ritt » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Hi All,

>Could you tell me how to get my linux back???
>O.K .. I have setup my red hat 4.0 on /dev/hda2 and my window 95 on /dev/hda1
>I used to be able to run linx from dos by using loadlin.
>Recently I have install window nt 4.0 after removing my window 95.
>Also I have accidently delete my image file vmlinux for my linux kernel...

Most install disks have a prompt, there you can give the option:

root=/dev/hda2

which boots the Kernel on the disks with /dev/hda2 mounted as root.
(at least debian and slackware have it) Compile the kernel and run lilo or
do whatever is apropriate for a NT / Linux dual boot system.

HTH

Jens